PSC solice mini

Max Dumesnil

Am I seeing things? Is the external power input on a 6pin when the industry standard is 4 pin.

post-1-0-95989200-1403114452_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a 4-pin --- I think the 4 pins are casting a shadow in this image that makes it look like more pins. The pin designation (above) only talks about pin 1 gnd, pin 4 +10- 14 VDC

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone.  It is a 4 pin male chassis connector......standard connector and pin out.  Below are a few photos of the upcoming mixer:    This Solice Mini will be shown the upcoming Atlanta Sound Mixer event this weekend.  Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the event.  Richard Van Dyke will be bringing it with him.  Please note that the production model will have a DB-25 Male chassis connector for the audio outputs.

Ron Meyer

PSC

solicemini7.jpg

solicemini8.jpg

solicemini2.jpg

solicemini1.jpg

Gosh that looks very good. I can't quite tell but is that still a ta5 for the slate mic on the front panel or is it now a mini? Ta5 was nice to plug in an omnigoose or a lav. Nice switches. Nice to see led brightness adjustment and slate mic level adjustment too.

But Ron, the pots on my M6 went to 11!  These only go to 10!

Sweet thing it is.

philp

The external slate microphone connector is now a 3.5mm mini jack.

No worries Philip, even though it only goes to 10, it has LOTS of headroom.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

We are working very hard on the assembly of these mixers.   I have parts stacked up to my eye balls here at PSC.   The circuits boards are being stuffed now.  The chassis are finished, anodized and powder coated.  We still have a lot of assembly work to do in the next week or so.   I "think" we will begin shipping units on or about August 1st.   I will make a formal announcement most likely by the end of next week.  I know it has been a long wait for this product.  We want to make sure everything goes smooth and without issue.  Thank all once and again for your feedback during the design process of this mixer.  I would also like to publicly thank Pascal for all of his time and effort.   This product exists because of his ideas.

Ron Meyer

PSC

• 1 month later...

Indeed Tom. The Mini solice can be interfaced really in many different ways. For instance it can be inline ( wireless receivers plus into it, and then it plugs into a recorder Isos ), or what I call in parallel, ( feeding it's input from the direct out of a recorder, creating a mix within it and returning it's mix out into the link I/o in order to get it in the recorder LR track. The second way is by far the fastest has it is only six ta3 ( for the direct out ) and a link I/O cable to connect. Thus switching back and forth ( bag to cart to bag ) is really quick.

Hi there,

so you take the direct outs off the 664 into the solice, what cable do you use for the lin return? dual xlr to 5 pin mini xlr? Ive been going over in my head best setup to utilise it to the max, without forfeiting an iso track as mix.

My only downer on this is if you want to use a radio boom. I think if it could be modded to accept mic or line on 1 and 2 would have been great giving the opportunity for a radio boom or wired.

Indeed Senator. Worked hard with Ron on this. Many many phone calls. Ron is an amazing guy, really an incredible experience.

For me, a second boom is a wired boom, as my first boom is always wireless.

The idea is to keep the price and size down.

I think Ch 1 and 2 would have been great as mic or line, and then 6 line. Just so there are boom options for wired or wireless.

With my 664 I can't think of a way to do it all as koine level inputs with the mixer. I would want to achieve 2 radio booms and 6 personals on lectros.

sharp: " I think Ch 1 and 2 would have been great as mic or line, and then 6 line "

pads

Padding the signal to then bring it back to line is going to have a negative effect on the signal path though is it not?

Though I would probably use them as an alternative anyway. Venue rack has only 6 rads after all. useful to have the mic so 2 rads could be given to artists and boom onto wires.

As has a been mentioned this isn't the answer for everything but to feed 6 inputs on a 664 or 633 it is fantastic so I will remember that :)

sharp: " Padding the signal to then bring it back to line is going to have a negative effect on the signal path though is it not? "

it depends...

could Ma and Pa Kettle, at home watching notice..?

and could even you tell..?

OTOH

Larry F: " the two pin wiring of a standard COS-11 results in 4% distortion at moderately high audio levels with somewhat undefined gain. The source resistor in the TA5 configuration reduces that same audio level to 0.5%. This shows that in the real world, listeners really don't need exotic amplifiers with 0.0001% distortion. I base that on the fact that a lot of critical listeners use the COS-11 in the two wire mode. "

Edited by studiomprd

sharp: " Padding the signal to then bring it back to line is going to have a negative effect on the signal path though is it not? "

it depends...

could Ma and Pa Kettle, at home watching notice..?

and could even you tell..?

OTOH

Larry F: " the two pin wiring of a standard COS-11 results in 4% distortion at moderately high audio levels with somewhat undefined gain. The source resistor in the TA5 configuration reduces that same audio level to 0.5%. This shows that in the real world, listeners really don't need exotic amplifiers with 0.0001% distortion. I base that on the fact that a lot of critical listeners use the COS-11 in the two wire mode. "

Your quite right on the general public listening through a TV set and tbh even the cinemas distort to hell these days so no you probably can't tell. Its just if something is to be done its worth doing the best way possible but with that in mind Im not going to buy a £10k mixer for the same audio to be compressed and aired on shitty TV speakers so it is somewhat catch 22!

Future setup

SD 664 with PSC mini Solice. Venue rack with 6 VTR, 2 X 416 2 X MKH 50. I think with that set up I can do a hell of a lot of TV