WisyCom now available in North America

Glen Trew

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some questions about these off the top of my head (and yes I've tried contacting the manufacturer but they never respond):

- Will the transmitters be able to be set to 100mW on the USA version?

- Will anyone be renting these for demo anytime soon?

- Will a Lectro 400 compatibility mode be possible?

- Do the receivers work in Lectro Octopack (I think Ron said at some point they will work in the PSC six pack)

- Are they compatible with off-the-shelf sennheiser 3-pin lemo lavs or Zaxcom lavs?

- Who will service these in USA?

- Can I get it in black? (they do make them in black!) ;)

Thank you! 

Bigger question! Will having another player in the wireless market help keep us from losing all of our spectrum??

100 more wireless companies couldn't even come close to the influence (money) the telecom industry, who is buying up all the spectrum has.

I'm happy to see more broadband options arriving on the market.

Im interested in the drop in as well but need to know more about if and what compatibility modes it offers.  At this point I would still go with the lecto unit as most other camera ops have them installed and it makes hop situations easy.  Unless that is I could use it to pick up a lectrosonics signal.

Those prices are a bloody joke.

Wisy is a European company, yet the US cost is a fraction of what we pay. £1389 for a receiver when converted from US dollars. £964 for a transmitter.

In the UK a receiver costs £3330, transmitters cost £2042.

Which begs the question - Wisycom, are you taking the piss?

Is import duty generally about 6% in the US? I could be wrong.

Either way if we use the lowest quoted ex VAT UK price compared to the no tax US price it's still a staggering difference.

When we buy Lectro, Sound Devices and Zaxcom gear in the UK it's very expensive. Broadly speaking though the higher pricing makes some sense when taking into account import duty from a non EU country, shipping costs and any local safety and manufacturing guidelines that have to be met. I'm personally inclined to think that this is sometimes an excuse for a price bump but there is a logic to the economics.

Here we have an EU product that ships the short distance from Italy to the UK with no import duty and will be manufactured under EU guidelines. It is subject to import tax to come into the US, an extended shipping distance and must satisfy any associated local costs.

Yet it's still practically half the price. Just...what the hell???

True. The downsides are occasionally differing spec (like lectro eu/us deviation),warranty support, cutting out your local dealer etc. having said that. On the current deal at trew. It's nearly good enough to buy an entire spare set!

As ngc points out buying abroad has many possible downsides not least of which is that the UK dealer and repair house may not be too amused to be cut of the equation and would be well within their rights to refuse to service them. Added to which the whole gift idea is stretching the boundaries of legality. Customs may very well examine the parcel and decide you need to be slapped with full import costs (although at these prices it might still be cheaper! )

Wisycom are allowed to sell their products at whatever price they feel suits their differing markets. However, I can't imagine US mixers being very happy if they suddenly discovered that the most expensive equipment produced by their 'local' companies Zaxcom, SD et al were selling at half price in the EU.

If I had to guss that lower price may well go up in a year.  It is probably an introductory rate since WisyCom is not particularly known here in the states.  If they can get Say a couple of the big tv ownership groups to bite at those rates and change over from their legacy lectrosonics units then raise the price they will be set for market penetration in a couple of years.

If the price bothers you, do what my friends and I did when I lived in Europe: Buy from the USA and have it shipped as a gift. You have to wait a week or so, but you get the discount.

JonG,

What you propose is totally illegal. The correct way to go about it is buy in the US, find a way to get it shipped as the US sellers are not allowed by the manufacturers to ship to an individual, pay the VAT which will be reclaimable by most mixers over here.

One anomaly to this operation is TAI Audio who advertise on the UK E-Bay. Shipping to the UK from these adverts is undertaken by Ebay themselves not by TAI BUT on top of the quite reasonable shipping they add about 170 dollars. When I questioned them as to what this charge was for they said it was duty. When I pointed out that there is no duty payable on radio mics provided the paperwork had the correct tariff number on it. They refused to comment further.

Malcolm Davies A.m.p.s. CAS.