788 lock up

radarblaster

okay, this has happened before, recording 8 tracks, not unusual for me, at 8 tracks, 20 hrs of space. recording started fine, then SD788 locks in the record mode, a "close to" 10 K tone begins to emit and all keys are locked. the fix is to take out battery and remove DC 4 pin cable in order to "start over" and reboot 788 and start to record again. this has happened on different 788s and also while recording to ext drive/int drive and CF card. i sometimes change metadata (scene #) while recording when the scripty has not announced the new scene. (not their fault-its part of the process). i have had partial takes okay up until this point but today i got nothing up until this point and the take was NG for sound. the file says "format unrecognizable"

Check all the files on each media. Copy file from HD to ext, it'll probably be there, although you might have lost last 20 seconds.

Then... Make sure you are using approved CF media for the 788T. I don't use internal CF any more. I use EXT CF with approved media only.

Then... Don't change file names while you're rolling 8 tracks. Rename after the take. While you can do it (I do a lot), why take chances asking computer to perform extra task while it's already recording 8 tracks.

Robert

Hi Robert

The reason you don't use the internal CF?

What external CF do you use?

Not sure what relation there is between editing metadata and the 788 locking up. I edit the metadata all the time while recording and the VERY RARE lock ups don't seem to relate to this editing. Yes you can get a lock up while editing metadata BUT I also get lock ups when I am not editing the metadata.

It's really important that you only use approved media and that you keep the internal drive in a healthy state; with more than 1/4 of total drive space free and freshly formatted after deleting files to keep the file index in good shape.

I've had zero problems with Delkin UDMA6 (500X) media up to 10 tracks on the 788 -- not a single lockup ever. And I'm pretty OCD about changing metadata and getting it right. I usually do just the internal HD and one CF card, no more than that.

Question for Mr. (or Ms.) Radarblaster: what specific media are you using? What firmware? 

The last time I called SD support [800-505-0625] I had worked out the problem, which was a menu mode that could crash the machine. I just avoided going to that mode... and when I told the guy on the phone when he called back an hour or two later, they took care of it as a bug fix a few months later. Crap happens. 

Re metadata editing: I don't get this. It's an additional task and of course it can have an impact on the overall performance of the recorder. It's like in the old days when it was recommended to switch off the screen saver when working in ProTools.

It's very easy to change metadata after a take.

Moreover, I want to listen closely to what I'm recording and concentrate on mixing and not be distracted by secrerarial tasks

The locking RED screaming machine...

I have had this exact "freeze happen to me.....  Froze in RECORD..... screeching 10K tone and would not stop until power was pulled...    CF card I had used with no problem for quite some time... Sandisk Extreme pro 90mbs....  6 tracks.... 38 min into shot... (don't ask)..

Machine was pretty hot, on stage, latest firmware....  Also running on SSD hard drive... NO EXT DRIVE.

Pulled card... Data not there....  Checked HD, it was there and fine till the freeze....  as Robert says..... 

Put in a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 160mbs CF card.... no problems since....  Faster = better?  Who knows... usually, yes...  But, it still should be "approved"..My other 90mbs was purchased in Sept 13... faster one just came down the pike not too long ago.....

What can you say.... Did the old card Choke?.... Did it go bad?... too much data for the 90mbs..?  Machine got too hot?   Who knows... Never happened since....  I do think it was simply an error in data processing of the CF card.... IMHO... Crap happens...  Back up and running in about 4 min....  Included check of take on HD to make sure data was there... Simply plugged into Laptop and dragged file to desktop and looked..

I think it's the card itself, not the port or way in which it is mounted.... The only other time I had a similar issue I was running all three data possibilities...  CF, HD and External Lacie rugged drive.  It seemed it did not care for ALL THAT DATA TO WRITE... But who really can pinpoint this... 

Less tracks I have never had an issue..

Marc,  Whats the menu mode that crashes the machine.... the $20 question...? ::)

I think it's the card itself, not the port or way in which it is mounted.... The only other time I had a similar issue I was running all three data possibilities... CF, HD and External Lacie rugged drive. It seemed it did not care for ALL THAT DATA TO WRITE...

