Exit Music

jason porter

Turns out that that was the second of CBC Music's/Tom Allen's forays into one take music videos. Here's the first:

There's also a "behind the scenes" for the video that Jason Porter linked to at the beginning of this thread:

Great stuff. Thanks to Jason for pointing it out.

I am disappointed, the "Behind the Scenes" video didn't show anything about how the sound was done.(probably the most complex thing in a shot involving musical recordings in several locations)  It doesn't seem there was even a sound mixer involved from what you see in the behind the scenes.  Although in each shot there are microphones on stands no mention is made of how these were mixed into the piece.   The average viewer would be led to believe that the short shotgun mic on top of the DSLR camera captured all the sound. 

My guess,  considering the level of the lighting and camera equipment used in the Music video,  they had a separate Zoom recorder with a pair (or 4) mics independently running in each room with performers.  They  then used the mic on the camera as a reference and the host on a wireless and Plural eyes to sync all the non TC Zoom recordings in post.   (Just a guess but it would be nice to see how it was really  done)

(Just a guess but it would be nice to see how it was really  done)

I, and I imagine others, share your curiosity. Looks like Mr. Porter is in a position to elaborate :)

Another thing worth noticing is the (I imagine deliberate) decision to use the camera freehand without any kind of stabilization.

All I know is that there are credits for a recording engineer and a second. The director also sent me this note-

Thanks for sharing. The visuals get alot of attention in this clip but the video is truly an audio recording miracle. My appreciation for live music engineering is stronger than its ever been. Its cool to be involved is innovative projects like this.

I am disappointed, the "Behind the Scenes" video didn't show anything about how the sound was done.(probably the most complex thing in a shot involving musical recordings in several locations)  It doesn't seem there was even a sound mixer involved from what you see in the behind the scenes.  Although in each shot there are microphones on stands no mention is made of how these were mixed into the piece.   The average viewer would be led to believe that the short shotgun mic on top of the DSLR camera captured all the sound. 

My guess,  considering the level of the lighting and camera equipment used in the Music video,  they had a separate Zoom recorder with a pair (or 4) mics independently running in each room with performers.  They  then used the mic on the camera as a reference and the host on a wireless and Plural eyes to sync all the non TC Zoom recordings in post.   (Just a guess but it would be nice to see how it was really  done)

Hi Courtney. It looks like the quartet of monks is singing into a stereo pair of DPAs. The back to back pianos had some fancy mics and a nicely laid out bundle of cables running to the wall. I think it sounded great, especially as it was done live. some serious audio engineering going on. The only Zoom within a mile of this one was on the camera, I'm sure.