Venue antenna power

hobosoundguy

Hi gang,

Just received a venue and going about powering my 650 antenna.

Have the board open but there is no pins in the slots.

Have done this before with other venues and usually there's 2 white forks you swap around. None in this unit.

There are two below them though. Are they spares by any chance?

yjegasu2.jpg

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

these look like standard computer mobo jumpers - maybe go to a local computer parts store and you may get them straight away. just a thought since vancouver is far away from new mexico... :)

A curved piece of small solid wire can replace the jumper. Cut with dykes so the "wedge" is in line with (works with) the contacts and not perpendicular to them.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks men. Joe in Toronto jumped on it for me.

Always worth knowing of course but basically would a staple or a stripped piece of paper clip do the trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wedge is going the wrong way on a staple. Also, staples have residual dry glue on them. A small wire paper clip would work and dykes can cut the soft steel. Again, make sure the wedge is going in parallel with the contacts and/or insert very gently and work it in. 

LEF

Hi gang,

Just received a venue and going about powering my 650 antenna.

Have the board open but there is no pins in the slots.

Have done this before with other venues and usually there's 2 white forks you swap around. None in this unit.

There are two below them though. Are they spares by any chance?

Fingers crossed.

Thank you for posting this.  We have found (and plugged) the hole in our production procedures; hopefully this takes care of the problem for future users.

Best,

Wes Herron - Manufacturing

Lectrosonics, Inc.

I just opened mine up today because I couldn't remember if I had the jumpers in the off position.

A switch would've been great!! Oh well, never mind.

I now have a big note stuck on the front that says

"Antenna bias OFF"

I'll probably just use my Bias T if I need antenna power next time.

If the jumpers are missing altogether, can one still use passive antenna like SNA600, or ALP620. I'm assuming not but would it work? Larry?

Thanks

Mega

I just opened mine up today because I couldn't remember if I had the jumpers in the off position.

A switch would've been great!! Oh well, never mind.

I now have a big note stuck on the front that says

"Antenna bias OFF"

I'll probably just use my Bias T if I need antenna power next time.

If the jumpers are missing altogether, can one still use passive antenna like SNA600, or ALP620. I'm assuming not but would it work? Larry?

Thanks

Mega

Hi Peter,

Jumpers out is the same as having the jumpers in the stored position. The stored position connects nothing, so "gone" is "off".

Passives will work fine, gone or off. Modified SNA600 and regular ALP620 will work in any position; on, off, or gone.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks Larry. That's really good to know that one could get by with passive antenna if the jumpers were missing or using external Bias T's.

My future work around for opening the Venue is using Bias T's externally and leaving the internal jumpers in the OFF position.

Once again, we are so lucky to have Larry and Wes answer these questions directly. No other industry is like this and I'm pretty sure the camera manufacturers don't reply to their customers in the camera world like the Lectro guys!!

Bravo Lectro (and the other companies like SD and Zax)

PM: " That's really good to know that one could get by with passive antenna if the jumpers were missing or using external Bias T's. "

pretty basic: the jumper provides power for active antenna components, no power would (only) work with passive antenna systems; and bias-T power insertion would only be appropriate for inserting power into an antenna system that does have active components that require it...

PM: " That's really good to know that one could get by with passive antenna if the jumpers were missing or using external Bias T's. "

pretty basic: the jumper provides power for active antenna components, no power would (only) work with passive antenna systems; and bias-T power insertion would only be appropriate for inserting power into an antenna system that does have active components that require it...

Thankyou.

Just thought there might be circuit that needed to be completed, even for passive antenna.

We're not all electronic technicians!! But we do have some idea how electronics work!!

Cheers

Thankyou.

Just thought there might be circuit that needed to be completed, even for passive antenna.

We're not all electronic technicians!! But we do have some idea how electronics work!!

Cheers

It's never wrong to ask. I've seen some devices, circuits and software  that were "weakly" designed doing the most illogical things. I've been responsible for a few. The crow platter resides permanently in my office since that results in the fewest average steps when it travels to deserving people.

Best,

Larry Corvus Fisher

Lectro

It's never wrong to ask. I've seen some devices, circuits and software that were "weakly" designed doing the most illogical things. I've been responsible for a few. The crow platter resides permanently in my office since that results in the fewest average steps when it travels to deserving people.

Best,

Larry Corvus Fisher

Lectro

LOL.

We've all eaten crow at some stage!!

• 6 years later...
On 5/4/2014 at 11:01 PM, LarryF said:

Hi Peter,

Jumpers out is the same as having the jumpers in the stored position. The stored position connects nothing, so "gone" is "off".

Passives will work fine, gone or off. Modified SNA600 and regular ALP620 will work in any position; on, off, or gone.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

What modifications do the SNA600 need to work with a Venue? 

the SNA600 will be seen as a short circuit by anything supplying voltage for powered antennas.

the SNA600A fixes this. its a very simple mod if you are comfortable with a soldering iron to do. you'll need to make a break on a part of the circuit board of the antenna and add a capacitor. speak to lectrosonics and they will be able to talk you through what is required, and if not tell you the part you need, send it to you.