Portabrace AO Organizer Bags: Modifications - Brainstorm Frenzy!

BTW... I actually picked up one of the AO bags at the booth, using the display to explain what I'd do... but PB didn't have the 1.5 there, only the smaller bag... that wasn't you was it? :lol:

I've actually only been with Portabrace for 7 months. NAB 2014 was my first, so it wouldn't have been me that you spoke to.

That being said, I understand your TSA frustrations. So keep your eyes peeled at NAB 2015.  ::)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam... do you have a vision for what I'm describing? I don't think it would be expensive in manufacturing/designing a travel bag... that someone could use all the time as well.

If you hold your 633 (or whatever) and a row of receivers... then fold them out away from each other... that's about it really. For a BDS system you simply have one more fold out on one end... then everything stays wired up/powered... while the whole mess will lay flat in a TSA bin.

Every time I fly I have an 80% chance of being asked to disconnect everything so it's all placed out flat... 20% of the time the guy I talk to says they're used to media travel... and they don't make me open it all up. A nice opening bag that says "I have nothing to hide here" and perhaps even a "TSA Friendly" logo that's exposed when the bag is opened?

*shrug* I think it's a pretty good idea for a bag. I'm surprised that doesn't get better response here... maybe I'm the only one who hates to disassemble his bag in a TSA line...?

Mattin: " do you have a vision for what I'm describing? "

I do,  ... I guess I got it the first time you described it.

" maybe I'm the only one who hates to disassemble his bag in a TSA line...? "

I don't like undressing in the TSA lines...(metal inside my body)

Adam... do you have a vision for what I'm describing? I don't think it would be expensive in manufacturing/designing a travel bag... that someone could use all the time as well.

If you hold your 633 (or whatever) and a row of receivers... then fold them out away from each other... that's about it really. For a BDS system you simply have one more fold out on one end... then everything stays wired up/powered... while the whole mess will lay flat in a TSA bin.

Every time I fly I have an 80% chance of being asked to disconnect everything so it's all placed out flat... 20% of the time the guy I talk to says they're used to media travel... and they don't make me open it all up. A nice opening bag that says "I have nothing to hide here" and perhaps even a "TSA Friendly" logo that's exposed when the bag is opened?

*shrug* I think it's a pretty good idea for a bag. I'm surprised that doesn't get better response here... maybe I'm the only one who hates to disassemble his bag in a TSA line...?

I think I understand what you're describing, yes. I'm sure for the people who travel continuously and get asked to open their bag a large percentage of the time, a feature that allowed you to complete this task with minimal effort would be a great bonus. 

That being said, although it is a logical and straightforward Idea, its hard to estimate as to how many people would be interested in a bag that is made specifically with that function in mind. As I always say to anyone with a new idea or modification, If enough people request that product or change to a product, then It's definitely within my interests to spend some more time researching it.

I'll have to read through some other forum threads on the subject.  We will also see what other peoples input is on this thread. What do other users do when face to face with TSA?    

Thanks!

I refuse any request to disconnect anything in my bag. I simply say NO thanks, It's all connected together swab it if you like. My big bag sits in the bin and goes through the X-ray fine. We don't HAVE to submit to every request the tsa ask. Just say no.

"can you disconnect the things that are in there?" NO

"you have to check your pole" NO thanks, it's in the same category as a small camera tripod. Its in the book. Look it up.

"you have to check the lithium batteries". NO. I'm specifically NOT supposed to check the lithium batteries.

fieldmixer: " We don't HAVE to submit to every request the tsa ask. "

and they don't have to let you through to get on the flight... they can "just say NO"

Trimise de la un calculator personal meu de dispozitive cu ajutorul unui Internet program, puteţi spune care?

Update:

There are a few extra modifications and changes currently being made to the bag.

We're working on: A simple system to secure the NP1 in place when sat in the side pocket; addition of some small accessory/pen/battery/medie pocket slots to the inside of the front pouch; adding a slim pocket on top of the access flap; making the vinyl cover a little longer, along with the handles. 

These pictures show the bag with a few items in place. The mixers are a good reference to view the size and fit of similar mixers like the Nomad and Maxx.

Thanks! 

Nomad 2 H - 9.9 W - 7 H

552- 2.1 H- 11 W - 6.6 D

633 - 2.2 H - 9.4 W - 5.6 D

Maxx - 2 H - 7.75 W - 5.5 D

post-8267-0-08781700-1399922508_thumb.jp

post-8267-0-11907500-1399922521_thumb.jp

post-8267-0-40388100-1399922532_thumb.jp

Update:

There are a few extra modifications and changes currently being made to the bag.

We're working on: A simple system to secure the NP1 in place when sat in the side pocket; addition of some small accessory/pen/battery/medie pocket slots to the inside of the front pouch; adding a slim pocket on top of the access flap; making the vinyl cover a little longer, along with the handles.

These pictures show the bag with a few items in place. The mixers are a good reference to view the size and fit of similar mixers like the Nomad and Maxx.

Thanks!

Nomad 2 H - 9.9 W - 7 H

552- 2.1 H- 11 W - 6.6 D

633 - 2.2 H - 9.4 W - 5.6 D

Maxx - 2 H - 7.75 W - 5.5 D

So the bag is a lot wider then nomad?

