Idx L7s voltage

osa

I have 3x idx L7s's that i use with my 664 regularly. 2 are on the older side and 1 is relatively newer. I use an older 4 bank lithium charger with them that i bought off of ebay close to 10 years ago. On all 3 no matter how old i average 15.5 volts when fully charged. A friend of mine in town with basically the same rig says his batts, although newer, average 18 volts and he never has to change even on long days. On a similar long day i might go close to burning through all 3. Is simply buying new batteries the right move or is it possible my charger is not up to snuff for these batts and maybe a new charger is in order?

Ken P

Thanks guys for the replies. No one else that i cross paths with in town has anything that reads voltage, other thank this particular mixer. I will check his rig with my own eyes next time i see him. Bottom line is glad i am all good - thanks a ton!

Ken

bear in mind that 18v is the maximum input voltage for much of our current gear. and some manufacturers who i have spoken to about this have pretty much said 18.1v will toast the power supplies for the gear.

that said, i got hold of an 18v mains power supply for my hawk-woods APD-1 which puts out 17.2v under load - and didnt manage to blow any of my gear up.

Hi Ken,

New NP-L7S batteries can be as high as 16.8V hot off the charger. Some people here are saying lower voltages, but they may be reading voltage while the battery is under a load.  If your batteries are only charging to 15.5V, there may be an issue with your charger or the battery’s cells have started to deteriorate. If you have the serial numbers available, I can check the age of your gear. If you’d like us to evaluate your batteries or charger, please contact us at service.usa@idx.tv .

Thanks!

Hi Ken,

New NP-L7S batteries can be as high as 16.8V hot off the charger. Some people here are saying lower voltages, but they may be reading voltage while the battery is under a load. If your batteries are only charging to 15.5V, there may be an issue with your charger or the battery’s cells have started to deteriorate. If you have the serial numbers available, I can check the age of your gear. If you’d like us to evaluate your batteries or charger, please contact us at service.usa@idx.tv .

Thanks!

Could i evaluate myself where are now my lp7's in their lifespam by a test (other than let's say a duration test..)? If the cells are too old can a battery get "re-celled" by idx if there is such a thing?

I could just email you but i'm sure others would like to know too.

Could i evaluate myself where are now my lp7's in their lifespam by a test (other than let's say a duration test..)? If the cells are too old can a battery get "re-celled" by idx if there is such a thing?

I could just email you but i'm sure others would like to know too.

Hi Dominiquegreffard,

The best and most accurate way of testing a battery’s capacity is by discharging it with a constant load and measuring the time it takes to discharge the battery to its end point (11-12V).

For example, let’s say you are able to run a mixer that consumes 20W for 3 hours with a NP-L7S. This tells us that the battery capacity is approximately 60Wh, 88% of its original 68Wh capacity.  

IDX does not offer re-celling. We mainly do not offer this service because it requires the protection circuitry to be reused. Using old/aged protection circuitry reduces the level of safety and is potentially hazardous.  

If you are not able to evaluate your batteries, we can test/evaluate your batteries for $30 a unit.

I hope this info is helpful. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, working on a job with my friend in question. We were staggered and I had to jump in on his rig while he went to lunch. I had my own np1 lith in my back pocket and figured perfect time to test. I made sure his dc ref was set to 14-L ion. Dropped my batt in and sure enough he wasnt all the way crazy. It showed 18.2v on 664 but 16v on an sr. The sr reading is what my bag, both 664 and sr's, would normally read with this brand new batt i just bought. Its almost as if his mixer is 2v off on the readout. Does his bds v4 have anything to do with it? Mine is older vers 3 i believe. My old method with. 442 and 552 rigs was to get my voltage off of lectro receivers. Other than that my power knowledge is minimal. To think i just thought my fellow mixer friend was nuts all this time. Now i owe hime a beer. Bottom line, my batts are all ok. My charger is ok.

Ken P