Playback

Following a recommendation from a couple of mixers on this forum a few years ago I have been using Adobe Audition for playback which has been excellent IMHO. I'm now told that things would be better if I used Pro-Tools instead of Audition but couldn't explain why. Anyone like to give some input?

Malcolm Davies A.m.p.s. CAS.

There are a lot of people who claim that Pro-Tools is the only DAW that is appropriate to do anything with. These people are full of it, and are just repeating what they've heard from others. Many DAWs out there have the same (or BETTER) features.

Pro-Tools, like it or not has become the defacto standard in post production and music recording. Thus it is cross platform compatible, from the recording studio, to the music supervisor, music playback operator - then onto picture and sound editorial and then the dub stage. 

If your clients have been happy with you using Adobe Audition then I don't see a problem. Have you been on shoots where they have insisted on only providing Pro-Tools sessions? 

It seems to me that Pro tools is the "Catch phrase" for a playback system just like " Deva" was for a while with file based recorders...    It's what "they" have heard bounced about...  If people need to chop and edit the playback track up 20 ways it is great, others are as well... but if say your playing back for mood or dance requiring no changes, as we all know..most anything will do...

Depending on what you are doing with Audition, be aware that when Adobe adds features you will not be able to upgrade via purchase. Adobe no longer sells its products or upgrades, instead charging a monthly fee, which in the case of Audition is currently $20/month or $240/yr plus tax.

Here is Adobe's page on how it now markets Audition: http://www.adobe.com/products/audition.html

Upgrades may not be an issue if you're just using Audition for playback, although in that case Audacity, which is free, may work just as well for you.

Pro-Tools, like it or not has become the defacto standard in post production and music recording. Thus it is cross platform compatible, from the recording studio, to the music supervisor, music playback operator - then onto picture and sound editorial and then the dub stage. 

If your clients have been happy with you using Adobe Audition then I don't see a problem. Have you been on shoots where they have insisted on only providing Pro-Tools sessions?

Not one Richard. We have done some quite complex playback on jobs with Audition but the comment from other mixers has been "are you still using that".

Malcolm Davies.

Depending on what you are doing with Audition, be aware that when Adobe adds features you will not be able to upgrade via purchase. Adobe no longer sells its products or upgrades, instead charging a monthly fee, which in the case of Audition is currently $20/month or $240/yr plus tax.

This reason and this reason alone is enough for me to avoid Adobe products whenever possible.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

I have been using Adobe Audition for playback for a number of years with good results. Typically, I don't want or need all the bloated stuff that comes along with PT (unless we are doing some very complicated playbacks).

I have been staying with older versions to avoid paying the fee, which I agree is quite annoying. A real mistake on Adobe's part if they hope to gain any more traction in the marketplace.

Most of the playbacks I do are 8 channels or less in output spread, which is easily accomodted by a number of interfaces. The system has typically been very solid, and if the track count is low I can run it off a Windows laptop. I've also used the Red Rover remote with the system, which gives some handy hardware control.

--S

I have been using Adobe Audition for playback for a number of years with good results. Typically, I don't want or need all the bloated stuff that comes along with PT (unless we are doing some very complicated playbacks).

I have been staying with older versions to avoid paying the fee, which I agree is quite annoying. A real mistake on Adobe's part if they hope to gain any more traction in the marketplace.

Cloud based tools and storage/software as a service is rapidly gaining traction. At the moment, it looks like Adobe's move to this approach is going to be very successful, and I think it is likely that we will see competing vendors copy Adobe's model. The monthly fee is annoying, but if one looks at the whole package it has distinct attractions. In any event, and while it may not be for everyone, the actual reaction of Adobe's clients, and the numbers, suggest that Adobe has called it right.

I don't see how using Audition is good or bad. If it works for you then it's good IMO. I use PT because it is what I first learned and I use it all the time in my home studio and have a high comfort level with it. The only advantage I can see with PT is as Richard points out, it is the most used in music and post.

CrewC

I don't see how using Audition is good or bad. If it works for you then it's good IMO. I use PT because it is what I first learned and I use it all the time in my home studio and have a high comfort level with it. The only advantage I can see with PT is as Richard points out, it is the most used in music and post.

CrewC

From what I've noticed, in Europe folks are favoring Nuendo and Logic.

