Are pro wireless mics too expensive in 2014? Your thoughts?

I'm sure Lectro can survive without your custom.

I'm sure that you're right.

And I respect the owner of Lectrosonics for saying publicly that he is a fellow traveller with the two great warriors against the "nanny state" - against unions, the minimum wage and a social safety net - Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan.

Although it's interesting that Thatcher, rather to the right of Reagan, drew the line at telling Brits that they were on their own when it came to medical care. As she said in her autobiography: “I believed that the National Health Service was a service of which we could genuinely be proud.”

So yeah, I'll spend my money elsewhere and Lectrosonics will enjoy the patronage of people who agree with the owner's right wing, anti-"nanny state" (aka anti-union, anti-minimum wage, anti-safety net, anti-universal medicare) "philosophy".

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong thread and section of the board for such shameless posturing. 

What say we 1) resume the tolerance, and 2) get back on topic.

Totally cool with that. The owner of Lectrosonics made an overtly political statement and I said, in one sentence, that in light of his statement I would not be buying his products. I expected to leave it at that, and I'm quite happy to leave it at that now.

The boycott/buycott bit is getting tired within contentious areas. "Coexist", man ;)

When a vendor makes a political statement that some people might consider highly offensive - namely, that the US is headed in the same direction as Europe as a nanny state - it can hardly be a surprise that someone might react by saying to that vendor that he or she will not buy that vendor's product.

Which is all I said, in one sentence.

Others have taken up the subject on behalf of the vendor, which I guess is their right, but I would have thought that the whole point is that the owner of Lectrosonics has no business making political pronouncements in at least this part of the forum.

I do find it a bit odd that people are pushing me over and over on my one sentence statement that I will not buy his products, instead of telling the owner of Lectrosonics that this forum is not a vehicle for his political views (left or right).

It's probably going to be very difficult to only buy from companies whose political views an that of their owners (and board of directors? Employees?) you agree with. What about companies that are owned by shareholders? Difficult to find out everyone's view.

I'm not even sure Larry's comment was what you're trying to make it, robertw. Many of his posts are very tongue-in-cheek

I am Australian and I don't understand a fair amount of the American way of thinking. We have different cultures. Maybe that's why I read Larry's comment as non-offenceive. If you really have a problem, buy european, we don't make any here. Not begrudging you making a political statement.

As to 'Are wireless to expensive?'

When ever I need to buy more/upgrade etc… it feels like a hell yes.

When those wireless out perform cheaper wireless I have owned and used… money well spent.

When I am on a job that are hiring multiple units off me… Money well spent.

Do I wish equipment was cheaper?…  Of course I do.

Do I regret the money I have spent?…  With careful planning/research and forward thinking there is only a couple of purchases I would have done differently, considering my financial situation/work and technology as it stood at the time. So no regrets. My toys (work tools) have allowed me to have a life and career I love.   

At the end of the day, if wireless is "too expensive", that would imply there is some incredible profit margin that doesn't exist in cameras or whatever. If that was the case, I'm sure there would be a few wireless startups, or other companies stepping into the ring. It's quite the opposite. There are new people making cameras every year, but wireless has been pretty consistent to a few.

I must say, I try very hard to respect everyone's political opinion, and believe strongly that I may gleam some insights and ideas. I am very glad that we have a system of government that, at least to some extent, has a way to balance out the powers. While in my own mind I suppose I often think we would be better off if one certain party had their way, yet history has shown me that is not true! I am grateful for the differing opinions and for those who make us think twice and consider the consequences before we pass a law or embark on a project that my have an environmental impact. In fact, I would go so far to say that the "extremists" from just about any group are valuable and should be heard. That being said, if any of them got everything they wanted, we would be in big trouble. Yet it is exactly those type of people, who are so vocal, that allow us to achieve a balance.

I personally have no problem doing business with those having political opinions opposed to mine. Yet I'm grateful that we have the right to choose either way. Even if I disagree, I respect the fact that they at least they seem to care, something that so many now days do not! I also believe that most of us want pretty much the same things, we just differ on how to achieve it! And philosophically the differences are great. But I do not view others as "evil" or "stupid". The worst word I'll use to describe them is "misguided", yet I believe most of them have good intent. And I am not omniscient; therefore I could be wrong, and I would do well to listen.

Certainly stand firm on the causes you believe in, and oppose the causes you feel are leading us astray. But every now and then, step back and reconsider even those things. But always, always, always, show respect to other human beings. I don't understand how we can have such an enormous emphasis on tolerance, but it seems we are not willing to let that extend to others who have a differing political point of view. It seems to me that is one of the big problems in government right now. We are never all going to agree, but we do have a greater chance of learning to treat each other with decency, and that will go a very long way in making this land a much better place.

Tom

Very well put, Tom!  Thanks for saying what many of us believe.  Exhibiting common decency, tolerance, and respect are three of the best ways to make this a much better world.

