New DPA lavs?

soundtrane

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I work with DPAs all The time and don't think I ever had one break at the head for me. Although I know some mixers who aren't that gentle with gear, and I heard about it hapoening :P. But The Biggest draw back for me with this new mic is it won't fit the concealers (if they don't make a new version of that too).

I work with DPAs all The time and don't think I ever had one break at the head for me. Although I know some mixers who aren't that gentle with gear, and I heard about it hapoening :P. But The Biggest draw back for me with this new mic is it won't fit the concealers (if they don't make a new version of that too).

It'd be a GIANT concealer. It would be called the Revealer. Rugged Revealer... That mic just looks insane. It's no lav, it's a larva! I can also say that I've been using DPA lavs for some 6 or maybe even more years, NEVER had one break, except one, but that one had a bad microdot connector. I'd be happy if they made the microdots more rugged, and went for smaller capsules instead. I don't wanna put a huge worm on my talents. "But hey, at least it's rugged..." pffft.

Olle: " I'd be happy if they made the microdots more rugged, and went for smaller capsules instead. "

I'm guessing they did not make this one for you...

be happy, anyway! ::)

RW: " I heard about it hapoening "

I'm suspecting DPA heard about it, too... :unsure:

Hey I'm always happy! I have no issues with the DPAs as they are. Just dreamin'. Know you don't like it :P

It'd be a GIANT concealer. It would be called the Revealer. Rugged Revealer... That mic just looks insane. It's no lav, it's a larva! I can also say that I've been using DPA lavs for some 6 or maybe even more years, NEVER had one break, except one, but that one had a bad microdot connector. I'd be happy if they made the microdots more rugged, and went for smaller capsules instead. I don't wanna put a huge worm on my talents. "But hey, at least it's rugged..." pffft.

Hahaha, the revealer, nice one Olle :D. Yeah, I've never had a microdot break, BUT I've had them screw themself up on more than one ocation :P. Not a big fan of the microdot, the idea sounds better in theory than it is in practice. Love the lavs though :).

• 10 months later...

Head seems not to be bigger than 4071. Cable is.

Just another standard 4060 obsolete (cable break at head) - if they didn't sound that nice...

Newer standard 4060 have a little cable reinforcement just under the capsule (about 5-7mm long) which do not make them bigger and still fit the standard concealer.

Called DPA todays and they assured that a concealer for the heavy duty will come. He suggested to watch some newer stresstest videos:

• 2 years later...
Like what?
There are posts in this thread that say that 4060/4071s are prone to durabilty problems. This is my experience as well, I've had multiple 4060/4071 problems over the past couple of months, breakage/short at the head. I got a slim more recently. Other posts claim that it looks like the slim has a stronger connector at the head. Has anyone found slims to be more durable than 4050/4071s? Same? Less?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The problem is if you use the mics with a  dpa concealer. The edge of it is too long and goes over the plastic protection next to the head. 

It is a horrible design and something that I fought with dpa about. The fix for that is reducing the size of the concealer. I never use full size concealer because it distroys microphones. 

Look at the pictures bellow

A few years ago I had a little heated argument with DPA USA about the size of the concealer and how it wears out  and breaks mics. Now days a lot of people presume that dpa mics are not very sturdy and strong. As somebody who have used dpa miniature mics almost exclusively for more then a decade I can attest that the main  reason for breaking  is a design flaw with the size of the concealer and Mic head plastic tubing. Since I made my concealer smaller I have had zero problems . Look at the picture bellow and pay attention to the 2 concealer sizes - mine and the original one - and you will see the obvious design flaw. If DPA extend the plastic tubing I will be happy to use bigger concelears which a better for attaching to fabric having more adhesive area and not showing the  corners on fabric as much.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Image may contain: one or more people and text

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Yes interesting, thanks. That could explain why I almost never have any issues with my DPA‘s, whereas everyone else around  me is. I rarely use concealers...

I love the "my" concealers and for the business I am in they are very important. But when I lost my first Mic I found the design flaw and contacted " to be fair" DPA USA " not Denmark".

I really tried to argue and change their mind so more people don't get problems with their mics. It did not work. That was before I designed the slim and pushed them in to making it...