And in the states, more and more music folks are going Reaper/Logic

The only reason I can see for having to use PT for playback would be that someone else was making sessions for you (as on  a musical episodic etc).  On my jobs I end up making the playback sessions myself, so it doesn't matter what I use. Some of the very biggest jobs I've done were played off of Audacity (freeware).

philp

The only reason I can see for having to use PT for playback would be that someone else was making sessions for you (as on  a musical episodic etc).  On my jobs I end up making the playback sessions myself, so it doesn't matter what I use. Some of the very biggest jobs I've done were played off of Audacity (freeware).

philp

i use audacity as well.  i figure if a job needs more, we should get a playback operator

I use pt because i am really efficient with it. Can i make in the moment speed changes on other software while the producers are starting at me and everyone is waiting for the new tempo? Sure. Can i do a lot faster with pt because i've done it a thousand times in pt? Yes. That's why i use it.

The program is irrelevant if the music plays when it's supposed to.

Following a recommendation from a couple of mixers on this forum a few years ago I have been using Adobe Audition for playback which has been excellent IMHO. I'm now told that things would be better if I used Pro-Tools instead of Audition but couldn't explain why. Anyone like to give some input?

Malcolm Davies A.m.p.s. CAS.

Meanwhile, no one has responded directly to Mr. Davies's question.

Following a recommendation from a couple of mixers on this forum a few years ago I have been using Adobe Audition for playback which has been excellent IMHO. I'm now told that things would be better if I used Pro-Tools instead of Audition but couldn't explain why. 

I think Pro Tools is a better choice when you do have to hand sessions back and forth to post, but there's no reason why simple playback tools couldn't work in different situations. I've used Courtney Goodin's BWF-Widget Pro quite a few times on a real cheap netbook, and it's been stellar for that purpose. The trick is, I have to use Pro Tools to prep the file, providing embedded timecode and also audible timecode on channel 2 for a wireless slate display. I'm sure there are other programs that can do that as well, but Pro Tools is what I know, plus I'm confident it's reliable for what I need it to do.

I think Pro Tools is a better choice when you do have to hand sessions back and forth to post, but there's no reason why simple playback tools couldn't work in different situations. I've used Courtney Goodin's BWF-Widget Pro quite a few times on a real cheap netbook, and it's been stellar for that purpose. The trick is, I have to use Pro Tools to prep the file, providing embedded timecode and also audible timecode on channel 2 for a wireless slate display. I'm sure there are other programs that can do that as well, but Pro Tools is what I know, plus I'm confident it's reliable for what I need it to do.

Talk about a blast from the past. I haven't heard about Mr. Goodin or his software in years, although I will never forget buying his "product".

Dealing with Mr. Goodin, his sale to me of BWF-Widget Pro and his treatment of me as a customer was the worst experience that I've ever had buying software, but thankfully not serious money and the sole bad experience that I've had with vendors of recording gear, hardware or software.

Dealing with Mr. Goodin, his sale to me of BWF-Widget Pro and his treatment of me as a customer was the worst experience that I've ever had buying software, but thankfully not serious money and the sole bad experience that I've had with vendors of recording gear, hardware or software.

Courtney hangs around here on occasion, is a well-known LA 695 member, and all I can say is that his software was a tremendous resource for us in the dailies business in the past 15 years. I agree he has strong opinions, but he's a very bright guy and BWF-Widget Pro actually works well. 

If he's your sole bad experience, I'd say you're very lucky. (Actually, I've almost never had bad experiences with recording gear sales people... mine are all with cheap bastid producers!)

Meanwhile, no one has responded directly to Mr. Davies's question.

MDA:

"I'm now told that things would be better if I used Pro-Tools instead of Audition but couldn't explain why."

Be better how...? Functionally or making you more recognized by people hiring you because you use a "known" program....?

Maybe that's the confusion..

Cloud based tools and storage/software as a service is rapidly gaining traction. At the moment, it looks like Adobe's move to this approach is going to be very successful, and I think it is likely that we will see competing vendors copy Adobe's model. The monthly fee is annoying, but if one looks at the whole package it has distinct attractions. In any event, and while it may not be for everyone, the actual reaction of Adobe's clients, and the numbers, suggest that Adobe has called it right.

It would not surprise me at all if the next round of upgrades from Avid go cloud-based as well.

philp

Speak of the devil...

NAB:

http://www.stockhouse.com/news/press-releases/2014/04/05/avid-announces-flexible-licensing-and-deployment-options-for-artist-suite-video

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/documents/datasheets/Media_Composer/Media_Composer_License_Comparison_Guide_cs_A4.pdf