Tascam DR-60D Questions

The Immoral Mr Teas

Hi folks, a search didn't answer my specific question (to follow) so perhaps this thread might go on to serve others with their own specific questions on the DR-60D as and when.

So, I'm thinking of picking up a DR-60D as a very cheap and very portable 4 channel recorder. I like the idea of strapping it to the end of a boom for 2 channel FX recording - but my question refers to potential 4 channel use and its 3/4 input. Has anyone used the 3/4 mic in fed from the unbalanced

(-14dB) tape out of a Sound Devices (302, 442 etc)? I understand of course that I could go (attenuated) mic level out from a SD302 into the 3/4 in but was hoping if the signal out of the Mix Out wasn't too hot for the input it would not only save an attenuation + gain stage but I have the right cable  made up.

If anyone's tried this already I'd be most happy to hear the results. If indeed it's the case of 'slightly' too hot an output (which I could work around by working to a slightly lower level within the 302, ie setting limiters to +4dB or just applying less gain) I'd still consider it.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Jez Adamson, UK

Hi Patrick, thanks. I'd looked at the specs for the tascam and saw that they were in the ballpark with the max input level. The fact that the plug in power can be turned on and off further helps matters. But as you say, until its tried for real one doesn't really know if it works well, works with a little help, sounds good or sounds crap. I'm hoping that someone here who may have picked up a unit (or who sells them) may have already tried putting tone or audio through from one of the sound devices mixers? Cheers though for the figures.

Jez

• 8 months later...

Just pointed to this discussion to possibly help me deal with another issue regards a 442 and the dr60.

What I can say about you discussion is that I run the ta3 mix out from my 302 into the 3/4 on the tascam and it handles it just fine. No need to dial back the 302 output.

My current problem, though hopefull not a problem, is if I can run the direct outputs from my new 442 into the dr60 and not have any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, good to know. Its almost certain now that I'll plump for the DR70 over the 60 now ... at least before I manage to organise my next 'travelling light FX recording tour' whenever that might be. I like the idea now of carrying four DPA 4060s and that small recorder and still being able to record half decent surround atmos in hard to reach locations. Still, if I do come across or the opportunity arises to use the DR60 its nice to know that my mix out to 3.5 connection will do the trick.

Jez

Maybe not the best, but one of the smallest. I for one wouldn't agree with the assessment anyway. DPA make a surround mic themselves which they base on the 4060 (or 4061) capsule.

I have done very simple surround recordings with 4061, using myself as a baffle. But the mics are also separated by distance, so there will be some 'surround'. And in any way, I don't know what kind of contraption Jez is using with his mics