New iZotope RX3 Tutorials on Location Dialogue

robertw

Thanks for those - good stuff, I hadn't been using DeReverb correctly, and had been wondering about the usefulness of the programme, mind you this example is about as perfect a scenario as you'd get.

Interestingly I hate the sound of the treated dialog in this example, and generally really dislike the overcleaned' dx that is prevalant and devoid of any normal location indicators.  Some programs are so overdone ( not that I watch much TV ) my brain struggles to relate the voice to the source.

I ... generally really dislike the overcleaned' dx that is prevalant and devoid of any normal location indicators. Some programs are so overdone ( not that I watch much TV ) my brain struggles to relate the voice to the source.

This statement by iZotope on the capabilities of its de-reverb function just might be a little zealous:

"Take control over the amount of ambient space captured in a recording: make large cathedrals sound like small halls and make roomy vocals sound like they were recorded in a proper studio space."

For you post-folks who are experienced using iZotope, I'd be most appreciative of a chance to drop by and watch you treat some tracks.  I'm a production mixer with a real need to calibrate my understanding of how well iZotope can fix our basic daily problems, and at what costs in skill and time.  I'll happily work around your schedule.

Fred

Fred Schultz CAS

818-395-1432

fredschu@earthlink.net

For you post-folks who are experienced using iZotope, I'd be most appreciative of a chance to drop by and watch you treat some tracks.  I'm a production mixer with a real need to calibrate my understanding of how well iZotope can fix our basic daily problems, and at what costs in skill and time.  I'll happily work around your schedule.

Fred

Fred Schultz CAS

818-395-1432

fredschu@earthlink.net

+1 on this for me with any NYC posties.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

sean at sean in brooklyn dot com

For you post-folks who are experienced using iZotope, I'd be most appreciative of a chance to drop by and watch you treat some tracks. I'm a production mixer with a real need to calibrate my understanding of how well iZotope can fix our basic daily problems, and at what costs in skill and time. I'll happily work around your schedule.

Fred

Fred Schultz CAS

818-395-1432

fredschu@earthlink.net

If you're in Orlando, I'd be happy to show you the ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Thornton, who made the above videos, has a bit over four hours of RX 3 tutorials at http://groove3.com. On the same site, he also has 80 minutes of tutorials on iZotope Insight, which comes bundled with RX 3 Advanced. Access is by purchase of the videos ($35 for RX, $25 for Insight) or a monthly site pass ($15).

I downloaded trial versions of RX 3 Advanced and Insight a few days ago, and watched Thornton's tutorials yesterday. He's easy to listen to and his tutorials are both methodical and thorough. The videos that I posted above are not part of his Groove3 tutorials, apparently having been made more recently. iZotope's own Help files are also good.

While checking out iZotope's web site, I also came across this video with Bob Brownow about his use of RX on The Deadliest Catch: https://www.izotope.com/en/community/artists/post-production/bob-bronow/

P.S. Subsequent to writing the above, I decided to purchase RX 3 Advanced/Insight. This package, and RX 3 Standard, are priced at significant discounts until the end of the month. Very smooth transaction. Less than two minutes after ordering from iZotope - which says that it could take 24 hours - I had serial number authorizations for both RX and the Insight plug-in.

I purchased the package in part because I really like the interface (very clean and focused) and tools (both the selection tools which, if you use Photoshop, will be like old home week, and the modules themselves), and because I think that RX Advanced/Insight will be useful for more than fixing audio problems. I plan to use the package for audio analysis, I think RX 3 is interesting both for sound effects development and as a general sound editor if one needs to deal with not more than two tracks at a time, and that Insight's metering capabilities (apparently US$500 by itself as a plug-in) will prove to be useful both analytically and as an output control.

FS: " need to calibrate my understanding of how well iZotope can fix our basic daily problems, "

it can make a lot of difference (given: time+effort+$$), but we still need to do our best to get it right during production...

+1. if some of us start accepting certain noises because post can deal with it, the rest of us will have a harder time fighting against problems on set. In the end we'll have crew members talking during takes because Rx can deal with it.

+1. if some of us start accepting certain noises because post can deal with it, the rest of us will have a harder time fighting against problems on set. In the end we'll have crew members talking during takes because Rx can deal with it.

+1.

Actors will (hopefully) still be complaining when crew members talk during a take.

I do post gigs on occasion and Izotope has saved my butt numerous times.  One such instance was a critical scene that had inconsistent crickets in the background depending on the angle.  At one point we were thinking we might have to dub the scene but Izotope was able to reduce it to almost nil and then with our own ambient layer thrown on top, you'd never know we had touched the audio.  Very impressive...

Thanks for those - good stuff, I hadn't been using DeReverb correctly, and had been wondering about the usefulness of the programme, mind you this example is about as perfect a scenario as you'd get.

Interestingly I hate the sound of the treated dialog in this example, and generally really dislike the overcleaned' dx that is prevalant and devoid of any normal location indicators.  Some programs are so overdone ( not that I watch much TV ) my brain struggles to relate the voice to the source.

hi jozzafunk-

Interesting thought……What would it "look" like if everyone on screen was lit evenly without any shadows or perspective?

Well, that's exactly what's happening with dialogue, especially when everyone is lav'd up and the above mentioned tools are OVER used.  

Post needs to start compensating for the time delay, and frequency shift when people are close/ far away.

I want my perspective back!   

-vincent

• 3 months later...