Zaxcom RX12

Solid Goldberger

I thought perhaps it would be better to continue discussion of the new RX12 in its own thread, rather then in the NAB '14 thread.

Quoting Glenn:

The RX12 is much more than a metal box with an RF multi-coupler. It has our tunable dual RF filter and DSP processing. It will scan and calculate clear frequencies taking into account proper channel separation and real time spectrum information. The RX12 connects to Nomad for remote display and control. When connected to Nomad it can scan and re-channel all 12 receivers and 12 transmitters in about 30 seconds. Even while the talent is wired with the transmitters.

The RX12 can be remoted to a separate sound bag to balance the load for the sound mixer. It has both analog and AES output capability. It is great for both sound bag and sound cart. The idea was to make a receiver that would set a new standard for size, number of channels and functionality and audio quality. The RX12 will be available in 6-8 weeks and pricing will be available from our dealers. Weight of the unit with all 6 receivers will be about 4 lbs 14 oz.

Glenn

I have some questions about some of this functionality:

For remote control via Nomad, I'm assuming this is done VIA Zaxnet only? Perhaps there will be a separate "remote control" with full-time monitoring and dedicated hardware controls at some point in the future?

For "remoting", is there some kind of single connection for audio or are we talking about a large multi-conductor snake?

Is there some kind of way to get more then 8 channels of AES audio into a Zax recorder, or would we have to add analog lines out for each channel over 8?

Is the front-end filtering of 35khz "blocks" per receiver module or for the entire unit? In other words are we limited to running all transmitters on the same 35mhz of bandwidth, or can we use several different "blocks" within the same unit?

(No particular rush on these answers, just what comes to mind)

I think for a fully loaded system the price seems appropriate, though I suppose I had hoped it would be more significantly less then the cost of 6x QRX receivers. While there are certainly several advantages to an integrated system versus separate receivers, it appears that in this case weight and cost will not be some of those benefits.

E.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will answer what I can.

Communication between the RX-12 and Nomad will be via the serial port. Howy also says he hope to being the remote scan and select freq function to the QRX w/ifb option, as well as the IFB200.

The output connectors on the device at the moment are 6 x TA5 so yes, you would need a snake.

I can't answer the question about AES definitively, but I would assume using a combination of digital and analog would be how you would do it.

The 35mhz 'window' is set by the RX-12, all receivers would need to be within that window, yes.

Unless there is a new recorder in the pipeline (!!?!?!??) it seems wierd that Zaxcom, a company that prides themselves in being "all digital" would release a 12-channel receiver where at least a third of the channels would need to be used analog...

Also wondering what happens when using stereo transmitters? I assume this means there are 24 outputs? That's a lot of discrete cabling. I'm sure they're well past this point in the development process, but a modular output system (Dante/Lightpipe/sdi/etc.) would be a fantastic option for taking the technology forward to how it could be used on a larger scale in the future.

E.

looking at Jack Norflus's photos on the freelance mixers group on facebook, i cant see any sign of a D-Sub connector, though there is no photo of the back.

though one thing i can see is that the USB serial connector is on the opposite side of the unit to the Nomad, which seems a little clumsy perhaps.

but, i am looking forward to some more detailed specs and photos coming out.

it is a shame though that many of the manufacturers releasing new stuff do not yet have information on their website, often leading to much speculation and inevitable misinformation.

looking at Jack Norflus's photos on the freelance mixers group on facebook, i cant see any sign of a D-Sub connector, though there is no photo of the back.

though one thing i can see is that the USB serial connector is on the opposite side of the unit to the Nomad, which seems a little clumsy perhaps.

but, i am looking forward to some more detailed specs and photos coming out.

it is a shame though that many of the manufacturers releasing new stuff do not yet have information on their website, often leading to much speculation and inevitable misinformation.

Yes and up until this point there is no mention of the RX-12 on the Zaxcom site. I thought for sure after hearing about it that they would have posted information on their site, but then again that is why you go to NAB anyway right?

From my vantage point it seems like Zaxcom has put all the significant market share it gained with the release of the Nomad and Maxx into R&D, which is awesome and shows how far Zaxcom is willing to go to put out groundbreaking products. I wonder though if the people at Zaxcom are tired yet lol

Unless there is a new recorder in the pipeline (!!?!?!??) it seems wierd that Zaxcom, a company that prides themselves in being "all digital" would release a 12-channel receiver where at least a third of the channels would need to be used analog...

I have been told that a new cart-based recorder (like an updated Deva) is in the works but not expected until 2015. I hope it will have Dante compatibility, but a lot can change in a year.

