Who Are You?

Jeff Wexler

Hey EZ St. welcome to Jeffs site, there is alot of talent here, I know you will learn and be entertained @ jwsound.net. Also, as I mentioned to Stu today, any boom op, or mixer who want to further their film sound recording education should attend Don Coufals class on boom operating and more, on 6/17. Check local 695 for info.

Regards

Old School

• 2 weeks later...

Christian, Originally from Chile, moved to NYC in 1990, been doing sound for 10 yrs, moved to california 2 yrs ago, do mostly doco and ENg stuff (PBS, Red-Apple ent etc..)  lots of gear, Love my job, my hobby and I get paid for doing it, my friends hate me.,..

Hi Everybody!

I'm Johnny Evans a boom operator and occasional ENG mixer of 15 years based in Los Angeles. I've worked on all types of productions. Most recently Alias, Nip/Tuck and David Lynch's "Inland Empire" as pictured on my profile.

I've learned a lot along the way but always enjoy new learning experiences.

Thanks Jeff for the forum.

A hearty handshake to all of you.

Johnny Evans

FYI: Randy Thom is giving a talk at the LA Film Festival on Friday June 23 from 9:45- 11:15 AM. The location is UCLA in the Little Theatre, Macgowan Hall. Its FREE to the public. I hope this information isn't redundant.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I was born in Chicago, 1966, of music professor parents. Motion Picture has always fascinated me. My Grandfather and Father created clever 8mm stop motion home movies. By third grade, my brother and I were creating our own.

Music, not film, was our family's heart and soul. By the time I was in fourth grade I was studying clarinet, piano and violin and singing in the choir. Somehow, there was still time to play second base in little league baseball). Otherwise, I was as musician as a musician kid could be. But I still had passion for film. In eighth grade I stole a book on movie special effects from the city library (didn't really steal it, just could never remember to take it back). I read it and re-read it for years. It dealt mostly with Star wars and the famed Dykstra-flex motion control camera system.

To work in the film industry, though, was far out of reach for a middle-class musician kid in the midwest.

Straight out of high school I built furniture at a high quality upholstery shop (but the music and passion for film never ceased). It was a great experience, but it wouldn't last. At twenty five years old, I decided to design a life with a little more thrill.

Six years later I graduated from the University of Michigan School of Music, program in music technology and recording engineering. I was fortunate to study under Professor John Monforte (formerly of Florida) after his transfer to Michigan in '96. He is extremely knowledgeable and a challenge to keep up with.

While earning the degree at Michigan, I co-designed and built 'Tazmania Studio' for singer's-songwriter's Ted Nugent and Michael Lutz (Michael of 'Brownsville Station' fame, Ted is Ted). I was a roadie with Michael's band for three years prior to college. Also while at Michigan, I flew back and forth and studied film scoring at UCLA's wonderful extension program. Upon recommendation by emmy award winning mixer Jim Vidi, I was asked to join in a company and build studios, being offered a decent income to drop out of school, but my sights were still set on Hollywood.

I moved to California upon graduation in '98 and have been Booming ever since. Seven years in Culver City.

My music and construction skills have kept food on the plate while ascending from the ranks of student films to Los Angeles SOUND UNION LOCAL 695. I've enjoyed following the C.A.S. discussion forum, and upon entering 695, was pleased to find this well moderated forum by Mr. Wexler. Thanks JW.

No plans for Mixing, just glad to know how it works. BOOM OP or BUST!

Yours,

Doug Brandon

IMDb.com

Hey Doug, welcome, Jeffs site is a treat, enjoy and post. Your background is quite well rounded and should serve you well in the craft of film sound. I also had no intention of becoming a mixer, I loved boom oping, it is the best seat in the house, and the key to a good track, but things change, so never say never cause someday you may find yourself in the chair, but until then enjoy, cause time goes fast.

Regards, Old School

Well, this is my first post. I can tell this place will be a good place to frequent, there's loads of good advice here and from premium sources!

So, a bit about me. My actual name is Mike Peter Reed (I add the Peter because 'Mike Reed' seems to be a really common name). About ten years ago I had a fledgling sound career, doing boom and/or recording on some severly low-budget films in London (where I was living at the time). I have rose-tinted memories of lugging a Nagra 4.2 around on some 18 hour days and filling out sound reports in the rain. In the UK we have the "ft2" apprenticeship programme, and I'd just got through to the second round of interviews (for sound dept), but there came a huge fork in the road and not much time for dithering. The ft2 apprecticeship (if I was successfully accepted) would pay me about £8000 a year. I could deal with that. But, at the same time I learned I was going to be a father! Doesn't take much maths to work out it would be a huge struggle on that money to raise a family and pay the rent. So I ended up choosing family and moving down to the south coast, and started a salaried job in IT. After a couple of years of the salaried job I got an opportunity to go contracting as an IT consultant at about £40 per hour for a 40 hour week. That gig lasted about a year before I got bored of the commute and the project wrapped. But I was hooked on self-employment and got another contract, still in IT, this time contracted at £30 per hour. Then in September 2001 it all went pear shaped and I was out on my ear with zero income for six months. Good job I'd saved some money! The IT industry sank, and there were 300+ applicants for every contract, not good odds. The best I could do was get a salaried job at about £12.50 per hour which just about covered my standard of living (which thankfully was and is still relatively frugal). Fast forward to 2006 and I'm still in IT as a main job on about £17.50 an hour, the kids are a bit more grown-up (yes I have two now, boy 7, girl 5) and I'm starting to make a foray back into location sound recording, specifically starting with low budget shoots for film and video where I more than likely end up recording and boom-op at the same time. I'm literally just starting to find my feet (and network) again but taking it as seriously as a Fostex FR2 will allow me.

I have a couple of websites that hopefully reveal a bit more about me-

http://www.harp28.com/ which also links to my blog at http://www.slog.me.uk/

I shot an expenses-only feature-length mockumentary in 2004, that's when I realised there's a shortage of decent sound people because they all seemed to be working happily for union rates!

http://www.blumpkin.me.uk/ (not to be taken too seriously!)

So, anyway, I hope my time here will be fruitful, even if I just end up lurking.

I have posted on here a few times and Im a regular on RAMPS. So I thought it would be good to introduce myself. My name is Whitney Ince also sometimes refered to as the "Sound Guy with a girls name". I have had a few jobs where they thought a female sound person was coming but those are for another time. I am 23 yrs old and I am based in Savannah Ga but work as a local out of South FL often. I have been doing primarly location sound for the last 4 years but have been involved in live sound since highschool. I spend most of my time doing non union reality tv and corporate video stuff since that is where the money is. However I have done 2 indie features and about 30-40 short films. I graduated in 05' from SCAD (The Savannah College of Art and Design) with a BFA in Sound design and Film/Tv. There was a time I wanted to be a camera operator but I am glad I ended up doing sound. I am currently working part time on a MFA in sound design as well and co own a webhosting and development company www.southwebhosting.com . It is nice to have a stable 2nd stream on income when the sound work is slow. I work often with Travis Groves who many of you met a NAB and the both of us are hoping to get some larger budget non union film work soon. I want to Thank all of you for your help and Jeff as well.

Whitney Ince

www.southwebhosting.com

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the baby of the family around here.

So...I'm Sonny, recently relocated from Indiana to Washington, D.C.

I spent too much time in school, so I've only been doing this and getting paid for it for a year.  During that time, I've been working in reality TV (boo!) pretty much full time (yay!).

I'm more or less self-taught (my education had more to do with post than being on location), and I've met very few other sound guys in person; so you'll probably see quite a bit of me on here trying to learn from you all.