To all LA Sound Mixers,

My name is Thomas Snodgrass and I'm trying to break into the location sound biz ;) I've been doing small freelance gigs here and there while working full time in a restaurant. I own a 633, MKH-50 and 60 but rent all of my wireless etc for my gigs. If you ever need a good boom op or utility I'd love to be added to your list. I have an audio engineering degree and years of experience with all types of audio equipment. Also, if you ever just need a little "pro bono" help or are willing to let someone tag along and pick your brain, I'd love the opportunity. Thanks!

-Thomas-

what have you worked on ??

there is a lot more to being a"good boom op" than just holding a stick, and getting a check.

maybe tell us a bit more about yourself (there is a section/thread: "Who I am..." and the work you have done...

and networking will be very important: hang out at the usual suspects places, and make friends...

Thanks for the good input! I'll be sure to check out the "who am I" thread. Just for the purposes of whom ever might be reading this... I have worked for a company called Acting Trailers for the last two years as thier production sound mixer and dialogue editor. It's a small company, we do one/two reels per month at most. Here's a link to a few projects http://vimeo.com/88311247 I've also done a few short films in the last year as well as some sizzle reels and a "pilot" episode of a travel show.  Here is a link to the travel show http://vimeo.com/89252737. I also did the SFX and dialogue editing for this project. I've also been able to shadow Beau Baker on the set of Grey's Anatomy multiple times. That was very helpful in getting a feel for the workflow of a more professional gig.

Beau B is a top man n mixer. I'm sure you understand that. As for your aspirations, nothing wrong with wanting to be a mixer, but the art of recording sound for picture is booming and 2nd booming IMO. To me the best path to being a good mixer is to work your way up from the ranks since you're working here in LA.  Best of luck.

CrewC

old school : thanks for the input/encouragement.. I certainly intend to work my way up and I'm willing to start at the bottom.

senator : visiting Beau has definitely shined some light on many ways I can improve. I'm doing my best not to really form any habits good or bad. I'm learning as much as I can on my own, but really I'm looking forward to being "molded" by the more experienced people I hope to work with in the future.

It sounds like you have your head screwed on straight so you'll probably do well.

Just a caution about something that sabotages many beginners: One of the worst things you can do is show up on set and try to prove how much you know. That's an instant signal that you're a rank beginner who may be more of a liability than an asset. Ears and eyes open and mouth shut will get you the furthest the fastest.

Bring a great attitude and leave your ego at home.

The above advice will propel you further than any film school ever could.

It sounds like you have your head screwed on straight so you'll probably do well.

Just a caution about something that sabotages many beginners: One of the worst things you can do is show up on set and try to prove how much you know. That's an instant signal that you're a rank beginner who may be more of a liability than an asset. Ears and eyes open and mouth shut will get you the furthest the fastest.

As always, good advice from JB. This applies to sound and the world at large IMO.

CrewC

It's not just a signal you are a rank beginner, but actually in a way insulting to those around you who may of been doing this for decades...  It makes those people around you think  " what an ass, he's been at this for a year and he's a know it all".

That guy is seldom asked back..... 

What John says, "ears and eyes wide open and mouth shut..."  

Just be the humble looking for more experience guy or gal and you should grow and go far....

THS: " I'm doing my best not to really form any habits good or bad. I'm learning as much as I can on my own, "

ah.... pay attention to the others above: working on projects with really low budgets, and inexperienced movie makers will teach you bad habits, as they typically don't know how to make a movie, and are making it up as they go.

I really do appreciate all the good insight from you guys! I've been reffering to this forum for the last few years to answer many of my questions and I've gained a respect for the senator, JB and old school among others. For me, it's exciting just to get input from you guys!