Zaxcom RX12

Solid Goldberger

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can not use all AES on Nomad if you have zaxnet enabled.

It sucks that the size is different then Nomad. If they are trying to match both they should have stuck to the same size. Makes it easier to build your bag.

And again qrx size shels for the modules will make this wireless more appealing.

I can even go for DEVA size Nomad/RX12 one unit no cables...

perhaps an rx8 is in the cards,  as you wished for earlier

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

What are you doing when your Venue quits? Go to another setup (individual receivers) I imagine.

Nah. Pull out another venue chassis and slap the VRT's in it.

Now with the new RX12 at the alleged $12,000-$13,000 price point:

Did they allude to if that was for the chassis alone or fully loaded with receivers?

Now with the new RX12 at the alleged $12,000-$13,000 price point:

Did they allude to if that was for the chassis alone or fully loaded with receivers?

When the product was revealed at NAB'14, the chassis alone was announced to cost around $3000 and each RF module around $1700:

The chassis does power distribution, RF distribution, processing and filtration. It's sort of the "brain" of the whole thing.

When the product was revealed at NAB'14, the chassis alone was announced to cost around $3000 and each RF module around $1700:

The chassis does power distribution, RF distribution, processing and filtration. It's sort of the "brain" of the whole thing.

That's not so bad considering each module can do two all digital radios with neverclip, and remote control.

So, a full RX12 costs $13,200

Six QRX 200 costs $15,000

Not bad for 12 digital wireless system

Most of the weight is in the chassis I believe and so if you are able to put together 6 QRXs, antenna distribution (Micplexer?), DC distribution and package it all in the beautifully functional and lightweight frame that Rado has built, you will probably have something lighter weight. The other main thing to consider with the RX-12 is the integration software of centralized frequency scanning and setup vs. having to address each individual receiver.

I think it is a real bargain and provides a level of functional integration that is really not available by any other system.

Most of the weight is in the chassis I believe and so if you are able to put together 6 QRXs, antenna distribution (Micplexer?), DC distribution and package it all in the beautifully functional and lightweight frame that Rado has built, you will probably have something lighter weight. The other main thing to consider with the RX-12 is the integration software of centralized frequency scanning and setup vs. having to address each individual receiver.

I think it is a real bargain and provides a level of functional integration that is really not available by any other system.

I agree. I think Jeff nails every point that I could think of when comparing it against just getting individual QRX200 receivers.

I love how levels are represented on the rx-12. The qrx -20 line leaves a lot to be desired...

Have tho opportunity to see a prototype of the RX12 and it look a very beautiful device. IMHO, the only bad things are:

1) it is a little larger than a Deva/Fusion/Nomad recorder, just a few cm, but it should have been more compact to have a setup with matched dimensions;

2) it doesn't have Zaxnet antenna. So, if you have a Deva/Fusion recorder (like me) you have to buy a zaxnet provided device to send remote controls, etc (IFB200?);

3) it should have been better if output connectors were on the left side, considering that generally AES inputs are on the left side of the recorders.

That said, I'm looking forward for it to be available.

v.

But with the individual receivers you have much greater flexibility, as you can use them in the bag or on the cart. It may be possible to put the RX12 in the bag, but it will probably be a bit if a struggle

Of course with individual receivers you have a lot more flexibility. I'm not a Lectro user but it seems clear that the Venue system Lectro users use (either full size on the cart or the "compact" Venue in a bag) does not provide any flexibility. Don't most people have individual receivers AND some sort of all-in-one integrated box as well? As far as fitting in a bag being a "struggle" --- the RX-12 was designed specifically to go in the bag (without a struggle) so I really don't see that as an obstacle. Sure, it would be nice if it were more smaller and lighter but it isn't. People struggled with the 664 when it came out (bigger, wider, heavier) but somehow everyone who has a 664 seems to have made it work in the bag without too much difficulty.

Of course with individual receivers you have a lot more flexibility. I'm not a Lectro user but it seems clear that the Venue system Lectro users use (either full size on the cart or the "compact" Venue in a bag) does not provide any flexibility. Don't most people have individual receivers AND some sort of all-in-one integrated box as well? As far as fitting in a bag being a "struggle" --- the RX-12 was designed specifically to go in the bag (without a struggle) so I really don't see that as an obstacle. Sure, it would be nice if it were more smaller and lighter but it isn't. People struggled with the 664 when it came out (bigger, wider, heavier) but somehow everyone who has a 664 seems to have made it work in the bag without too much difficulty.

I'm not comparing the RX12 to the Venue. I'm comparing it to the Octopack or the corresponding product from Zaxcom where you can use the same receivers in either in the rack or individually in the bag.

I don't know the actual size of the RX12, sorry I criticized it prematurely. It's just that for me, and at such a price point, I'll always prefer the product with the greatest flexibility. There seems to be the "risk" that I might need the RX12 and individual QRXs as well.

Get a demo of the RX12 in action and you will see how much easier it will make your life. Say you get to a new location in the morning and need to rescan&retune everything. The RX12 really shines there.

Slight similarity, I found the Lectro Venue to make life a lot easier than tuning 6 individual receivers. The RX12 takes it to another level by tuning the transmitters for you via Zaxnet.