CLEANING UP A BOOM POLE

Sergey

Clamp it with a vice gentl (GENTLY!! Be careful not to crush it). Then turn it until it comes loose. You need to clean the boom pole with either water with some gentle soap or just water, then make sure to "lubricate" with wd40 or equivalent. I use a toothbrush to clean the threads. And sometimes I use cotton tips.

To take the pole apart, screw all the rings off and pull the parts out one by one. Pretty simple.

I'd also steer away from WD40 as a lubricant. It attracts dirt. You could clean the pole and threads with WD40, but I'd clean it all off afterwards.

I think VDB recommends some sort of graphite powder for lubricant. Or none at all, if memory serves.

Oh yeah definitely not soak the whole pole in wd40. My bad. I meant the threads.

hi, 

the boom is after is clean but its steel very hard to open it,pulling the poles out (the Higher i go its more hard) even when the Nuts where taken apart...i used WD 40 and it did not help other.

do someone have any suggestions.

• 1 year later...

I've had the last ring stuck too. Opened it carefully with a water pump plier, protecting the ring with a piece of tire tube.

It's better to tighten with pliers by the top end of the ring !!gently!! cause the lower part is not laying on anything (more risks to warp). See here (black part is by the lower side of the boom, golden is the upper side).

http://www.nagrit.com/catalog/images/ghiere.jpg

If the top screw ( http://www.nagrit.com/catalog/images/vdb_repl-tip.jpg ) is hard to take off, after removing the ring, screw a suspension to pull it.

Like already mentionned, do not use any liquid lubricant like WD40, dust and sand will stick on it.

WD40 can be useful to remove adhesive residue, but right after clean with soap and dry.