6 new Ambient products

TimoK

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK the Teradek products on their own have a delay of 10-100ms depending on the product. So it would probably be similar here?

Thanks Constantin

Yes it's the same here and as you stated, the delay even differs within their product range. That's why i don't want to give any numbers we don't have control of with our gear.

P.S. Yes, the LockitSCRIPT as well as the Tonmeister apps offer a live view directly from the streamingbox. As you get the metadata etc. via Bluetooth WiFi for streaming connection is still available. Therefor the video delay is the standard WiFi streaming delay of the system you use.

The ACN-ML additionally records the Teradek and Vitec streams as proxy files to its built-in memory, connects them with the metadata and makes them available for later review in the LockitSCRIPT app.

Thanks. It sounds like the delay is quite variable depending on the system. I'm not sure how much delay 'most' Teradek stuff has and if that would make it an appropriate alternative for directors picture and audio monitoring which was what interested me.

You mention that takes are stored for 'later review'. Does this mean that it takes a while for them to appear on the network for playback? Or is it largely instantaneous?

By any chance, would there be an example of the PDF sound report created with Tonmeister ? Customizable header with logo, columns, general data ... a little like "WaveAgent meets MovieSlate" ?

I will create one today during the show and post it tonight. The sample reports i have right now are German.

By the way, Timo, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. This is a very exciting set of new products and I'm very keen to try them out asap!

Nobody's offended actually i was hoping that somebody would share his experience with streaming boxes.

The actual idea of integrating streaming into the apps was:

Tonmeister app: To give the sound mixer a picture to show framing etc before the shot can be very helpful.

LockitSCRIPT: What we learned from script and continuities we interviewed is that delay is not that big issue for them but offering an instant wireless access to the recorded proxys in your app with all the metadata ready for review and correction is something they were waiting for for a long time.

Yes, the camera audio embedded into the SDI to your streaming box is included in the livestream and the proxies.

I already have 2 tiny lockits and am looking forward to the possibilities of how I can expand my system. Hooray.

I am loving the idea of a fully integrated system we are finally coming up with a great solution for a modern workflow.

I took a long and good look at the Teradeck stuff. It's fairly cheap and you can view things on any iDevice, Tablet, whatever. That's great, but the delay just isn't great. It's true that it helps to assess the framing before the shot, but sonetimes I'll help the boom-op find the line and the delay would make it harder to tell "Now you're in". Some delay is fine for me, but 100ms is too much. For scripty I can imagine this to be great, and for everyone on set, too, if they can access takes on their device. AC can check focus, and so on

What about displaying the actual meters ?

Will that be available or did Sound Devices kept this feature exclusive for their app ?

• Arm and name tracks
  • Remote record stop
  • Track clipping indicator
  • Route inputs, outputs, and headphones
  • Display and meter brightness control
  • Edit scene, take, add notes for upcoming and all recorded takes
  • Automated clip list synchronization with LockitScript app*
  • Works with CL-WiFi and ACN-BT

Optional CL-WiFi plug-in features:

If get the current version of the slate.  Will it be upgradable when the backlight feature is available.?  This is one of the hinderances for me getting this slate right now.

Of course you can.

You just unscrew the four screws holding the clap stick slide out the module and slide it into the backlight version. It's a 30 seconds job and can even be done in a run and gun situation.

What about displaying the actual meters ?

Will that be available or did Sound Devices kept this feature exclusive for their app ?

As the CL-WiFi meters are far away from accurate we decided not to implement them. But we implemented a clipping indicator. Do you think you'll need the meters?

Meters-  

even though Not terribly accurate, with CL-WIFI it has been a very helpful to use the meters to double double check that i had the proper tracks armed.  Being able to see a track name attached to an active meter has saved me from some routing/ track naming mistakes.  Even if that meter is not displaying timely level information it still has value.

New slate battery compartment.

As an owner of older style lockit slates.  I always thought the battery compartments were a weak link.  The hinged copper piece that connects and secures the batteries gave me some worries.  I have had that portion repaired on my slates.  Not easy.  Does the newer slate offer a more robust connection?  

Meters-  

even though Not terribly accurate, with CL-WIFI it has been a very helpful to use the meters to double double check that i had the proper tracks armed.  Being able to see a track name attached to an active meter has saved me from some routing/ track naming mistakes.  Even if that meter is not displaying timely level information it still has value.

+1

BTW, everything else looks great, I'm definitely jumping in. 

The transmission styles between the two systems (ACN and Zaxnet) are very different. Glenn MAY be able to implement some of the ACN features into current Zaxnet using Ambients TC chipset and retain his existing transmission style, but I have no idea how that would work with current Zaxnet features, so that's a question for Glenn.

...mainly: does he WANT to ?

The ACN is kind of open source vs zaxcom who tends to be proprietary... I think it's at minimum as much a business model question as it is a technical one... ( ACN "doors" are wide opened and, in fact, the basic idea )