Zaxcom RX12

Solid Goldberger

Of all the pictures i ve seen of the rx12 "bagged up" is there any specific reason other than user preference why is it always below the nomad? Shouldn't that be the other way around?

I had to move my nomad on top to make it easier to get at the CF card slot. In the bottom of the bag it gets a bit tricky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news?

Still no news on this. I'm extremely disappointed with Zaxcom about this. I was told, before I purchased the unit, that foam inserts would be made. Recently, I had to send my Nomad in for service and when I asked about the inserts I was told they'll get back to me. Yep, that never happened. I find it really tacky having to cover my expensive RX12 with gaff tape. 

I had to move my nomad on top to make it easier to get at the CF card slot. In the bottom of the bag it gets a bit tricky.

I have my RX12 below the Nomad because it's the only way I can get all the cabling to fit. Both units are very snug. In fact, I just ordered smaller right angle connectors to address this issue. 

Still no news on this. I'm extremely disappointed with Zaxcom about this. I was told, before I purchased the unit, that foam inserts would be made. Recently, I had to send my Nomad in for service and when I asked about the inserts I was told they'll get back to me. Yep, that never happened. I find it really tacky having to cover my expensive RX12 with gaff tape. 

I have my RX12 below the Nomad because it's the only way I can get all the cabling to fit. Both units are very snug. In fact, I just ordered smaller right angle connectors to address this issue. 

That's a bit crap. I note that two of the 'competition' who produce a slot in rack for RX have supplied covers for the empty slots from day one.

I'm also waiting for those covers.

RX-12 is a great product and i'm very satisfied with it's simplicity and Range.

I use it in my bag with 2-3 Receivers and more on my cart.

Also i'm in touch with Kortwich at the moment to come up with a better bag tailored for RX-12 and nomad.

35iob68.jpg

2n9i8fl.jpg

We are delayed on this. I had made covers just before NAB and was not happy with the results so I am revising the design. When we have covers for unused slots we will make them available at the earliest opportunity. Any customer can contact  us directly to check on delivery.

Glenn

I'm also waiting for those covers.

RX-12 is a great product and i'm very satisfied with it's simplicity and Range.

I use it in my bag with 2-3 Receivers and more on my cart.

Also i'm in touch with Kortwich at the moment to come up with a better bag tailored for RX-12 and nomad.

35iob68.jpg

2n9i8fl.jpg

That bag looks great! Very small!

Obviously going to have some weight as it seems to have the same 'weighs-like-a-bastard' one piece metal cover as the Nomad, but I'm still impressed with the size and neatness of the above rig. Looks twenty times more compact than the photos I've seen of them crammed in Orca bags (no FP8 mind you).

If Zax can find a lighter material to make the chassis out of for future recorders and the like, then our spines will be eternally grateful.

Here:

20sah02.jpg

RX-12 is not that heavy in my opinion. I only use 1-2 Receivers when i do run and gun stuff ( not so much of it these days ).

The software is really good and pretty much without any bug or issues so far, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

nv9v1h.jpg

Exactly why I don't like it in the bag. It can not be broken down.

I use 4-6 channels most of the time and all the extra weight is not something I want to carry around.

Compared to 3 qrx the difference is huge.

1 micplexer2 and 3 qrx 1.5 pounds compared to how heavy and RX12 with 3 wireless modules is: 4.5 pounds maybe.

Here:

RX-12 is not that heavy in my opinion. I only use 1-2 Receivers when i do run and gun stuff ( not so much of it these days ).

The software is really good and pretty much without any bug or issues so far, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Obviously going to have some weight as it seems to have the same 'weighs-like-a-bastard' one piece metal cover as the Nomad, but I'm still impressed with the size and neatness of the above rig. Looks twenty times more compact than the photos I've seen of them crammed in Orca bags (no FP8 mind you).

If Zax can find a lighter material to make the chassis out of for future recorders and the like, then our spines will be eternally grateful.

Does the case of the Nomad really weigh that much? I feel like it was pretty light aluminum when I removed it for a repair on mine. I wonder what the weight savings could be with a lighter material.

Does the case of the Nomad really weigh that much? I feel like it was pretty light aluminum when I removed it for a repair on mine. I wonder what the weight savings could be with a lighter material.

​Yes, it is pretty heavy. Maybe they didn't go with the carbon composite type thing used on SD recorders for cost reasons. Obviously the Nomad is still lighter than a 664 but that machine is HUGE.

I'd love a RX12 for practicality when using lots of wireless, but like Rado I'm not keen on the idea of trogging around the extra weight day to day - even if I pulled receivers out. Shame that I can't afford both!

Seems like there is some demand for an RX8, yours truly included.

Actually what I'd really like to see is a 3 slot / 6 channel Zaxcom receiver with a single 2ch Unislot built in.  It may seem counterintuitive for Zaxcom to support analog slot receivers, but most of us, even the most die hard Zaxcom lovers, have to run non-Zaxcom wireless here and there for very good reason.

Edited by Tom Visser

Regarding all this talk about weight, especially from those that down own an RX12,  it's not that heavy! ….and this is coming from someone with 2 herniated discs. The chassis is already made from aluminum so anything lighter may have to be carbon fiber which will definitely increase the price of the unit. 

Maybe they can make carbon fiber slot covers for those of us waiting. =)

Actually what I'd really like to see is a 3 slot / 6 channel Zaxcom receiver with a single 2ch Unislot built in.  It may seem counterintuitive for Zaxcom to support analog slot receivers, but most of us, even the most die hard Zaxcom lovers, have to run non-Zaxcom wireless here and there for very good reason.

​+1 

​Agree.

• 5 weeks later...