Direct outputs out of phase w/mix outs.

Rakesh Anderson

I've been working on my old Audio Developments 062 mixer that has had active balanced direct outputs added at some point. The direct outs are out of phase with the mix outs. I was going to reverse pins 2 and 3 at the dir outs, but I was wondering if that was by design.

Is there a reason you would want to have your dir outs and mix outs out of phase with eachother?

A seperate but related question: unbalancing balanced outputs.

transformer balanced outputs you can unbalance by shorting pins 1 and 3, and for imepdance and active balanced, you should float pin 3.

What if your pin 2 and 3 are reversed (had a panasonic mixer that had pin 3+ and 2- on the outputs), and your unbalanced cable has 1 and 3 tied together or 3 floated?

If the DOs are aftermarket mods then all bets are off--could be a mistake, or could be what whoever did the mod needed, right?  To me having DOs out of phase with the mix outs is an audio problem waiting to happen, a land mine you will over at some very inopportune moment.  If it's easy I'd change them all to the same phase right away.  The DOs I did to my AD mixer (AD145, long ago) I made sure were IN phase with the other outputs/

philp

It would be really easy to reverse pins 2 and 3 at the connectors. I made a test cable and reversed pins 2 and 3 just to make sure, and I guess I can snip what should be pin 3 just to test unbalancing it and if there's still signal then I'm fine. I plan on using the DOs balanced, but I just want to make sure it can be done.

I've talked to them a few times about other things, but the direct outputs are not factory.

Ok I figured it out. If I reverse pins 2 and 3 on the DOs they will be in phase with the mix outputs and I can float pin 3 (the correct one) unbalancing the output just fine.

I should have tried that before asking.

Thanks