George Carlin has died

Jeff Wexler

George Carlin, the acerbic, Grammy-winning comedian whose career spanned more than 50 years, died of heart failure Sunday evening after being admitted to the hospital complaining of chest pains, his spokesman said. He was 71.

This is really sad... one of the most unique and talented people ever ... his take on our language (and not just the 7 dirty words), our society and what it means to be a human being.

I will really miss him.

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815077872_thumb.jpg

George Carlin, the acerbic, Grammy-winning comedian whose career spanned more than 50 years, died of heart failure Sunday evening after being admitted to the hospital complaining of chest pains, his spokesman said. He was 71.

This is really sad... one of the most unique and talented people ever ... his take on our language (and not just the 7 dirty words), our society and what it means to be a human being.

I will really miss him.

-  Jeff Wexler

As will I. Did an interview with him long time ago in Chicago. A very bright, articulate and funny guy to work with. R.I.P George. You will be missed.

Eric

My dad passed on his fandom of George Carlin to me at a young age. One of my earliest memories is of him playing the seven words bit on vinyl. Like they often do, the record started skipping, right on the words themselves, causing a maelstrom of vulgarity the likes of which I'd never heard come from the speakers! I was a changed man from that point on.

I am a HUGE fan of stand-up comedy.  George Carlin started it all for me as a young child, as well as Buddy Hackett.  My mother was a fan of Carlin also.

As an adult, I learned how much he truly had to offer as an observer and critic of people as well as politics.

His mastery of the language and his powerful work ethic were inspirational.

George Carlin was among my top favorite celebs I've ever worked with (right up there with Roy Rogers and Carl Perkins). When I saw he was in the cast of a show I worked on a few years ago, I dreaded working with who I thought would be a crusty old curmudgeon. To my surprise, he was one of the kindest, smartest, and most humble people I've ever met.

During our stint on the show in Philadelphia, he had a live peformance nearby and invited the crew. When he asked if anyone needed an extra ticket, I told him that one of my sons (attending school in Philadelphia at the time) would like to go. He seemed genuinely flattered that someone younger would be interested and said, "Really?... Get him on the phone! So, right there on the set, George talked to my son on my cell phone and invited him to the show.

I could go on and on about good things I saw in George Carlin during those few months, but suffice it to say that - in my opinion - he will be among the best for a long time to come.

GT