I have never had any issues like this, and I always record to three media, frequently 10 tracks. Both the CF slot and the EXT drive contain approved SanDisk CF-Cards, at 16 and 32 gig

I have never had any issues like this, and I always record to three media, frequently 10 tracks. Both the CF slot and the EXT drive contain approved SanDisk CF-Cards, at 16 and 32 gig

Who knows... I have had the freeze issue happen a few times with all three... so i stopped ... until the last freeze issue... than I changed cards and it seems to work well... I really do not know... it is one of those situations that happen when they happen, trying to recreate or figure it out is difficult...  

Reminds me of taking your car in for an electrical problem... they always say... "can't fix because we can't replicate the problem.."

blaster: " this has happened on different 788s "

... using highest speed approved media...

and you have not discussed this with SD ??

on their support forum...?  on email to them..?? on the telephone (toll free SD support [800-505-0625] ??

shame on you.

AFMY: " Whats the menu mode that crashes the machine. " none... it has long since been fixed.

blaster: " this has happened on different 788s "

... using highest speed approved media...

and you have not discussed this with SD ??

on their support forum...?  on email to them..?? on the telephone (toll free SD support [800-505-0625] ??

shame on you.

AFMY: " Whats the menu mode that crashes the machine. " none... it has long since been fixed.

Well, chalk up NOT THIS MENU MODE causing the latest crash then...   i am current on firmware....  Humm..

Media speed is irrelevant, in my uninformed opinion.

I recorded 8 tracks lots if times on an old 133x Kingston card. My buddy still uses piles of old cards, all of which are unapproved Kingston and other old cards. No problems at all.

Then something changed, for many of us anyway. Media needed to be "approved". It was how the card wrote the data, not how fast.

The ONLY trouble I have ever had was with a card inside the machine. Two lock ups over a few years, but both within a couple of weeks, and both with low track count and short run time. Since I never used it anyway, I just popped it out.

No trouble since, except with a bad file or two on the wonky Delkin run of cards. But the files were complete and intact on the SSD. Copied over to new CF. No problem.

Robert

Marc,  Whats the menu mode that crashes the machine.... the $20 question...? ::)

Can't remember! After I had updated the firmware about 18 months ago, I went through all the menu items, scrolled around, made a selection, then bounced back to the main screen... and it completely locked up. No tones, no lights, no nothing, just dead to the world. Reseated the batteries, came back fine. Called SD, gave them the menu item... and they told me that bug fix was coming in about 5-6 weeks, which it did. Once 3.0 hit, I couldn't figure out a way to crash the 788 (short of dropping it on concrete). 

All CF cards are a little dodgy, and as we saw with Delkin, even the same size cards and model could still crash the new 633. Delkin acknowledged the problem and traded out the old cards for new ones, and apparently the new ones are fine. BTW, I frequently used slow, crappy 166X cards when I had low track counts on the 788 (2-4 tracks), and those never failed. I think when you stress out the card with high data rates, there's a risk at not using 500x-600x-700x media. Last I checked, most of "the usual suspects" were only carrying the newest 1000X media. 

I also remember the Deva 5.8 crashing with certain bad cards, but in their case, their OS didn't like fast cards, which seems unusual. They did eventually sort that out, and as far as I know, the Max and Nomad are rock-solid in terms of recording and media reliability.

• 7 months later...

My 4.5 year old 788T SSD crashed for the first time ever the other day near the end of a 30 minute, 7 track "take" on a lifestyle show.

I had a new Sandisk Extreme 120 MBPS card in for the first time. Not Extreme Pro.... Had the high pitched squeal and the "cycle power" warning come on the screen. The NP1 was still solid, but I switched to a new NP1 and restarted the machine, took a minute to pass audio through to my snake and to the camera. Waited until the status LEDs went green on the HD and CF indicators. Then started recording. Lost some content obviously, and continued on.

Next day phoned SD and the tech advisor said that I should replace the SSD as they only have a finite number of read and write cycles in their lifespan. Whatever.  Installed a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD and a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card.

Will format the SSD more often in the future.

Mikey NOT ALL problems can be fixed by the mgs's on line : all the above questions/answers/same problems are legtimate,so are the answers..Is this a 'trip to the mothershipquestion, or can the JW sound forum help in the fix?

Am still awaiting answers/Fix to some of the questions I asked SD(Casey) regarding some 664 issues and never (OK he replyed,but no fix...) got a satifactory answer.

...Way to go forum!!

• 3 months later...