Rigging a 2nd mic to a boom.

dominiquegreffard

Yeah i guess carrying a second boomboy with an extra boom is the way to go. It s just that extra gear again to bring. If i could just rig a second mic to the same boom wouldn t that work? I mostly use a mkh50 for interior work. It's a pretty light mic. I'm sure the boom boy could carry that extra weight.

Thanks dfisk for the suggestion but it doesn t look like the stereo bar can be changed axis from the pole. It would be a bit difficult to operate

I see camera monitors have these tiny aluminum magic arms wouldn t that work? The ideal plan would be to always carry one of these and rig it with a 2nd mic once in a while when needed.

The problem with the logic here is the assumption that the subjects will be at a distance from each other which is convenient for whatever workaround you are attempting.  And if you need to quickly adjust one mic, then suddenly you have to adjust two.

Two poles on two stands would be the most flexible and professional way to go.  Or a Mafer/Cardellini clamp with a mic adapter, which can be attached to a second c-stand.  That'll work in a pinch.

But putting 2 mics on one pole is a mistake.

The problem with the logic here is the assumption that the subjects will be at a distance from each other which is convenient for whatever workaround you are attempting.  And if you need to quickly adjust one mic, then suddenly you have to adjust two.

Two poles on two stands would be the most flexible and professional way to go.  Or a Mafer/Cardellini clamp with a mic adapter, which can be attached to a second c-stand.  That'll work in a pinch.

But putting 2 mics on one pole is a mistake.

+1

J.D.

Everything else aside, is the thought to clamp a maffer to a boom pole? I would be worried about damaging it.

Maybe in a perfect situation, something like a X/Y setup would work, but there are so many variables that I would plan on 2 booms (or equivalent mic stands) if you are going into the job wanting mics on both people.

Did this on a job once where we were shuttling thru an assembly line of 2 person interviews where there wasnt time for wiring. I pulled it off using a single pole, 2 mics and the addition of a plastic clamp used for drum mics that normally would mount to the rim of a drum. Lyre suspensions on both. The talent were in directors chairs just far enough apart where a felt a single cardioid mic wasnt adequate. I was lucky it worked for that scenario, but now knowing if i had to do it again i would have used 2 booms. Yes i could move quick, but making subtle changes was dificult. Different size people, etc. the time it took to make those sublte changes combined with the constrictions of placement via single pole truly equaled what it would have took for 2 sep booms. I personally suggest 2 booms all the way. Dont forget shadows too. The space was lit well to work around those potential issues. One pole means you are locked to flying in left or right. 2 poles means anywhere outta the lights!

Ken