WisyCom now available in North America

Glen Trew

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another issue for UK users, however is 608-614MHz won't be accessible on these (even with the IR programmer) and service will be via US dealers

This seems strange- surely one of the attractions of a wideband system would be the flexibility to use in different countries. US users buying these would be unable to use them in the UK

Another issue for UK users, however is 608-614MHz won't be accessible on these (even with the IR programmer) and service will be via US dealers

This seems strange- surely one of the attractions of a wideband system would be the flexibility to use in different countries. US users buying these would be unable to use them in the UK

it looks like its a requirement to get FCC approval.

Greetings from the show floor at NAB where I am on the Wisycom booth with the owner, Massimo.

If I could just chime in to say that this offer in the USA is a short term limited offer and is heavily subsidised by Wisycom in order to get the product in the hands of US customers for the first time. Raycom spent many years getting the kit known in the UK, as other distributors did in other countries, I guess this offer is seen as a way to shortcut this.

The good news is we are working on a special 'kit' promotion for Wisy right now, and it will be posted on our Facebook page and Twitter, along with a mailing to our mailing list (sign up at our website).

So, to summarise, here are the hard facts about the current short term promotion:

1.  This is a very limited time promotional offer to launch Wisy in the USA, subsidised by Wisycom
  2.  Very limited number of units in this promotion
  3.  The units are ILLEGAL TO IMPORT AND USE IN THE EU as not CE approved
  4.  They are blocked for 75% of CH38 (608 to 614MHz) on BOTH RX and TX rendering them pretty useless in the UK (It will NOT be possible to open this up)
  5. Offer ONLY available within the USA, no international shipping 
  6. Raycom will be offering our own special promotion soon, join our mailing list

Cheers

P

I'm going to put this out there:

Are wisycom really subsidising this promotional offer or is it effectively all their other customers who have been paying the full retail (and I presume profit making) price?

The only way for Europeans to get a 'promotional' price on kit made in America is to fly there and pay the same amount as Americans (not less and then pay import duties when returning to Europe (and its till cheaper than buying from the uk dealer)). How would you American sound folks feel about paying more for Lectrosonics or Zaxcom kit in the USA than you would if you came to Europe to buy it because your manufacturers decided it was a more important market than your own?

dan.

It's a promotion for "new customers". Limited quantity and time... Blah Blah Blah.

We pay less for lots of European stuff here.

I know you do, but is this not due to taxes etc? And is quite different from the manufacturer using the profits of sales in 1 market to temporarily subsidise the retail price in another market, no?

nagra, schoeps, sennheiser, aaton, rycote, tcb, ambient, sqn etc. did they do/are they doing this too? Obviously some of these names are not/were never the main players in the US market but successful US sound folk don't seem to have had problem getting their hands on the European kit they decide they want to work with (nagra, shoeps and sennheiser being great examples).

America has a lot of money to spend on producing film and TV and the kit rates i see discussed on JW seem to reflect this, so why would European sound folk want to subsidise the cost of something somewhere else, that is hardly impoverished and not short of producers of such equipment already?

As I mention other domestic (USA) wireless producers; does this not impact them unfairly?

What was the consensus on the thread asking "Are pro wireless mics too expensive in 2014?" ?

dan.

I know you do, but is this not due to taxes etc? And is quite different from the manufacturer using the profits of sales in 1 market to temporarily subsidise the retail price in another market, no?

nagra, schoeps, sennheiser, aaton, rycote, tcb, ambient, sqn etc. did they do/are they doing this too? Obviously some of these names are not/were never the main players in the US market but successful US sound folk don't seem to have had problem getting their hands on the European kit they decide they want to work with (nagra, shoeps and sennheiser being great examples).

America has a lot of money to spend on producing film and TV and the kit rates i see discussed on JW seem to reflect this, so why would European sound folk want to subsidise the cost of something somewhere else, that is hardly impoverished and not short of producers of such equipment already?

As I mention other domestic (USA) wireless producers; does this not impact them unfairly?

What was the consensus on the thread asking "Are pro wireless mics too expensive in 2014?" ?

dan.

