664 SD slot - push to eject spring not working

DeafDave

Shure UK modified my 664 under warranty so that inaudible noise (80khz) created when using unbalanced devices on its inputs no longer shows on the level meters.

Since I got it back the spring device (Push to eject) on the SD card slot no longer works. 

It worked fine before it was sent off and had always worked fine.  Normally you push the card and a spring pushes it out so that its easier to grab and take out but that spring no longer works since I got the unit back.

If I push the sd card nothing happens so I have to remove the CF card in order to get a grip on the SD card.

The 664 still sees the SD card and records to it and formats it but I am concerned that if part of the mechanism isnt working that part of it might come loose and which could mean the card gets stuck or that it blocks a card being inserted.

Im thinking the only way that mechanism could have been damaged is if someone pulled the card out without pushing it in first to allow it to pop out itself.

Has anyone else experienced this on their 664 or any other device using SD cards? 

Don't try to remove the SD card, you may break the plastic around the contacts and leave debris inside the mixer.  If you've already removed it, one workaround is to put a microSD adaptor in its place and use microSD cards, but that's a workaround, not a solution.

I'd send it back and say "it wasn't like this when I sent it to you, please fix it immediately".

Deaf Dave: " Has anyone else experienced this on their 664 or any other device using SD cards? "

sorry, but this would approach being a bit of a less than bright question...

What do you care...??

this function on your device isn't working properly, and your 664 needs to be repaired (again) properly...

and maybe you ought to let SD know (support forum, email, or maybe even, gasp, telephone...

• 2 weeks later...

Shure UK modified my 664 under warranty so that inaudible noise (80khz) created when using unbalanced devices on its inputs no longer shows on the level meters.

Since I got it back the spring device (Push to eject) on the SD card slot no longer works. 

It worked fine before it was sent off and had always worked fine.  Normally you push the card and a spring pushes it out so that its easier to grab and take out but that spring no longer works since I got the unit back.

If I push the sd card nothing happens so I have to remove the CF card in order to get a grip on the SD card.

The 664 still sees the SD card and records to it and formats it but I am concerned that if part of the mechanism isnt working that part of it might come loose and which could mean the card gets stuck or that it blocks a card being inserted.

Im thinking the only way that mechanism could have been damaged is if someone pulled the card out without pushing it in first to allow it to pop out itself.

Has anyone else experienced this on their 664 or any other device using SD cards?

With my 633 I'm have a different problem with the SD slot. The sping works fine, but the card will not lock into place. So, when I push the card in, as soon as I let go the card pops back out. Occationally, after 15 -20 attemps, I can get the card to lock in place. For now, I'm just leaving the card in place and only removing the CF.

I've contacted Sound Devices and will be sending them the unit for repair in a week or two when work slows down. If need be I can always use my 664 to cover me for the time the 633 is in the shop.

I'm certainlly glad the 633 has tow card slots!

Tom