Portabrace AO Organizer Bags: Modifications - Brainstorm Frenzy!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my current setup I dont need bells and whistles. I need small, lite and tight. 

This confirms the fact that not one sound mixer is the same.

The bells and whistles that these new bags are offering is actually something i would personally avoid. Strong, lightweight and famously durable, is exactly why over the years Portabrace has become my favorite. Simplicity of design for me is where it's at. 

That being said. The Modified AO-1.5 soon to be released does now offer 2 whistles and a bell. Definitely a step in the right direction. 

Ok, so here she is. The New AO-1.5X.

Thank you everyone involved for your input and interest. Its been an extremely helpful and interesting process. 

I hope this bag will be well received and users will appreciate the adaptations and changes made to the bag.

Thanks again!

AO-1.5 changes:

Large access flap on back. (Media/Battery) With attached external NP1 pocket.

NP1/BDS/transmitter pockets on

both sides.

Boom rest/headphone pouch/flask pocket on right.

NP1 Velcro locks on each side.

Metal harness attachment rings each side.

Smaller compact collapsible front pocket.

Accessory storage in front pocket. (Elastic bands and fabric pockets)

Interior copper colored lining.

Longer carry handles.

Longer vinyl cover.

Double layer vinyl pocket.

Boom-pole attachment point.

2 x Solid horizontal dividers.

7"H - 6"W - 12"L

3.3lbs empty with no strap. 

post-8267-0-61329800-1402239068_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-18274700-1402239090_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-19486100-1402239189_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-03817400-1402239245_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-59148700-1402239266_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-83754800-1402239271_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-20658400-1402239298_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-13004400-1402239309_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-26541300-1402239314_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-75645900-1402239323_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-47436300-1402239329_thumb.pn

post-8267-0-38948900-1402239475_thumb.pn

This looks really great. and light. 1.4lbs lighter than petrol equivalent, and 0.31lbs lighter than orca.

I WILL try one on for size once there is a unit at Trew audio in Toronto. Thanks for the great work.

Question; how exactly do the solid dividers attach to the interior of the side panels. I assume Velcro of course, but are there Velcro "tabs" as used on old timey portabrace bags? I ask because I wonder how the dividers react when completely opening up a side panel. Easy?

This looks really great. and light. 1.4lbs lighter than petrol equivalent, and 0.31lbs lighter than orca.

I WILL try one on for size once there is a unit at Trew audio in Toronto. Thanks for the great work.

Question; how exactly do the solid dividers attach to the interior of the side panels. I assume Velcro of course, but are there Velcro "tabs" as used on old timey ports brace bags? I ask because I wonder how the dividers react when completely opening up a side panel. Easy?

Thanks!

It is very light, especially for the size. The Velcro system on the solid dividers is the same as the older bags. It's simply one Velcro strip either end that secures the divider in place. Opening the sides with a setup in place, although I've only ever done that a couple of times it hasn't been an issue. My mixer and wireless stay in place with the dividers set between. I'll look into providing a third Velcro strip so that the divider can attach to the bottom of the bag also. That will make sure the divider is secure in that scenario.

Thanks for the clarification. Actually, a Velcro strip at the bottom likely would be a nightmare, cables that cross that barrier would continually get caught when trying to insert or remove. Awkward exercise and chews up the hands.

Better the divider float a bit at the bottom IMO.

Thanks for the clarification. Actually, a Velcro strip at the bottom might be a nightmare, cables that cross that barrier would continually get caught? The two strips at the side is A-OK.

Better the divider float a bit at the bottom IMO.

Copy that. Totally understood. I have my 2 dividers setup so there is a generous gap beneath, to allow for cables. Still, I'll look into the extra strip. As with most things, having the option is a good thing.

Thanks!

In my minds eye what might be cool is including 4 plastic Velcro backed "channels" that Velcro-free dividers slide into. Would make for extremely easy no fuss opening and closing (and also quiet I guess) of either side panel. Food for thought?

Absolutely. I think there would definitely be advantages to creating a system similar to that. Something we'll have to discuss further. I do think that the organizer bags should have a really good organizing system.

That rear pocket to the belly looks huge. Does it fold flat? I'd prefer to not have it at all. I guess a np1 in that pouch feels not so nice.

The flap on the front pouch looks a little too big too.

Curious about the Accessory storage in front pocket

And about the AO 1.0x :-) with 633 inside. I hope on that one the front pouch will be less big. And curious how to get to the Media slot on that one. I'd prefer a horizontal flap.

That rear pocket to the belly looks huge. Does it fold flat? I'd prefer to not have it at all. I guess a np1 in that pouch feels not so nice.

The flap on the front pouch looks a little too big too.

Curious about the Accessory storage in front pocket

And about the AO 1.0x :-) with 633 inside. I hope on that one the front pouch will be less big. And curious how to get to the Media slot on that one. I'd prefer a horizontal flap.

Hey Armin,

The pocket closest to the body does indeed compress flat very easily. In the picture, the pocket is filled out with foam. Yes, the main pocket will be a little smaller on the AO-1 in keeping with the slightly smaller dimensions of that bag. Also, I am working on some modular side options for the AO bags. The 633 in the AO-1, which is my personal favorite setup will definitely be a key focus. I will post some pictures and continue the discussion as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Do you have an expected timeframe to deliver the new bags? 

To me the front pouch needs not to be much deeper than the rear pocker now is.

The idea of letting the front pouch not go to the bottom (for not touching ground) isn't what you liked?  

Thanx

I'll let you know the time frame ASAP. I think the changes to the AO-1 won't take long at all. So stand by on that one.

The front pocket on the AO being level with the rest of the bag at the bottom, simply works and looks better when you start filling that pocket up. Are you saying that you would prefer it a little higher off the floor?

exactly - just by 1 or 2 cm. With time the front bag bends a bit down (when loaded) on my old Ao 1.5 so it touches ground always first. And this I don't like.

Its not protected as the main compartment is - so I don't put transmitters in there.

I would do it on all the outer pockets incl. flansk like that. For instance if the floor is wet / dirty...

edit:

And I would not put plastic feet under main compartment. Adds weight and cordura is strong enough.

exactly - just by 1 or 2 cm. With time the front bag bends a bit down (when loaded) on my old Ao 1.5 so it touches ground always first. And this I don't like.

Its not protected as the main compartment is - so I don't put transmitters in there.

I would do it on all the outer pockets incl. flansk like that. For instance if the floor is wet / dirty...

edit:

And I would not put plastic feet under main compartment. Adds weight and cordura is strong enough.

The front pocket of this AO actually has a piece of strong plastic that protects the bottom of the collapsible pocket. This plastic section folds up and down so that when the pocket is not in use, it sits close to the body of the bag.

The underside of the bag is now water resistant fabric, the side pockets are attached so that the weight of the transmitters on the sides doesn't push that pocket to the floor.

Sounds very well thought out indeed.

Thanks, I have my fingers crossed that users will appreciate all these little thought processes.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has made the decision to make this their new bag. I'm interested in collecting a few user images of the bag.

Great news :-)

The modifications like waterproof bottom and fold away plastic are well thought. +1

If I had a nomad I'd buy one for sure. And for 552 I think that would be my choice. 788 as well.

But for 633 / 664 thats not my way to go. If you need a betatester for AO 1 (without NP Bellypocket ;-) ) I would be happy to test and send some nice fully loaded pics.  

Is here anybody that would use the pocket to the belly for an NP-1? I think vertical on the sides is more helpful for getting through tight doors etc.