Zaxcom RX12

Solid Goldberger

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just mod'd my unit. I found it very challenging fitting the RX12 into my petrol bag with the current Hirose power cable. I thought about getting a right angle hirose adapter but I believe I still would have had clearance issues. So, I went with SwitchCraft 761k (ground isolated connector) instead. It fits just fine now. =)

If you're considering this mod you will have to drill the chassis on the RX12( 25/64 drill bit) to fit the larger diameter SwitchCraft.

Instead of the 761K (2.5mm pin), consider using the S761 (2.0mm pin), for a long list of reasons. Here are a few of those reasons: The S761 is found in virtually every other pro audio device using a coaxial power plug. The 761K is used on Zaxcom devices that don't use 4-pin power connections, but Zaxcom is the only one. They chose this connector thinking it would be compatible with the BDS, not realizing that it was only the BDS box's outlet connectors. The 761K is the power OUTLET (not input) on the Remote Audio BDS (plus rip-offs), which was chosen because it wasn't used anywhere else in our industry and because the common power plug (2.0 pin) could not be accidentally plug into the BDS outlets. Also, the "K" designates a switchable ground connection (or isolation) that requires a long-shaft plug. Another potential problem is that a power cable with the 761K will plug into other devices - the majority of which use the 2.0mm center pin -  but because the 761K is made for jacks with a 2.5mm center pin the connection will be intermittent at best. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference visually between the 761K and S761, so the fewer 2.5mm power input jacks for devices we use, the better. With all that in mind, since you already have the 761K mating jack installed, be sure to label the power cable for your modded RX12, with something like red shrink so it doesn't accidentally find it's way into other devices.

gt

... Speaking of red, these connectors can also be ordered in red...

The 2.5mm long shaft 761K (black) is 766K (in red) - for BDS and zax rxs

The 2.0mm short shaft S760K (black) is S765K (in red) - for Lectro and other gear...

And just for reference as we are here, for the zax txs and other 2.5mm short shaft things, it's 760K in black / 765K in red.

Has Zaxcom introduced any new recorder that accepts Dante? They seem invested in AES only, which has kept them limited to 8 AES channels. Sound Devices has embraced Dante and even Madi with their new Pix 970.

Does Glenn have an answer to Zaxcom's design philosophy?

Zaxcom doesn't play with others. But I'm willing to bet they're working on there own version of Dante.

Zaxcom doesn't play with others. But I'm willing to bet they're working on there own version of Dante.

Zaxcom plays quite nicely with others, thank you, but does not have any recorders or devices (yet) that utilize Dante network protocols. Zaxcom is NOT working on "their own version of Dante" but rather I imagine they will come out with devices that utilize Audinate's Dante protocols.  This will insure that Zaxcom continues to play well with others (not withstanding Justan's personal opinion).

Zaxcom plays quite nicely with others, thank you, but does not have any recorders or devices (yet) that utilize Dante network protocols. Zaxcom is NOT working on "their own version of Dante" but rather I imagine they will come out with devices that utilize Audinate's Dante protocols. This will insure that Zaxcom continues to play well with others (not withstanding Justan's personal opinion).

#fanboy

Fanboy --- and proud of it! My comment, however, had nothing to do with being a fan, rather it was to correct the mis-conception that Zaxcom is working on "their own version of Dante". Had it been said something like: "most probably Zaxcom is working on implementing Dante in their next recorder or related products" I would not have had to say anything, fanboy or not.

This is not exactly from the horse's mouth, but fairly close (from the Deva 32 thread):

I can safely say that that one of the features, amongst many other neat features, will be Dante.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question for Glenn or Howy. Would it be possible for the RX12 to incorporate a matrix switcher in than any receiver channel could be assigned to any output? I could imagine a scenario where I would have 12 cast members wired up but only actively mixing half of them in any particular scene and it would be useful to be able to assign them to my mixer inputs, which is less than 12 channels.

It just occurred to me that an actual matrix switcher would not be required, just a frequency and control scheme paradigm that would allow cast transmitters to be shuttled around on different physical receivers. Cast name/number support would be handy if this were possible to be implemented.

Covers for open slots are on the way soon.

Glenn

How are those open slot covers coming along?

Also, in regards to the RX12 and its advertised functions, it would be great if an RX-12 to Nomad cable* was included with the unit. Or, being given a bit more notice that you would have to make your own in order to take advantage of the RX-12's functionality, more specifically being able to: 

"Pair the RX-12 with Nomad 10 or Nomad 12 and ZaxNet will re-frequency your transmitters to match with the touch of a button. In addition, the RX-12 and Nomad combo allows for quick and easy TRX gain adjustments."

*Special thanks to Wandering Ear for making the custom cable I needed to make this work.  

• 3 weeks later...

A question to those that are using a RX12 without a Nomad or QRXIfb...

Pairing it with an IFB100/200 for remote controls, is there a way to see the TXs gain?

I've just made some tests and (maybe because IFB100/200 have not a serial connection) I was able to change TXs gain, etc, but I not to see that changes reflected on the RX12 display (gain value remains stuck in the same value).

So it appeared to me I hadn't a way to see where my TXs gain is set, apart of taking a look at the TXs display...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...