Dpa lavaliers

Nir

Hi guys,

I'm about to get some new lavs for my kit, and I'm thinking about the DPA 4060 / 4061 / 4062. if you are one of the DPA users, I would like to hear some feedback about the product - which model do you use? advantage? disadvantage? etc,.

(the main use will be tv series and films, not reality shows)

Thank you, Nir

Use the 4071's regularly with a UR1M+UR5 wireless setup.

Pros: Sound great, quiet, easy placement with the ENG/Film Kit accessories (hidden and lapel mounted)

Cons: Price, microdot adapters for Tx(have had them come loose on a couple occasions), prone to clothing noise depending on how they're hidden/ less than ideal setups (in my experience - not stated as fact)

I find that the 4071 is good on women most of the time, but I have had several occasions where their voice sounds "weak" as compared to a COS-11.

Since I mostly put lavs on women on the inside of a cami or undershirt, and not to the skin, the open placement is great for a COS-11. If the mic requires a more buried placement, I'd likely go for the DPA.

It's not really a science here, as we all know. But this has been my recent experience.

Robert

Get a DPA and A/B it with any other lav.

I rest my case.

Hey Jan,

You have to give me some credit... :)

I did A/B test with the lavs I'm willing to buy - but, I also want to here some feedbacks from others.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry 3 types of lavs, the DPA, Sanken and Countryman.  In most cases I use the Countryman B6 because usually I can get a better mic placement with the B6.  Often it's in the open in plain sight sticking out of a tie or a button hole (but all but invisible if that makes sense).  The DPA does sound the best, but it's larger and when hidden under clothing most of the benefits disappear. BUT, when I know I'll be dealing with high SPLs (singing or screaming) the DPA handles the range better than all others. 

Billy Sarokin

Get a DPA and A/B it with any other lav.

I rest my case.

Hi Jan,

Are you referring to any single specific DPA lav that is your favorite?  Or for example, do you change them for use with male/female or Ints/ Ext., etc.?

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Like Billy, I carry DPA, Countryman B6 and COS-11D's (rarely used these days since most of them are older and even with a couple newer ones in the box, I just don't think of 'em too much for some reason, probably 'cause the DPA's sound so good).

Have three older 4071's I dearly love but have returned two new ones for 4063's that have yet to be used in the field.

Having used all three mic makes on one of my male actors with a bit of nasal/throat-based delivery, settled on the 4071 for him.

Also use the 4071's on two actresses with remarkable dynamic range and on #1, Miss Falco.

My plan is--once I've enough of 'em--to start there, having come to peace with their placement.

sadly, when i tried to order some 4073s i was told that they were being discontinued. so i ended up sticking with 4063's.

though when i say sticking with, i mean waiting on new models to get to me after they found the problem that stopped them playing nicely with zaxcom transmitters, and then made some updated white ones.