Headset Mics

Arnold F.

I'm working on an exercise video and need suggestions on headset mics.  I have heard that the Countryman E6 may not be secure enough for exercising ladies.

A.

True, the E6 or earset has a tendency to fly off when they shake their heads doing exercises, been there and done that.. Look for specific headsets made for exercises.

Eric

Arnold,

Psc makes a headset mic- the headband is a bit bulky, but the element sounds good

Countryman makes a headset mic- smaller headband and ofcourse, sweat resistant

Voice Tech makes one as well- again smaller headband, and resistant.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eric Lamontagne

Countryman ISOMAX Headsets? This is the larger version that wraps around the back of the neck to the opposite ear. I've used them to good effect, but puppeteers don't like em because the get in the way of the rods.

These are mine, used and good cond. Wired to XLR but can be easily switched to a lectro 5pin.

http://trewaudio.com/consignment/microphones/

Good Luck

Eric

• 5 years later...

Hi Arnold,

I have expeience with videos like these and have tested a variety of head set mics. Your right that thr E6's will not stay put especially with a lot of sweat and movement but Countryman does make an ear clip that turns it into a double ear around one hundred dollars that I haven't personally tested but may just do the trick. Personally I like to use the Countryman H6 when a headset is most appropriate.. It has a lower profile, sweat ring and the fit is more customizable then the E6 since the boom length can be adjusted.

• 6 years later...

Curious to know if anyone these days has a recommendation on current headsets for fitness instructors. I am helping out a friend who put together a kit for live streaming fitness instruction. I am aiming for the more professional recommendation for them versus the Google search $100 janky looking headsets with all sorts of failure points. My gut tells me DPA or countryman headsets with double ears. Trying to help him find a solution best for sweaty human contact. Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with these but so far I am recommending to them based on my experience with DPA and countryman Lavalier mics. 

Most of the local YMCA etc streaming teachers have gone for E6 w/ Senn. G series, or mics that are Chinese knockoffs of the E6.  They seem to work quite well for them.  I bought a Samson "Airline" setup for one dancer because it was the only rig I could find in which the transmitter was built-in to the earpiece--ie no wire and no TX box.  It's a very elegant, well thought-out system.  The earset stayed on the head very well and the range was adequate for class work.  The voice sound wasn't bad, but had far too much BG noise for our use.  I got away with it a little by expanding the bejeezus out of the feed (using signal processing built-in to the PA board), but that was really just ok for a class with bumping music and low audio expectations.  If anyone knows of another "1-piece" earset+TX rig I'd love to hear about it.

55 minutes ago, Rick Reineke said:

I have used Countryman H6 headset mics for years.. An 'Earset'  mic like the E6 could be used for less rigorous activities.

This h6 is spot on for this particular setup - multicam live switching live dj etc. seems like the perfect pro level solution. thank you!