I don't think it's really that hard to see why they would subsidize the cost of their new wireless here. They are trying to break into a market which is heavily leaded by Lectrosonics, and then other wireless brands, and while at it, get a substantial base from which they can rationalize costs such as a local shop and support.

Basically, the more people they can get on board here to start off, the more likely they can stay and actually run a successful business. Their prices will most definitely increase.

There are no real subsidies involved, Dan. Wisy simply decided to use some of the money they have earned and spend it on some form of advertising to break into a new market. Nothing wrong with that.

Electronic stuff and some other things have always been cheaper in the US. I think it's partly due to the requirements a manufacturer has to fufill to meet EU regulation (RoHS and others). A European manufacturer has to be able to compete in the US market even with those manufacturers that don't even sell in Europe abd can thus use different materials.

For me, I'll be as excited as I was as achild, whenever I get the chance to travel to the US, because it means I get to buy cheap(er) gear. That's nice, in a sort if nostalgic way

There are no real subsidies involved, Dan. Wisy simply decided to use some of the money they have earned and spend it on some form of advertising to break into a new market. Nothing wrong with that.

Electronic stuff and some other things have always been cheaper in the US. I think it's partly due to the requirements a manufacturer has to fufill to meet EU regulation (RoHS and others). A European manufacturer has to be able to compete in the US market even with those manufacturers that don't even sell in Europe abd can thus use different materials.

For me, I'll be as excited as I was as achild, whenever I get the chance to travel to the US, because it means I get to buy cheap(er) gear. That's nice, in a sort if nostalgic way

You've hit the nail on the head here.

It's not a case of trading profit being cynically taken from one country and 'given' to another. It is common practise for businesses to do this sort of thing, all businesses have a marketing budget and there are many ways to spend it.

Having said that, there are some of my highly valued customers in this thread and, though Raycom was not involved in any way in this process, it makes me very sad if it has caused any bad feelings. As I said, there will be a promotion in the UK soon.

Pyers

You've hit the nail on the head here.

It's not a case of trading profit being cynically taken from one country and 'given' to another. It is common practise for businesses to do this sort of thing, all businesses have a marketing budget and there are many ways to spend it.

Having said that, there are some of my highly valued customers in this thread and, though Raycom was not involved in any way in this process, it makes me very sad if it has caused any bad feelings. As I said, there will be a promotion in the UK soon.

Pyers

Pyers,

Don't feel sad, my feelings aren't bad. I'm just trying to understand how the dollar in his pocket is worth more than the pound in my hand.

dan.

daniel : " Are wisycom really subsidising this promotional offer "

yes, just as the wireless phone carriers subsidize the phones, if and when you sign a contract.  I agree, instead of big, expensive adverts in magazines, etc, they are having the new USA dealers pay for that, and WISYCOM is in some way rebating the prices of this introductory offer.  this is a way to jump in, late as it is, to the USA wireless mic's for movies and TV marketplace, and is not at all extraordinary.... this is commonly called BOGO, and the phrases "for a limited time" and "Introductory" are also commonly seen...

• 1 month later...

DH: " So, has anyone taken them up on the intro offer and received their kit/s yet? "

Yes, of course...and it is a great deal;  one of the USA dealers says they have sold out their first lot, and are accepting pre-orders on their next shipment.

" What do you think? "

I just said: it is a terrific deal on a premium product; and it won't go on forever.

but it won't work with your Betso, as the WISY does not have TC capability...

Edited by studiomprd

government restrictions....

really?

What US restrictions could that be? In the EU there are restrictions ( see Lectro SMB (50milliwatt)  vs SM(Q)V (max 250 milliwatt,not allowed in the EU) but as far as I know there are no block/freq. restrictions (well... not above 790 mhz ,but that is the same in the US)

About pricing US vs EU : there is a (sometimes) big diff between US dealers and EU dealers...Nobody can explain overhere why a Swiss 8 ch board is almost the same in USD when bought in the US as in EURO when bought in euh Europe..Strange.But I know what I have been doing for the past 10 years,importwise.