Sample of Sennheiser MKH 8050

Sound Art Film

It seems that ... by the time you sort out things like distance, axis, size of room, what is in the room, background noise, recorder settings, what you are listening to it on, and a few other things... how would you process in your head what your hearing?  

I would think it would simply sound good..

I believe you would have to plug it into your package to really get a feel for what it actually sounds like...  Mic-mxr/recorder-your headphones.

Maybe get one from one of the usual suspects and take a listen..

It reminds me of the old commercial where they are selling a "SOUND GREAT TV..." they play the sound of the TV and ask   "doesn't that sound great?".

What, through my TV? ::)

Maybe someone will post something..

I think for a situation like this, you need to rent or borrow an MKH8050 for a weekend and actually try it out. The only time I've tried one (right next to an MKH50, which I love) has been at past NAB and SMPTE shows, which is hardly the place to try to hear subtle differences between a mic. I think the MKH50 is small enough that I don't need the further size reduction of the 8050.

Dialog samples and video tests of mics are just useless IMHO. A write up is better in so many ways ; an experienced user have put the mic though its paces and tried different scenarios and locations. A sample or a video just shows how the mic performs in that particular room, with that particular source, with that particular preamp and so forth.. You'd need a thousand samples! And also a few other factors are more important perhaps than the sound; how it performs in different weathers, in different mounts (how much it little rumble it produces etc) the size...

It's like buying clothes. You need to try it on.

SAF: " just a sample of some dialog with the 8050 "

but that would depend a lot on the archers wielding the mic... (mixer/boomer) as well as the other equipment in the chain...

you have probably already heard such dialog if you watch any movies and TV, etc.  could you tell the differences amongst the mic's used..?

If available to you, I'd recommend going to the nearest rental house. I'm fairly certain that (if you ask nicely) they would let you come in, grab as many mics you would like to listen to, and set you up to test them out right there and then at their location. You can then record the files and take a listen! HTH.

:-) SAF, I like it!!

For those curious enough, I already have done some comparison of lav microphones. You can check it out here:

I plan on comparing other lavs in the future too, such as DPA, Countryman etc.

I also really like the mic comparisons done by Dan Brockett at:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html

Cheers!

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

When I had one here, it sound very bright on top and bottom; smiley face EQ. The Rycote Lyre got rid of low end handling noise, but it was still bright on top.

Best to rent one to see if it meets your needs. I can see that walking in grass or gravel or on pavement with small rocks with that EQ could pick up a lot of foot noise. Others may have more info.

Regards,

Ty Ford