So the bag is a lot wider then nomad?

Correct, yes.

The AO-1.5 interior dimensions are: 6 H - 12 W - 6 D. 

The AO-1.5 is a comfortable option for the Nomad, allowing the frame of the bag to fully protect the XLR inputs and also the output cables. This added room keeps the unit and your connectors protected within the hard frame of the bag. 

The AO-1 (Which will be the 2nd released re-design) is: 6 H - 10.5 W - 5.5 D.

This would be more suited to the Nomad measurements if you were looking for less room either end of the unit.

Thanks 

Adam, I love the redesign. I have been using Petrol 614, and their larger Deca lines, and the older Portabrace mixer bags and RM-Multi pouches. I had the chance to use a super old AO-1U the other day and I fell in love with the small bag size and the headphone holder.

I'm very much looking forward to the re-release of the AO-1. Your improvements to the 1.5 are spot on. I'd happily buy the new line compared to what else is available on the market right now. I had basically written off Petrol and Portabrace and was looking to what Orca would bring or the possibility of ordering a high-priced Kortwich from overseas. Thanks for puttng Portabrace back on my list.

Adam, I love the redesign. I have been using Petrol 614, and their larger Deca lines, and the older Portabrace mixer bags and RM-Multi pouches. I had the chance to use a super old AO-1U the other day and I fell in love with the small bag size and the headphone holder.

I'm very much looking forward to the re-release of the AO-1. Your improvements to the 1.5 are spot on. I'd happily buy the new line compared to what else is available on the market right now. I had basically written off Petrol and Portabrace and was looking to what Orca would bring or the possibility of ordering a high-priced Kortwich from overseas. Thanks for puttng Portabrace back on my list.

This is awesome, thank you for the message. It's been a group effort and will contunue to be a group effort moving forward. I'm looking forward to the release of all the AO line. As soon as we're finished with the AO-1.5, the AO-1 will be hot on its heels.

Thanks.

Adam... Take a look at Porta Brace's own AO3 or AO5... now imagine fully removable (unzip most likely) sides... and a center divider that's actually two pieces flat together, so that gear on both sides of that center divider (which is actually 2) can open away from each other.

If you like the trapezoidal shape of the Stingray, then you could create that trapezoid entirely through the zip-on sides. I don't know if you'd need a full internal skeleton like Orca and Stingray, but maybe just something rigid to hold the shape of the bag in the mixer slot... then have the other components of the bag "leaning in" towards it... or... of course if you prefer the traditional square bag... just go that route. With this suggestion you could even sell alternate bag sides... that would simply zip on replacing what came stock... giving the buyer the option to mod their own bag as they choose.

BTW... I'm not saying a bag should be designed exclusively for TSA... I'm saying that if you made a bag that people liked already... and it was very TSA friendly (for them, and us)... people would end up loving that bag. Of course it's got to be a nice practical bag in normal use too.

Another thing... if you've never seen a 5.11 Tactical back-pack... Porta Brace should buy one and have it sitting on the design table while you think about how to make a really cool sound bag. I'd wager that sound guys would fully embrace a black bag with molle and literally a place for everything... including future expansion via the molle.

That was a factor in my choice to buy the Stingray... and I think Orca buyers will chew through the rubber coated connection points on top of those bags (initially I thought those were cables and "wow!"... but on closer inspection I see they are rubber covered webbing)...

I appreciate your input Senator.

I'm not after traction... I just bought a Stingray bag, which I think is extremely well-designed. I still own both Petrol and Porta Brace.

If ideas were a dime a dozen, I'd be rich... but in this case they're free... take 'em or leave 'em. I'm not here hoping Porta Brace designs the bag I want... I just bought that... it's the title of this thread... that's why I'm posting. I'd have left it go, until a couple guys chimed in on their feelings about getting gear through TSA.

I'd never tell a TSA officer that I refuse to disconnect gear... you and I are in agreement r.e. your response to the previous poster, because yes, they have the authority to make me miss my flight.

If a manufacturer made a sound bag with molle around it, like a 5.11 Rush backpack, and it was intelligently laid out and balanced... plus comfortable to wear and self-supporting... and then on top of that... it just happened to be really easy to fly with...

I'm sure everybody would hate it... (sarcasm)...

I do think sound guys who travel with gear would have an "ah-ha" moment when this feature eliminated a common annoyance... but I'm just brainstorming here... as the title says. If I worked for Porta Brace or another bag company... I'd look at all the options, including really unconventional, original designs.

There's a reason a lot of people are excited about the Stingray and Orca's coming bags... and that's it... they're doing things nobody else has done yet.

Mattin: " I'd look at all the options, including really unconventional, original designs. "

unconventional original designs are easy (and Kortwich seems to have the market cornered) but they come at a price, and the project also has to something than can be manufactured and marketed (sold) at a profit.

Adam... Take a look at Porta Brace's own AO3 or AO5... now imagine fully removable (unzip most likely) sides... and a center divider that's actually two pieces flat together, so that gear on both sides of that center divider (which is actually 2) can open away from each other.

