PSC solice mini

Max Dumesnil

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had mine since August.

I feed it from an Octopack, then run the main outs to Ch11-12 to record L/R mix. Direct outs feed ISOs on 664, Ch1-8. I power it, the 664, the Octopack and my Blackmagic Lynx monitors off a Hot Box, fed by the Remote Audio PSHOT adapter. I use it on a Rastorder Foldup with an SKB-VS1 sliding drawer.

The good:

it's small, lightweight, sounds clean, gets the job done for the price point.

Less good:

Headphone amp seems a bit anemic. Find myself monitoring from 664 when I need the gas. Headphone selector switch feels flimsy.

Still happy overall and it fills a gap I've had since I sold my 788t/CL-9 combo last year.

Thanks sean for the feedback. I was planning on what seems like a similar setup. Are you feeding cams from the 664, and by chance keeping it able to breakaway for bag work or is your setup strictly cart based?

Ken

Hi Ken.

While I can yank the 664/Octopack off the cart if need be, I'd most likely use my 633 in a separate bag if I had to go mobile.

Yup, feeding cams from 664, as it has so many options for that.

Thanks sean for the feedback. I was planning on what seems like a similar setup. Are you feeding cams from the 664, and by chance keeping it able to breakaway for bag work or is your setup strictly cart based?

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Solice Mini last week and very excited to have it now to say the least. Currently running tests with my setup via lithium NP1 for now but looking into other power options as well as an AC power supply to have multiple power options on hand when renting out. I called PSC and tech support said one is not officially available yet but a 12-14v 2 amp AC power supply would do the job. they offered to modify an existing power supply for another mixer (swap out to 4 pin xlrf) at roughly $100. I also contacted a usual suspect to see what options they may have available.

In the meantime does anyone have anything in use to recommend for AC adaptation?

Ken

I received my Solice Mini last week and very excited to have it now to say the least. Currently running tests with my setup via lithium NP1 for now but looking into other power options as well as an AC power supply to have multiple power options on hand when renting out. I called PSC and tech support said one is not officially available yet but a 12-14v 2 amp AC power supply would do the job. they offered to modify an existing power supply for another mixer (swap out to 4 pin xlrf) at roughly $100. I also contacted a usual suspect to see what options they may have available.

In the meantime does anyone have anything in use to recommend for AC adaptation?

Ken

Good question. I just received my Solice Mini last week and haven't had time to research this yet. 

osa quotes RM: " a 12-14v 2 amp AC power supply would do the job. "

pretty available...

Agreed - and swapping the connector is easy enough, but is it safe to use some random power supply that meets these specs but is designed for something else? I imagine so but certainly dont want to damage this new mixer. I would prefer a solution from a usual susp vs ebay, or also prefer a users suggestion of a quality power supply that they might be using and having success with.

Ken

Most any "Regulated" 12Vdc power supply that is rated at 2 amps or more will work just fine.  The Solice Mini will operate from 10 to 15Vdc.  It nominally draws about 575mA at 12.8Vdc.  Slightly more with the meters peaking and the meter brightness turned up.  One amp would be about the most it would ever draw (peak conditions).   We recommend regulated power supplies for all audio applications as they help keep the noise (ac hum) floor down. 

Ron Meyer

PSC

I buy these all the time off of ebay and put a 4p FXLR on them.  They have worked great for all the audio applications I have tried, and there have been quite a few! 

APS AD-740U-1120

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APS-Advanced-Power-Solution-Power-Supply-Model-AD-740U-1120-MDP3-12V-3A-/231361744296?pt=Multipurpose_AC_to_DC_Adapters&hash=item35de3c0da8

There is also a 13.8 volt version, model #: AD-740U-1138 that I frequently use as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASP-Power-Supply-AD-740U-1138-13-8V-2-8A-6-PIN-/400213396584?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item5d2e93cc68

Tom

I buy these all the time off of ebay and put a 4p FXLR on them. They have worked great for all the audio applications I have tried, and there have been quite a few!

APS AD-740U-1120

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APS-Advanced-Power-Solution-Power-Supply-Model-AD-740U-1120-MDP3-12V-3A-/231361744296?pt=Multipurpose_AC_to_DC_Adapters&hash=item35de3c0da8

There is also a 13.8 volt version, model #: AD-740U-1138 that I frequently use as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASP-Power-Supply-AD-740U-1138-13-8V-2-8A-6-PIN-/400213396584?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item5d2e93cc68

Tom

Thanks! This is the type i was looking for rather than the thousands of wallwarts on ebay. I thought maybe i might have one on hand but none have the right amps.

Ken

Ken

I currently power my Foldup Cart using a Remote Audio Hot Box and their PSHOT power supply. It's beefy enough to handle a fully loaded Octopack, a Marshal Lynx dual monitor, the Solice Mini, and my 664. I also have an SLA batt that can run it all while waiting for house power.

• 4 years later...

I had one here for a little while and eventually sold it just because it didn’t have quite the routing flexibility I needed. It’s a pretty simple mixer but if you’re ok with limited routing I think it’s a great choice. It’s very well made and sounds great. 

-Mike