Are pro wireless mics too expensive in 2014? Your thoughts?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a little overview, I think we should be happy with all the wireless products offered today at all their price points, as they are so much better than what has come before.

What Crew said. Be glad the glass is half-full.

I feel like there's a sense of entitlement from some filmmakers these days that look at the old $100,000 cameras and today's new $5000 cameras and then say, "why can't everything be like this?" Because some things take craftsmanship and a massive investment in technology to make. Go over to Zeiss and ask them why a lens has to cost $10,000 instead of $995 and see what happens.

Marc W-- I've been meaning to thank you for the all-time-classic Sound Mixer Hell. I've shown it to colleagues so many times the past two years or so to, in a light-hearted way, point out what you mention above-- that sense of entitlement that the RED had created. 

Paradigm shifting and disruptive technologies can create some very devoted fans who tend to eschew all sorts of prior production "norms", including budgeting-- and this can come off looking like entitlement. But can you blame them? They're "creative" types that shatter norms-- many of them are the people that dream up the projects that keep us busy.

am resentful when providing quotes to these types, having to explain why 8 wireless mics cost X to rent from me. However, I do feel lucky for every call I get-- many of my clients new and old are finding ways to either eliminate me entirely or seek discounts. The concept of ever raising my rate again to keep pace with inflation? Out of the question-- those days are over. 

Anyone here unaffected by technologies' budgetary impact should consider themselves fortunate -- lest they come off looking entitled, including manufacturers and retailers.  Many of us pre-paradigm-shift-old-schoolers are getting squeezed, and we don't function in a vacuum. 

Thankfully, many of the "new paradigm" shoots I work on are actually enjoyable projects. If I had to work the same way for the past 25 years... ugh... Out with the stuffy old ways-- but, please, no more budget cutting!  :)

This Europe pricing thing is pretty interesting.

In Iceland the Lectro HM plugin transmitter costs $1386 (with dealer discount), when you add the VAT on top of that it becomes $1740. AKA. Really expensive.

as mentioned many times: VAT is not part of the price. Only consumers have to pay VAT. All others can (and most actually have to) get it back.

Many of the reasons why wireless are as expensive as they are, are very good and understandable. What is still interesting though (and was what the OP was getting at, I thought) is why there wasn't a manufacturer in the wireless market like Sound Devices in the recorder market. Before the 744T and more to the the point, the 788T, really good location recorders were about twice as expensive as the 788T. The 788 is by many considered a very good machine, perfectly suitable for movies, TV and docs. All the points above re: R&D, caftsmanship, many parts, servicing, and so on, apply to the 788 as much as to the expensive wireless.

By the way, this may apply to the Fusion as well, I'm not sure.

But it remains interesting, why there isn't a wireless maker, that's half as expensive, but almost as good as the expensive Lectro/Zax/Sennheiser stuff

Interesting you mention Sound Devices' 788t scenario, Constantin. In my mulling this question over I wondered why SD hasn't moved into wireless products. They certainly entered the video recording arena with great success.

I think its OK for companies like SD to stick to JUST mixers/recorders. Thats what they do well..

Zax is a whole different animal, but for the most part they have always been multifaceted in that way.. For SD to get into the wireless arena would be like Lectro getting into mixers and recorders...It just doesn't seem to be their thing.

If the customer has to pay it, it becomes part of the price.

No, Vincent is right. The consumer customer has to pay it, but the business customer does not, or rather they get it back. The VAT is a consumer tax, and for all those who buy something to sell on or if they need it for their business (if they are registered) they can reclaim it. There are a few Ifs and Buts, but that is the gist of it. Anyone of us, who are doing sound recording do not have to pay VAT in the end. So it should never be considered part of the price

Not, Vincent is right. The consumer customer has to pay it, but the business customer does not, or rather they get it back. The VAT is a consumer tax, and for all those who buy something to sell on or if they need it for their business (if they are registered) they can reclaim it. There are a few Ifs and Buts, but that is the gist of it. Anyone of us, who are doing sound recording do not have to pay VAT in the end. So it should never be considered part of the price

Only partially correct Constantin. Because of the high threshold of compulsory registration most jobbing sound recordist's in the UK are not registered. A few might voluntarily register but this is a small number so the majority have to count the Vat as part of the price.

Only partially correct Constantin. Because of the high threshold of compulsory registration most jobbing sound recordist's in the UK are not registered. A few might voluntarily register but this is a small number so the majority have to count the Vat as part of the price.

although doing it voluntarily is a good option.

OK, you're right. the threshold of compulsory registration was one of my Ifs. How high is the threshold in the UK? In Germany it's €17500, which I think is low enough for someone to pass who works at least 30-40 days a year, maybe more depending on the production. Why aren't more registering voluntarily, though? I don't really know any downsides (other than s bit more paperwork)

I am sure the Chinese are working on it LOL...

It's to Larry Fisher's and Glenn Sanders' credit that their products are still made in America and they do employ Americans to design, build, and assemble their products. True, you might be able to offshore the whole thing and make them cheaper, but I suspect there would be a considerable shift in quality and reliability if that were to happen. 

although doing it voluntarily is a good option.

OK, you're right. the threshold of compulsory registration was one of my Ifs. How high is the threshold in the UK? In Germany it's €17500, which I think is low enough for someone to pass who works at least 30-40 days a year, maybe more depending on the production. Why aren't more registering voluntarily, though? I don't really know any downsides (other than s bit more paperwork)

The Vat threshold for compulsory registration is a staggering 81,000 yes 81K UK pounds.

I can never understand why people don't register voluntarily as they can claim all the vat paid on fuel and equipment in fact anything to do with the business.