Reality Mixer Bag - Recommendations?

Chris Durfy

I normally carry a 442, 3 or 4 411a'a, 3 or 4 cast um400's and 2 um400 hops, plus BDSv2 in my Pegz-3 (in which I sometimes drop in a 302 or 744t). It also carries all my accessories and batteries.

I recently did a shoot with the much lighter Wendt X5 and five 411's in a PortaBrace bag and had forgotten how much lighter and easier on the back that that setup was. I used the Setwear Small AC pouch for all my accessories and mic kits.

I want to minimize my back strain and maximize more of my things around my belt area.

Any recommendations? Pegz-1? Pegz PPMB? Pegz-1F? Portabrace? Koala? What are your experiences?

Thanks!

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Chris,

I'm using Kata Koala bag for smaller stuff, and PEGZ-3 for bigger shows. In the Koala lives 1/442, 2/lectro, 2/comtek transmitter + all the recivers (4 pcs) + 2 lecrto bodypacks, one small boom w/short shotgun, max 2 25 feet cables plus that ughly umbillical.

In the Petrol 2 442's, 2 744's, 8 lectros, 2 np-1 batteries. And versaflex harness...

I love the petrol 'cos it is very very user friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, I bought both the Kata Koala and the Petrol Pegz-1.

I tried the Koala, but I wasn't really sold on it's fit and ergonomics. When the zipper is open, the bag doesn't seem secure.

So, the 302 is living in the Pegz-1, which seems to suit it nicely.

Chris

I want to minimize my back strain and maximize more of my things around my belt area.

Hi Chris,

You've hit on something that's been bugging me for awhile. I've got some real estate on my sides that's not being used. Currently, I'm using the PEG-1 with a 442 and, very rarely, 4 lectros. Love the Petrol, for all its holes to accomodate my cabling, and space for an NP-1 up front. I also have the optional clip-on pouch, that takes stuff farther away from my belly. Thing is, the farther stuff gets from my belly, the heavier it feels, and the heavier the strain is on my back. At 45 and 21 years of bag stuff, it's really starting to hurt.

So now, I'm looking at my sides for relief. I think my left side could accomodate 3 Lectro Rx's and still leave room for inputs to my 442. I don't need them in my face all the time - a peek to the side every once in awhile is enough for me. My right side could accomodate a good sized pouch for the goodies I like to have with me all the time, and still leave room for my stereoline. Since I can't tell anything about how it's doing from looking down at it, I might as well have it far back, and as far away from my Lectro's as possible. That leaves just my 442 and NP-1 up front.

I think we're due for a rethinking of how we carry our stuff. We need a wrap-around bag. If Petrol, Porta-brace, kata or anybody else reading this is interested in my idea, I'll sell it to you for 25 bucks.

Cheers,

André

Edited by André Boisvert

Hi Chris,

You've hit on something that's been bugging me for awhile. I've got some real estate on my sides that's not being used. Currently, I'm using the PEG-1 with a 442 and, very rarely, 4 lectros. Love the Petrol, for all its holes to accomodate my cabling, and space for an NP-1 up front. I also have the optional clip-on pouch, that takes stuff farther away from my belly. Thing is, the farther stuff gets from my belly, the heavier it feels, and the heavier the strain is on my back. At 45 and 21 years of bag stuff, it's really starting to hurt.

So now, I'm looking at my sides for relief. I think my left side could accomodate 3 Lectro Rx's and still leave room for inputs to my 442. I don't need them in my face all the time - a peek to the side every once in awhile is enough for me. My left side could accomodate a good sided pouch for the goodies I like to have with me all the time, and still leave room for my stereoline. Since I can't tell anything about how it's doing from looking down at it, I might as well have it far back, and as far away from my Lectro's as possible. That leaves just my 442 and NP-1 up front.

I think we're due for a rethinking of how we carry our stuff. We need a wrap-around bag. If Petrol, Porta-brace, kata or anybody else reading this is interested in my idea, I'll sell it to you for 25 bucks.

Cheers,

André

http://singlesystemslate.com/

You are absolutely correct--every fraction of an inch you allow your gear to move away from you frontwards increases the leverage on your back.  I am working on trying to figure out ways to keep the rig as "shallow and wide" as possible, to remove that leverage.  With the bit of progress I've made the results were dramatic--my back/knees/feet etc were all much happier on a long multiday bag shoot recently.  Another consideration is lightening up the package, doing as much w/ less, if possible, and looking at lightweight RX like the Lectro SR.

Philip Perkins