If you like the trapezoidal shape of the Stingray, then you could create that trapezoid entirely through the zip-on sides. I don't know if you'd need a full internal skeleton like Orca and Stingray, but maybe just something rigid to hold the shape of the bag in the mixer slot... then have the other components of the bag "leaning in" towards it... or... of course if you prefer the traditional square bag... just go that route. With this suggestion you could even sell alternate bag sides... that would simply zip on replacing what came stock... giving the buyer the option to mod their own bag as they choose.

BTW... I'm not saying a bag should be designed exclusively for TSA... I'm saying that if you made a bag that people liked already... and it was very TSA friendly (for them, and us)... people would end up loving that bag. Of course it's got to be a nice practical bag in normal use too.

Another thing... if you've never seen a 5.11 Tactical back-pack... Porta Brace should buy one and have it sitting on the design table while you think about how to make a really cool sound bag. I'd wager that sound guys would fully embrace a black bag with molle and literally a place for everything... including future expansion via the molle.

That was a factor in my choice to buy the Stingray... and I think Orca buyers will chew through the rubber coated connection points on top of those bags (initially I thought those were cables and "wow!"... but on closer inspection I see they are rubber covered webbing)...

Hey Mattin,

Thanks again for your input. I've read through all your thoughts and checked the links to the products you suggested. So, I'm on the same page with you and can picture your design idea. 

Looking over past and present AO-series of bags, I think that the current design of AO-1.5 is pretty much as close as we could get to your idea, without jeopardizing the structural integrity of the frame. The AO-1.5 has always, as far as I know, had fully removable modular sides. (The potential for modular interchangeable sides was discussed earlier in the thread). This allows the user to completely remove the sides and also slide out the middle dividers, leaving you complete access to everything. 

Agreed, It would be an added bonus for that center strip of the main bag to then fold out into three and lay flat. But, due to the design and construction of the AO, that would most likely take too much away from the structural integrity of the bag. 

I'm often challenged with bringing ideas like this to the design team and working through these requests. I often have to make compromises somewhere in the middle, as the end goal for Portabrace has always been to create a product that will pass the test of time. That is the main reason as to why the Portabrace bags you see now, even the re-designs, are kept clean and simple. That is also personally why I like the Portabrace audio bags.  

I do like the military molle idea. I actually wanted to create a custom military vest that carried the 633 on the chest, receivers on the back for NAB this year, just as an eye catching concept model. But... due to the fact that every item is hand stitched, the time it takes to put any molle covered item together often pushes the price to a point that isn't competitive. 

So, realistically in a nutshell, I don't think that we would be able to incorporate those ideas into the bag. But, that doesn't mean we can't look into other modifications that will improve the options for traveling mixers. 

Thanks again! 

Adam

Hi Adam,

I think it is a very good idea to show your bags with different mixers. The AO 1.5 is perfect size for an 552. I used my old 1.5 with it and the slightly larger width was great for lifting 552 up to get access to media slot below.

The measurements could lead to wrong bag decisions - height 552: 6,6 and AO 1.5:  6. But as of your picture the bag is the proper height - as my experience is.

I even put my 664 in the AO 1.5 and its possible even when measurements say no. But here it needs more height and better access to media slots and is therefore not so great. I guess you will make an AO for that mixer size as well.

For the NP1 compartment I hope you do it not too tight so that an Hawkwoods Adapter with Hirose would fit also on top of an NP1 as there are switches on the not shown side and it can't be buried in below. Right now I have it in the main compartment but would love to put it to the side.  

NPU-SQN4S_Large.jpg

And against confusing issus - please do give them another name. like 5D Mk2 / Mk3 maybe. But no one should get confused if they order a new or an older model.

Hi Adam,

I think it is a very good idea to show your bags with different mixers. The AO 1.5 is perfect size for an 552. I used my old 1.5 with it and the slightly larger width was great for lifting 552 up to get access to media slot below.

The measurements could lead to wrong bag decisions - height 552: 6,6 and AO 1.5:  6. But as of your picture the bag is the proper height - as my experience is.

I even put my 664 in the AO 1.5 and its possible even when measurements say no. But here it needs more height and better access to media slots and is therefore not so great. I guess you will make an AO for that mixer size as well.

For the NP1 compartment I hope you do it not too tight so that an Hawkwoods Adapter with Hirose would fit also on top of an NP1 as there are switches on the not shown side and it can't be buried in below. Right now I have it in the main compartment but would love to put it to the side.  

NPU-SQN4S_Large.jpg

And against confusing issus - please do give them another name. like 5D Mk2 / Mk3 maybe. But no one should get confused if they order a new or an older model.

Hi there,

I plan on shooting the bag in many different setups and making those pictures

Available on as many websites as possible. The Portabrace website and current

Pictures have been improved a huge amount. I agree though that size pictures are

Important to show all compatible mixer options.

I'll have pictures for the release with a:

633 + XLB2 attached

Nomad

788-CL8

Maxx

Diva

And any other mixers I can get my hands on by Monday!

I'm also pretty sure that ther will be enough space in the NP1 pocket to use that styl of cup.

Thanks!