New DPA lavs?

soundtrane

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good but I don't like the idea of "visual size is of less importance" --- how much larger are these lavs?

post-1-0-32517600-1396453979_thumb.jpg

The d:screet™ Heavy Duty is our toughest miniature microphone. Made for situations where you require the maximum amount of security and where the visual size is of less importance, the d:screet Heavy-duty which features a stainless steel housing, a heavy-duty cable relief and a thick 2.2 mm cable

The d:screet™ series of Miniature Omnidirectional Microphones are the versatile workhorses that adapts to your needs. With eminent sound quality, a large range of accessories, and adapters available for all pro wireless systems, the d:screet Miniature Omni Mics are the obvious choice for any application requiring a big sound and a small footprint.

The d:screet Heavy Duty Omnidirectional Miniature Microphone comes with either our 4060 high sensitivity or our 4061 low sensitivity capsule and in either black or beige.

Thanks interesting, a ruggedized version of the 4060, same spec, actually same size head (though there's typo in the spec that says 5.4 cm (over 2") lets hope not!), more strain relief, possibly a thicker cable, and stainless steel housing!

Break that if you can, careless lav wearers!

My one complaint with DPA is the durability factor vs. other lavs I have used. This new more rugged mic might be a good way to go providing it isn't really substantially any larger (realizing that it is a little longer, obviously, but that shouldn't be a big issue).

We had our rep here demo the new DPA mics and they are actually fairly rugged indeed. The strain relief at the capsule end is reinforced from what I was told. You could pretty much stand on them and they would survive although I would not recommend you all try it..................

jw: " but I don't like the idea of "visual size is of less importance" --- "

seems pretty straightforward to me:  typically called a tradeoff.

remember we are not their main market sector, and it would seem that many of their other customers we sharing your feeling: " My one complaint with DPA is the durability factor vs. other lavs I have used. " while for them " visual size is of less importance " and so they accepted this tradeoff to develop these more rugged models... ya' think?

post-2758-0-53591900-1396535094_thumb.jp

Like all the stock Sennheiser cables that come with the G3 units.... anytime they have this "built in" style of strain relief, they are MORE prone to breakage... not less... That has been my experience.. 

I do think the Senator is correct in saying, WE are not really the target group.... and,  it is for sure a trade off that must be weighed by the person buying the mic....

TJW:  " for stage use. "

it seems to me many of the folks in stage sound seem to have a different mindset than many folks here: the body mic's are expendables, they are subject to wear and tear, and so they are watched for signs of impending issues, and replaced when appropriate, including routine replacements over time.  sort of like our rental houses do...

Hopefully DPA have already, (or can make) the cable connection into the micro dot connector more rugged because I had to give up on micro dots (though a useful idea) as they kept breaking and were very expensive to repair.

They have done this in the recent revisions.

I've handled them but haven't got any yet to put them thru their paces.

On the one I saw the microdot connection to cable looked like the head of this one

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=128&item=24741

jw: " but I don't like the idea of "visual size is of less importance" --- "

seems pretty straightforward to me: typically called a tradeoff.

remember we are not their main market sector, and it would seem that many of their other customers we sharing your feeling: " My one complaint with DPA is the durability factor vs. other lavs I have used. " while for them " visual size is of less importance " and so they accepted this tradeoff to develop these more rugged models... ya' think?

Sorry but your dead wrong. DPA's main market is sound for wireless applications. Both sound mixers and live sound techs share this market.

The head is the same size, the 'body' of the mic is longer (slightly longer than a Sanken Cos-11) and the cable diameter is comparable to the Sanken as well. I didn't ask about the voltage requirements, or whether or not a low-dc version might become available, but in a later conversation he did mention that the 4063 is the only low-DC mic they are making. Whether that's currently, or ever, remains to be seen.

myke: " DPA's main market is sound for wireless applications. "

not what they told me,  but note  I did not say "for wireless applications", I said "we are not their main market sector"

and we are not nearly all of the wireless microphone sector...

we often are hiding our mic's, as stage users* frequently are, but many wireless mic applications are visible, and are quite happy to trade off some size for more durability...

* on stage, size may be less important for many hiding situation, like in wigs, etc.

Edited by studiomprd