PSC solice mini

Max Dumesnil

I know i am late to the party but i am in love with the possibilities of this mixer. I cant stop dreaming about it over the last couple days. The idea mentioned about qrx outputs split feeding this mini and a recorder simultaneously was someting that never occured to me. Sheer genius all around. Loved reading this thread and seeing it go from pit to plate!

Ken

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pascal and Ron,

Congrats on a great product.

Since you were involved in the design any idea why the cross talk specs are low?

I know not the judge gear by the specs but the cross talk does seam a lot lower compared to other gear.

Thanks

Got mine yesterday. If it is like the demo I had ( 7 inputs version ), it is very promising!!!

YouTube video detailing the Hydra cable system connecting a bag system to a Solice Mini in seconds. The Solice segment starts at 2:10 but if you're unfamiliar with the Hydra system the entire video is worth a peek.

I was actually testing and developing this system at the same time as some of you were discussing a DB25 breakaway solution in the bag for the Solice Mini. I couldn't say anything then, but we have everything ready to go and are shipping these products through Gotham Sound.

Enjoy!

What Twin audio ( hydra cables makers ) are doing with their hydra line was at the core of the idea for the solice mini. Basically since it is not a simple USB connection ( CL9 style ), we wanted to have something that would interconnect real quick. Since the SRB already have a very light weitgt db25 connector ( using the Unislot plate adapter ) it was simple to add another db25 connection point in bethween the SRB outputs ( or other wireless receivers ) and the input connectors fan out for the mixer/recorder.

Even if the hydra looks really good, if you are using Lectros SRB or Wisycom receivers, I believe that a db25 connectors scheme is best since you can also integrate power into the same connectors.

But if you are not a soldering man, then Hydra is pretty slick solution.

I have received my Solice a little time ago but I immediately lent it to a good friend of mine for a drama series he is on, still waiting for his feedback.

Marc I agree. There is a way around that.

If you leave your wireless connected into input 1-6 on the 664, then use the Individual direct out to feed the Solice mini. Create a mix in the solice and feed the mix link of the 664 with the output of the solice mini. So basically ISO wireless into 664, create a mix with the solice. Limited to 6 source but it is pretty safe...

• 2 months later...

Curious to know any updates from solice mini users. about to buy one before the end of the year for use with a 664 or 633 depending on job requirements. has the solice mini been working out good so far? any hydra users or custom breakaway cable configs for cart-to-run-n-gun?

Ken

I've had mine since August.

I feed it from an Octopack, then run the main outs to Ch11-12 to record L/R mix. Direct outs feed ISOs on 664, Ch1-8. I power it, the 664, the Octopack and my Blackmagic Lynx monitors off a Hot Box, fed by the Remote Audio PSHOT adapter. I use it on a Rastorder Foldup with an SKB-VS1 sliding drawer.

The good: 
it's small, lightweight, sounds clean, gets the job done for the price point. 

Less good:
Headphone amp seems a bit anemic. Find myself monitoring from 664 when I need the gas. Headphone selector switch feels flimsy. 

Still happy overall and it fills a gap I've had since I sold my 788t/CL-9 combo last year.

Sean is absolutely correct in saying our headphone amps are on the anemic side.  All of our mixers have been designed this way.   We try to stay within the 8 hour SPL hearing limits as set forth by Cal OHSA and more importantly, the House Ear Institute.  As our owners manuals say "Your ears are your livelihood, turn it down"  

We have on occasion modified our headphone amplifiers for greater output level.  It is an easy change to make.  We do require that our customers sign a liability release for this kind of modification.  We seem to be the only mixer manufacture that worries about excessive SPL and hearing loss.  I have had many customers call me up over the years asking about increasing their headphone amplifier output levels.  When I explain why we build ours the way we do, they generally change their minds and keep the original levels.  I fully understand that there are times when more level would be helpful, but listener ear fatigue causes most of us to keep turning up the volume as the day goes on and this practice is dangerous if that volume can go to high levels.  Your ears get "tired" and you don't really notice how high a SPL you are listening to.  Now back to the original topic.

Ron Meyer

PSC

Dear Ron Mayer, I applaud you for considering your customer's ears and your wish to protect them.

I do have a question about this, though.

Doesn't the actual SPL arriving at the ears depend to a great deal on the impedance and build of the headphones? And doesn't it also depend on the SPL of the input signal? I often record quiet voices whispering something to someone. In such a case stronger amps would be useful, while still not damaging the ears.

I did actually work on a show where there were frequent and unexpected loud noises (small explosions and such). For this I bought a set of Beyerdynamic headphones with a limiter built in. These really do protect my ears of the actual SPLs.