Now, lets get back to discussing how those wireless manufacturers are robbing us blind <JOKE!>. 

For the reasons others have illuminated well, I don't think wireless systems are overpriced.  You get what you pay for and you pay for what you can afford.

I'm a liberal, and have no illusion that The Affordable Care Act is "free" health care.  I am happy to pay more taxes in order to join the rest of the 1st world in providing health care for citizens and tax-paying residents.  In fact, many of you know I'm moving to England, and the first thing many people say is, "Won't you have to pay more taxes?" - As a matter of fact, I will.  But everyone does, and the system is set up that way.  Once Americans get used to a system of compassion, and perhaps higher taxes, then that'll just be how it is here too.  So who cares?  The focus on money above all is one of the reasons I'm leaving.

I'm also going to keep buying Lectros.  Are they expensive?  Yes.  Do they work?  Yes.  Do I care about Larry's political views?  Sure, but he's entitled to his as much as I am mine.  If I caught word he was underpaying his employees and donating large sums of profit, derived from mistreating his employees and from my purchases, to ultra-right religious or political organizations, then I might reconsider.

I am Independant..I'd rather not be to be taxed into oblivion to pay for people who WON'T help themselves...

I think the pricing for Zax/Lectro/Wysycom are where they should be for our market. Would I like them to be cheaper for me personally?? Hells yes..but like others have said...Price structure can act as a filter allowing for the serious experienced people to make investments in their profession...Much like mechanics do when they purchase tools from MATCO or SNAPON etc. These names tell me that the person workin on my car is serious about what he does because he made a major investment in his profession.

We are a very specialized profession...There are times when its frustrating to me that I have to order and wait on shipping of something that I need...but overall I'm ecstatic because our gear is not being sold at Guitar Center or Sam Ash and not just anyone can walk in off the street and buy this gear.

It was a struggle for me to get into this business..and I came in a later age after having worked in the professional corporate world for a long time...but my passion has always been in audio. Building my kit and being able to buy the gear that I want/need has been a slow process but I wouldn't have it any other way. While these are all tools that I need to perform at a high level...Being able to pay for them is personally fulfilling and inspires more passion about what I do.

Yikes, I feel like a trouble-maker having asked this question. I'm not sure if that means my having asked was a good thing or not.

This makes me think back to one of my more memorable moments in my career. Back around 2000 I worked at ABC's The View as their RF tech, placing IFB's and mics (some cheap Sony's, BTW) on the hosts and guests. One day Dolly Parton was on, and her assistants, a bit over zealous to help me wire Dolly up managed to burst upon her trademark one-button tight jacket, unleashing... Well, I was PO'ed enough, with about 60 seconds to air, to ask everyone around me, "Ok, are you happy?" Dolly calmed the mayhem stating, "Ok, everybody just calm down".

I think that's what we need to do here, at least on the Lectro/Larry F/politics front. The responses thus far make it pretty clear we can all mostly agree on one thing... the answer to the question, and this is "No, current pro wireless aren't too expensive".

For those wondering what happened with Dolly... A staff wardrobe person sewed the jacket shut real quick and out onto set she walked.

OK,  

I will go on record... 

I think LONG ESTABLISHED MODELS are A BIT TOO EXPENSIVE... After 10 years, shave of a few bucks...  

There you have it.... BUT...  am I bitter, no... Do I love the people and their gear... Yes...  Does it work great...?  You bet..  Do I WISH it cost less?  sure...  

Do I care how they vote or if they believe in Angels or UFOs... No...  

robertw

Don't know why my comment has now led to a LOL about the "nanny state" and someone suggesting that Americans are so stupid that they don't know that citizens of all of the European countries, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders pay for universal health care with their taxes.

That my friend is called  LEVITY...  You are taking things way too seriously.... smile...  maybe a drink... Cheers..

When I was growing up, people didn't discuss Religion, Politics, and Money as those were the manners of the day. Obviously those days are gone. I will say I have no problem with the OP's question. It did swerve off in an odd direction, but that's jwsound at times.  As for the cost of my wireless, (Lectro's), They are worth the price to me. They work well, have maintained their value, provided a nice wright off, and have made me a large pile of income over the years have paid for themselves many times over. Do I wish they had a 5 mile range at half the cost? You bet. Just like I wish I were good looking and rich. Not going to happen.

With a little overview, I think we should be happy with all the wireless products offered today at all their price points, as they are so much better than what has come before.

CrewC

...nothing is free, you pay for it every time with higher taxes and higher prices at the store.

And you get back so many benefits in return. As Oliver Wendell Holmes said, “Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society.” You may prefer a society that is neither civilized nor sympathetic to the needs of the majority of its citizens. In that case, may I suggest Kazakhstan. It seems to be more your speed.