New Recorder from SD, the "970"

Solid Goldberger

yes, big and fast changes for the better... :-)

found a couple of old photos of that MX2424 setup back in 2004.

thank god those days are over!

try putting that on a cart ;) looks awesome.

Sound Devices please make a usable I/o control panel for this thing!!!

I do not want big yammie 01V96 mixer on my cart at this time.

yes!!! +111111111

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen & Hearth, Behringer, PreSonus, and Shure all have Dante mixer interfaces in addition to Yamaha.

Thanks Marc. Was not aware it was already so ubiquitous. I was under the impression Dante was very new.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call the Dante compatable offerings from Yamaha or PreSonus "Small," Looking at A&H iLive, none of them are small by the time you'd have to add on a stage box to get some I/O. The Behringer X32 producer is the smallest I can see with 16 press on the board. Bummer that you would then lose USB support, and that is still a sizable mixer for a cart.

I would betcha $1000 that there will be a goodly number of Dante-compatible mixers unveiled at NAB next week. 

The key to me is: how many compact mixers designed for portable use will there be? I'd be surprised if there's much beyond the Yamaha 01V96, and it's still AC-operated. I would love to see a digital mixer with this same footprint that weighed less, had maybe just 2 mic pres, 8 analogue inputs, and had at least 8 faders (in four or five layers), all DC operated. Basically, a PSC Solice with Dante.

While a small DC powered mixer with Dante would be a great addition, personally, I would love to see something along the lines of a compact db25->Dante converter. Something akin to the lectro BOB, but in a tighter, more ruggedized package (say, the size of a downconverter). This way, we could continue to interface our analog mixers of choice with all of this new tech.

I would betcha $1000 that there will be a goodly number of Dante-compatible mixers unveiled at NAB next week.

The key to me is: how many compact mixers designed for portable use will there be? I'd be surprised if there's much beyond the Yamaha 01X, and it's still AC-operated. I would love to see a digital mixer with this same footprint that weighed less, had maybe just 2 mic pres, 8 analogue inputs, and had at least 8 faders (in four or five layers), all DC operated. Basically, a PSC Solice with Dante.

The new Solice Mini is all that minus Dante and layers. They're still doing some design changes though...

+2 Wyatt!

There is a limit to how small they can go, though. All manufacturers that support Dante use one of two OEM assembled Dante boards they buy from Audinate. The Ultimo board for 2 in - 2 out, or Brooklyn 2 board, that does anything bigger. The Brooklyn 2 board is about the size of one of those down convertors, then the manufacturer needs to mount it on a host board with their own AD/DA conversion, connectors and so on. I think the Lectro DNT BOB 88 one is about as small as is practicable at the moment. Four Audio and Atterotech in Europe have similar products, but aren't easily available outside the EU. More will come, I'm sure, but it sure would be great if Sound Devices, Lectro, or PSC made one that's ruggedised and conveniently powered for our use.

Could someone explain how machine control and metadata works through Pixnet? Could I use an iPad like we do with the 788T? Thanks.

PIXNet is HTTP based, so it is usable with any standard web browser. 

In the case of the iPad, you'd need to add a WiFi router to get access to the network.

marc: " much beyond the Yamaha 01V96, "

I would say that is really neither "compact" nor "designed for portable use" in our sense of those terms, (if only because it requires AC power)

OTOH, lots of other devices that include DANTE are compact and designed for portable use; the Shure mixers come to mind...

BAB: " Solice Mini is all that minus Dante and layers.... Was not aware it was already so ubiquitous. "

wake up, BAB, the Solice is not even close, as it is 100% analog... DANTE is 100% digital...

DANTE has been showing up, and is being adopted all over the audio equipment spectrum, as you'll see when you visit their web site.

--sent from one of my personal computing devices,using a web browsing program

can you tell which ones?

marc: " much beyond the Yamaha 01V96, "

that is really neither "compact" or "designed for portable use" in our sense of those terms, (if only because it requires AC power)

OTOH, los of other devices that include DANTE are compact and designed for portable use; the shure mixers come to mind...

BAB: " Solice Mini is all that minus Dante and layers.... Was not aware it was already so ubiquitous. "

wake up, BAB, the solice is not even close, as it is 100% analog... DANTE is 100% digital...

DANTE has been showing up all over the audio spectrum, as you'll see when you visit their web site.

I'm awake and aware. It's just a pipe dream. I'm just too excited. Is it wrong that I really want the 970 even though I really don't need it right now?