I thought the RX-12 looked really great and the design was superlative, but it's definitely a premium product at $12,000-$13,000, which is what I was told at the booth.

he does say 8 first then 12 a few seconds later doesnt he.

my guess is that because it has 6 receiver modules and it has 12 in the name that it will be able to pick up 12 individual transmitters.

which could potentially allow you to have 24 channels if they were all stereo transmitters.

I thought the RX-12 looked really great and the design was superlative, but it's definitely a premium product at $12,000-$13,000, which is what I was told at the booth.

Actually street pricing will most likely be lower. Zaxcom still needs to work out the build cost so they can better set pricing. NAB pricing was only an ballpark price.

In the Trew Audio video Glen says RX12 can receive 8 individual transmitters then he also says it can receive 12 transmitters. Does that mean its 12 channels from 6 stereo transmitters or 8 channels from 4 stereo transmitters?

A fully loaded rx-12 can receive 12 channels of audio from 12 mono TX. And 24 channels of audio from 12 stereo TX.

What are you doing when your Venue quits? Go to another setup (individual receivers) I imagine.

I worried about this for the five years I had my Venue, but amazingly, it never failed even once. It once crashed the night before a big shoot, but I traced it down to a loose module. Back up in :30 seconds. Still, I agree it's a bit of a concern to have all your wireless eggs in one basket. 

I like the RX12 and while great for cart mixers it is  still not ideal for bag mixers.

If Zaxcom come up with a QRX shell for each module or at least 2 module liter smaller shell , it would be great and definitely appeal to more people.

We work different jobs that require different channel needs. Sometimes I work with a boom and 2 wireless or I need to spread my wireless between 2 sound packages.

A QRX shells + RX12 will make these modules a lot more flexible.

solid: " Is the front-end filtering of 35khz "blocks" per receiver module or for the entire unit? In other words are we limited to running all transmitters on the same 35mhz of bandwidth, or can we use several different "blocks" within the same unit? "

I know that was already covered...

Rado: " I am sure they can make the filter to adjust between 2 blocks "

how...

(...do you know that?)

rich: " it is a shame though that many of the manufacturers releasing new stuff do not yet have information on their website, "

this has been common practice for years, and years, and not just in our playground...  lots of concepts and prototypes have been shown at NAB, and are rather different by the time they are realized...

I remember seeing prototypes of Nagra's original digital (tape) recorder, Andy Cooper's mixer and many more...

OTOH: " much speculation and inevitable misinformation. "

that happens anyway.

Tim: " that they would have posted information on their site, "

maybe, as it was a prototype shown, and not yet fully developed, it was a lower priority last week...

Michael: " Glen says... "

OMG,  a slip of the tongue.... fortunately, with only a very little additional research, you can get the correct answer...

Bert: " Hmmm what are you doing when this thing quits working? "

what are you going to do when anything quits working ??  (hint: backup)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought.

I saw the video from NAB and the RX12 has a TA5 output connectors. As Mr. Sanders pointed out the RX12 will play a game with Nomad. The RX12 will scan for available frequencies, pick up the frequencies and via Nomad ZaxNet (or IFB100/200) will set the frequencies to transmitters (with one button all this).

So, someone has a Nomad and want to go all digital (digital out from RX12 to digital in Nomad via DB-15 mini connector). She/he need to make a cable (from DB-15 to TA5). It's not a good idea the RX12 to have a DB-15 output option to keep as much they can the connection between RX12 and Nomad simple (only one cable and not a "spaghetti") in cart or bag?

To make it more simple:

8 AES out (RX12) to 8 AES in (Nomad) via DB-15 (both).

Just a thought.

I saw the video from NAB and the RX12 has a TA5 output connectors. As Mr. Sanders pointed out the RX12 will play a game with Nomad. The RX12 will scan for available frequencies, pick up the frequencies and via Nomad ZaxNet (or IFB100/200) will set the frequencies to transmitters (with one button all this).

So, someone has a Nomad and want to go all digital (digital out from RX12 to digital in Nomad via DB-15 mini connector). She/he need to make a cable (from DB-15 to TA5). It's not a good idea the RX12 to have a DB-15 output option to keep as much they can the connection between RX12 and Nomad simple (only one cable and not a "spaghetti") in cart or bag?

To make it more simple:

8 AES out (RX12) to 8 AES in (Nomad) via DB-15 (both).

You can not use all AES on Nomad if you have zaxnet enabled.

It sucks that the size is different then Nomad. If they are trying to match both they should have stuck to the same size. Makes it easier to build your bag.

And again qrx size shels for the modules will make this wireless more appealing.

I can even go for DEVA size Nomad/RX12 one unit no cables...