Zaxcom RX12

Solid Goldberger

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what understand is:

With RX12 you must have all your wireless (from one to twelve) within 35 MHz. Lets say 512 - 547 MHz. You can't use (theoretically) it outside from 35 MHz.

With three QRX200 you can have the six wireless in different 35 MHz. First two wireless 512 - 547 MHz. Next two wireless 550 - 585 MHz. Last two wireless 600 - 635 MHz. You can't do this RX12 as understand.

Correct, the RX12 has only one band pass filter, effectively killing all RF outside of the set 35MHz window, so if you are using 12 mono transmitters at the same time, they must all be within the same 35MHz (which is actually not difficult to achieve at all, unless you are in RF hell). The RX12 will also do the scanning, assigning of frequencies, etc with the push of a single button, so it is a very automated process.

With individual QRX200 units, you have the same band pass filter with 35MHz window, but each unit is only able to select two frequencies at most at a time, so yes, you can have three different units running in different 35MHz channels. However, if you add a MicPlexer 2 in front of that, you are effectively adding a 35MHz band pass in front of your wireless receivers, giving you the same (or very similar) result as the RX12, without all the fancy software and automation.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beside of the Nomad and QRX with IFB, could the RX12 work with an IFB100/200 as Zaxnet master?

I have a Fusion, so trying to think at the best configuration.

Currently the rx12 can only have a direct interface with nomad 10 and 12 and the qifb via the serial port. Using the ifb 200 or 100 you would manual change the frequency on the ifb200.

The RX12 and QRX200 for that matter have a very high Q RF filter (Flux Capacitor as I call it). I will get the frequency response curve onto the RX12 web page so all can see that as you move farther away from the center of the tuned frequency the RF level quickly falls away.

Glenn

Currently the rx12 can only have a direct interface with nomad 10 and 12 and the qifb via the serial port. Using the ifb 200 or 100 you would manual change the frequency on the ifb200.

So, if I understand correctly, the only way to use the RX12 with a not-Nomad recorder is to buy a QRX+Ifb Option...

It sounds a little foolish (forgive me the word) to me that in order to use a full 12 channel receiver I need an other 2 channel ENG receiver..

Is there a plan for an external Zaxnet device to add, in order to use full remote scan and control functionality to any recorder?

Correct the rx12 cant talk to an ifb200 so you would need to manually send frequency change commands from the ifb200 - as many people who don't own a Nomad already do and have been doing for years before nomad was even available.
Granted it's not as convient as having the Nomad do it. But you still can remotely change frequency without having to approach tallent.
So there is no physical reason the rx12 can't be used with other recorders.

• 2 weeks later...

Remote control of the transmitters automatically (including setting transmitter frequencies remotely after the receiver scan) can only be done at this time with the RX-12 connected to Nomad recorder. Without Nomad recorder, you can use IFB-200 to manually enter frequency settings which will set the transmitters remotely. I'm pretty sure in the near future the RX-12 will connect directly to the IFB-200 and this will provide automatic changes to transmitter frequencies.

Very important  information about changing frequencies on trx transmitters:

When you change the frequency the transmitter track records a very loud crackle sound while the board is switching.

Try to do it while the talent is not speaking.

I spoke to Howy sometime this year about it and he was saying that possibly he can try to insert silence instead of the annoying noise. 

I don't know if it is still on the agenda...

Is there a way we can use the RX12 and a mix 8 or fp8 at the same time? Only one serial port.

Technically, the RX-12 doesn't need the serial port to work, it only needs it to pass the serial commands to the Nomad to change the TX frequencies via Zaxnet.

But to answer your question, no, currently there is no way to use both the serial connections of RX-12 along with the Mix-8 or FP-8 at the same time. You have to unplug one to use the serial connection of the other.