Mic Case / Cigar Caddy

Nathaniel Robinson

Sennheiser's case for the MKH20/30/40/50 is nice enough, but takes up a lot of space inside a Pelican. Same goes for my Schoeps case. While looking for a compact solution, I found this "cigar caddy"; popular with the festival taping community:

dusy8yse.jpg

It's not quite Pelican grade, but it seems to offer a snug fit and adequate protection (stored inside my pelican 1510).

nyhadyby.jpg

7ena5y6y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got the plastic tubes from mc-master carr - thanks to Senator...

you may have to put some padding in between individual elements or they will run against each other...

-vin

Because I didn't want to pay for the overpriced tubes that vark sells - I was looking the McMaster tubes. But what did you do for end caps - McMaster has rubber plugs but o wasn't sure about them holding on so well.

While strawling a little in a hardware store I found out by accident that knitting needle cases(they are actually tubes) work well too.

They are the same ones sennheiser supplies with their mics, at least with my 8060. They work well with my other neumann mics too. 

22mm is a good width for most mics.

for example see:

http://www.hobbydoos.nl/winkel/producten/haaknaaldenkoker.asp

I put a bit of foam rubber in the bottom and cut of the the other part until it locks the mic well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Because I didn't want to pay for the overpriced tubes that vark sells - I was looking the McMaster tubes. But what did you do for end caps - McMaster has rubber plugs but o wasn't sure about them holding on so well.

You get what you pay for.

Vark's Drytubes were developed in part to help solve a problem I was having traveling with gear. While the price is high at first glance, I've been extremely happy with mine which I have used since around 1998. They solved most all humidity related problems with my Schoeps mics (once the ring connectors were cleaned properly) because the mics have traveled assembled for the last 15+ years. Hence little to no condensation, oxidization or dirt on the ring connectors. The tubes also solved the problem of the blue flocking in the old style Schoeps boxes getting into capsules. 

Part of the appeal is the ruggedness of the tube, due in large part to the Lexan ends. The custom fabricated ends also hold the silica gel capsules that keep the mics dry.

While I'm close friends with all the folks at Vark (having known one of them since we were in high school together 45 years ago and was a neighbor of their shop for more than 20 years) I get no break on price of their products and paid dearly for the first tubes I bought because they were a custom product They are without a doubt one of the best accessory purchases I've made especially in light of the cost of the mics they protect.

Best regards,

Jim

I carry an MKH40 in a Peli 1040 - with plenty of room for a square clip AND two more MKH8040s (in their 85x60x30mm cardboard box which has been their home nearly since I bought them). It slightly flattens the 40's foam head if I decided to carry that in the same case.

Jez