PSC solice mini

Max Dumesnil

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I would have rather seen 2 mic inputs at least myself, how often do you get the opportunity for having two booms?  Really love the idea though..... small, compact, simple.....totally smokes the idea of a control surface that just has pots & faders.

The missing link (and what I had hoped to find on SD's silver platter reveal last fall).  

Well done guys!

Hopefully PSC's gonna rock some serious sales.

(just to nit pick, no master fader, but that's a personal preference of course; nevertheless I'm "all aboard"!)

Limited mic-pre's? No problem, I hoard, plenty at my disposal to interface with (hang on to your versatile portable mixers, you just never know?) mic-pre to line level direct out, yup can do.

Disclaimer for the pedantic among us: missing link refers to price+ergonomics+features; yes there has been and continues to be a plentitude of boards available for the cart based mixer.  However, the gap created by a glut in the market of (relatively) affordable multi-track recorders was wanting of the Solicemini or some similarly priced 1st hand product, IMO.

Indeed Tom. The Mini solice can be interfaced really in many different ways. For instance it can be inline ( wireless receivers plus into it, and then it plugs into a recorder Isos ), or what I call in parallel, ( feeding it's input from the direct out of a recorder, creating a mix within it and returning it's mix out into the link I/o in order to get it in the recorder LR track. The second way is by far the fastest has it is only six ta3 ( for the direct out ) and a link I/O cable to connect. Thus switching back and forth ( bag to cart to bag ) is really quick.

Pindrop,

While the Db 25 connectors screw into the mini to lock them in place, you have 7 XLR's on the input side hanging free. Just another potential place for connection issues. I understand that size factor of the mini required the Db connectors but for me were I looking at the Mini for purchase the Db25 connections would be a no sale.

Eric

Although I would have rather seen 2 mic inputs at least myself, how often do you get the opportunity for having two booms?  Really love the idea though..... small, compact, simple.....totally smokes the idea of a control surface that just has pots & faders.

I had the same notion myself. The extra mic inputs would have not only been great just for two booms scenarios, but for stash mics as well. Though, if using it paired with a 664, you could easily just run direct outs from each input at line level to the Solice mini, and the the mix back up to the 664.

I understand that this was design with a specific set-up in mind, and think that it will do really well, especially at the price!

Think about it tho.. You can interface the Solice with your 664 on channels 7-12 and keep 1-6 open for potential expansion if another boom or something else is required.

I envision using the mini solice with the 664 mounted above it so accessing the menus, transport functions and 1-6 faders would be extremely easy.