Going from 552- 633 advice

jwill

Hello brain trust here at JW Sound

...I know it has been discussed... I know its very personal... and depends..(Senator)...but I am going to make the leap to 633.

I ran all my Lectro Receivers at line level in my 552 and 302 and 442. I know the 633 is limited in this regard!

My questions, i will be using  a Lectro SRB and 2 smvs as my eng setup...adding 2 Lectro 411s' as my EFP setup with SMQVs'. 

I envision (advice & suggestions) running the SRB in Ch 5 & 6 as line level (where I like to run my lectros) and when I add the 411s' run one in ch 4 at line and the other in ch 3 at mic level...leaving ch 1 & 2 as mic level 48 v powered for hand mics re 50 & MKH 416 & 50. That seems to ME to be,  the way...MHO.

Bag question... do I jump into Sting Ray...take the basic kit bag from Porta Brace or wait for the orca?

Any other thoughts or opinions...please

KHW

...and all that's got mic input got phantom power or even line+12v as kind of a custom option for extreme loud sounds (drag strips, combat jets, etc).

The 3rd line of OP is wrong imo in that you can have line levels on every input on the 633. You're "limited" to 3 mic inputs (302 legacy after all, huh?) but not "limited" in regards to line inputs (hence wireless receivers inputs). In these parameters, any combination you could think of.

So routing could indeed be as Jaymz proposes (probably what a lot of us would use as a pattern too ; at least the one I'd use for sure and if the handheld was wireless, I'd use line level for the rx).

Fedex drops mine at the door tomorrow; can't wait! I'll see if I change my usual +4-5 411's levels to 0 like Marc does, a remark that makes me more eager to receive it. :D

...and all that's got mic input got phantom power or even line+12v as kind of a custom option for extreme loud sounds (drag strips, combat jets, etc).

The 3rd line of OP is wrong imo in that you can have line levels on every input on the 633. You're "limited" to 3 mic inputs (302 legacy after all, huh?) but not "limited" in regards to line inputs (hence wireless receivers inputs). In these parameters, any combination you could think of.

So routing could indeed be as Jaymz proposes (probably what a lot of us would use as a pattern too ; at least the one I'd use for sure and if the handheld was wireless, I'd use line level for the rx).

Fedex drops mine at the door tomorrow; can't wait! I'll see if I change my usual +4-5 411's levels to 0 like Marc does, a remark that makes me more eager to receive it. :D

Lets hope they don't DROP it at your door...LOL

Marc

then no boom input or hand mic? or set as you go kinda situation?

Wireless boom. In truth, trying to do more than 3 inputs is trying, but you can do 6 if you're willing to put up with the 3 "dinky knobs." For 90% of most doco situations, 3 inputs and 4 channels (mix + 3 isos) would work fine.

Get the ktek bag, its great. I regularly run boom on 1 and radios on 2,3,4,5 and have no problems mixing on the little knobs. Just takes a while to get used to. I too came to the 633 from 552 and love it. Jeremy

jwil: " and the other in ch 3 at mic level "

? --sorry I'm late...

" I looked at specs and SD says all line or 456 line and 123 mic, can it do ch 3 4 5 6 line and 1 2 mic? "

it is in the manual...

" Bag question... do I jump into Sting Ray...take the basic kit bag from Porta Brace or wait for the orca? "  yes.

Inputs 4 to 6 are line only. If you want to have mic level you will have to use something like the Kortwich 3 way pre-amp which has mic in and line out. specifically made for the 633.

Thanks Malcolm for that tip. This box should help me with my current setup.

Here's a link to the page (wish I could speak German!)

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/613.html

"I'm going to be picking up my new car tomorrow,  how should I adjust the seats, and the mirrors ??

GPS question: Garman, Magellan, or Tom-Tom ??"

Bummer.. now I have to read the manuals of Garmin (with 'i'), Magellan, and  TomTom (without'-') AND Mike's new car ( have no idea yet what that is going to be...) in order to be taken serious in this thread...Man oh man.....sigh..

Thanks Malcolm for that tip. This box should help me with my current setup.

Here's a link to the page (wish I could speak German!)

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/613.html

what would you like translated?

most of the info should be pretty straightforward, like:

KORTWICH Mikrofon Vorverstärker

3x Mikrofon IN

3x PH 48V ON/OFF

3x OUT für z.B. SD 633 Line IN

3x Pegelsteller

2x Hirose DC IN und OUT

598 € netto /  lieferbar

"pegelsteller" basically means gain knobs and "netto" means plus VAT (tax, which people outside of europe probably wouldnt have to pay)

nice little unit, i'd be tempted to get a MixPre instead unless i absolutely need 6 mic inputs (instead of 5).

++ c.

chris

Got mine an hour ago. Went through the menus and started to set the unit (date/time, TC, next production infos for thursday, inputs/outputs...)

Now diving into the manual for more infos.

Making cables tonight with a glass of wine.

Times a great.

A beauty, it's a beauty ! 

what would you like translated?

most of the info should be pretty straightforward, like:

KORTWICH Mikrofon Vorverstärker

3x Mikrofon IN

3x PH 48V ON/OFF

3x OUT für z.B. SD 633 Line IN

3x Pegelsteller

2x Hirose DC IN und OUT

598 € netto /  lieferbar

"pegelsteller" basically means gain knobs and "netto" means plus VAT (tax, which people outside of europe probably wouldnt have to pay)

nice little unit, i'd be tempted to get a MixPre instead unless i absolutely need 6 mic inputs (instead of 5).

++ c.

chris

Thanks Chris.

I sort of figured out the specs although good to have clarification of the "netto". I had trouble navigating the site as I didn't see an english version option - which I think would be a great idea to have considering the growing popularity of the products listed here.  

Thanks again,

Wil

Got mine an hour ago. Went through the menus and started to set the unit (date/time, TC, next production infos for thursday, inputs/outputs...)

Now diving into the manual for more infos.

Making cables tonight with a glass of wine.

Times a great.

A beauty, it's a beauty ! 

It will allways be 'boys and toys': funny, and I allways have the same feeling when opening 'the newly arrived box'.Have a good one!David C