[Settings Thread]BMD Pocket Cinema Camera

Hey guys!

After an afternoon of testing I wanted to share some settings that worked well with a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera in various scenarios. I have one done right now and I'll hopefully get more time to sort out the others.

Scenario 1: BMPCC + Tascam DR-60D

To get a good signal out of the pair you need to use the following settings:

DR-60D:
1. Use the Line Out instead of the Camera Out. The hotter signal works much, much better with the BMPCC.

2. Crank the Line Out level to 10.

BMPCC:

1. Set the input level to Line.

2. Adjust inputs 1 & 2 to 15%.

That should give you a proper connection between the two. You'll have to do some more setting up to make sure that the input gain (Low, Med, High) produces a good enough signal on a per-input basis but I usually get good results from sticking with Mid.

Scenario 2: BMPCC + Zaxcom ERX

ERX:
1. Set Max Volume to 0db, and make sure that the ERX only outputs at that maximum volume.

2. Set timecode to output on the left channel
3. Set timecode voltage to output at .032 volts.

BMPCC:
1. Set the BMPCC to Mic level input.
2. Set both channels to 75%.

This should put both the timecode and tone at -20. The nice part about this is that Davinci Resolve can actually read audible timecode and stamp the file, then sync with production audio. It's not the most elegant system but it does work.

Scenario 3: BMPCC + Zaxcom Nomad (1/8" TRS)

[To be filled in]

Scenario 4: BMPCC + Sennheiser G3

[To be filled in]

I'm still baffled that Blackmagic -- which is generally a pretty bright company -- would not provide a built-in timecode generator, or at least a way to slap a jam box on the camera and get timecode from there.

The handful of projects I've done with the BMC camera just used the TILF approach: Treat It Like Film. No audio, no timecode, manually sync it all up. This is the unfortunate reality with a lot of toy cameras out there.

• 1 month later...

I'll add in for my workflow when using the Tascam + BMPCC (which is what I use at home):

I put two Sennheiser G3 RX on top of the camera, along with a stereo XY mic.  I record these to the four tracks on the Tascam, and send a line out mix of each (lavs to left channel, on-camera mic to right channel) back into the camera itself.

The Tascam has a neat little trick of adding a half of a second of tone to the beginning of each track, which helps sync tremendously.  Now, there's a clear reference point in addition to the audio for sync purposes.  If for some reason PluralEyes can't handle the task (and I haven't seen it fail using this method yet), I'd be able to line up the audio the old fashioned way.

post-691-0-54611400-1399957590_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blackmagic Design Announces Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for US$495.

Fremont, CA - July 16, 2014 - Blackmagic Design today announced an exciting Summer Special discount for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for the low price of US$495. With a normal recommended retail price of US$995, this Summer Special represents incredible value and is available for a limited time and will end on the 31st of August 2014. This Summer Special price is subject to limited availability, after which the price will return to the usual recommended retail price of US$995.

Rest of the press release here:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/pressdetails?releaseID=61418

Hey guys,

I have a shoot coming up with one of this miniature toy camera. I'm a bit reluctant when it comes to sending primary audio to this type of cameras. I have never work with one before and it seems like there will be a big wave of "dOps" jumping on the bandwagon..Should I treat it just like a 5D?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

re:Blackmagic pocket, cine camera settings. I just did 3 days with a BMC pocket and a BM cine camera. both cams had latest firmware with the meters available on screen. No problems feeding them, G2 to the pocket cam at mic level out to 1/8" mini, hardwired to the bigger one withWooden Camera XLR module attached. Mostly both cams rolling.  mic level out of my 633 via XLR and -10 to AUX1 for G2. Simultaneous recording on 633. Client wanted primary audio on camera because of short edit timeline.Checked playback, sounded fine. This project was for a major corporation's web use. sort of a purposely low-fi affair, picture and soundwise (although the Blackmagics looked really good. This is becoming quite common, sort of a Youtube type feel. I've dubbed it "Hipstervision". Meters on both camera systems display Fsc digital scale. No marking for -20, but had -24 and -16. split the difference and played it safe level wise. Client got backup .WAV files. no TC on camera, of course, but all takes had dumb sticks. Charged accordingly. Everybody happy so far.