650 shark fins and boats

hobosoundguy

I would contact Lectro directly. Also, a lot of people make those antennas, maybe somebody makes outdoor versions that are tougher, or maybe you can coat them with some sort of weatherproofing something that won't kill the range. I would carry spares too. Salt air is going to destroy your connectors too. They need to be changed to something better, or protected. Again, maybe somebody makes a permanent install version for sports or other outdoor sites.

Depending on the size of the boat, and the layout, I side may be fine. I've received through windows plenty of times.... Though, is the signal going through glass or the wall of the house (as opposed to your boat that's probably a steel wall). Anything most of us normally use getting that much sea spray would be toast, and probably wouldn't even last those few months. There is a solution. Offhand Deadliest Catch figured out something. I'm pretty sure they rig the boats in a similar way to your idea. Good luck and enjoy the challenge!

Indeed. There is always a way. The boats are small. 50 ft'ers but the issue is they also have small skiff boats that run nets around them and basically take off away from the boat.

As ever it's a daunting prospect: a fixed receiver unit preprogrammed on a shifting boat in the middle of the Atlantic with 4 tx's on board as well as another tx or two on another boat all moving in different plains generally away from each other for 5 months.

Quite the pickle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you could use Omni's? I've seen some around that are in decent ABS housings so would be more durable in the conditions. Place them equidistant between the front and back of the boat....That doesn't solve your issue if your skiff boat go too far away  but a boat driving off in the distance scream "cut away" to me! lol

Indeed. There is always a way. The boats are small. 50 ft'ers but the issue is they also have small skiff boats that run nets around them and basically take off away from the boat.

As ever it's a daunting prospect: a fixed receiver unit preprogrammed on a shifting boat in the middle of the Atlantic with 4 tx's on board as well as another tx or two on another boat all moving in different plains generally away from each other for 5 months.

Quite the pickle.

This sounds like a Zaxcom recording TX case.

The 650's are not going to survive 5 months of salt water. Any thickness polyethylene bag or box will not attenuate the RF. So bag them if you can and close off the bag around the cable. Throw in a bag of desiccant while you are at it. 

Do you need the gain of an amplified antenna, i.e., cable runs over 50 feet or splitters? The 620 might be a better choice if you don't have to have amplification. Remember, excess amplification doesn't increas your range.

Best Regards,

Larry F

Lectro

p.s. I assume you are using waterproof transmitters?.

Didn't they use G3's last season? (I am making an educated guess here)

Any Lectro product with external antennas up high (as practical) will be an improvement in range.

Some heavier plastic and some self sealing tape should protect those connections from corrosion, at least long enough to make it through production.

I think I might try to cover the sharkfins in a protective coat of some kind.

Polyurethane varnish would be an obvious choice. Apply multiple coats (I'm thinking at least six, maybe ten) until there is a thick layer of varnish over the entire antenna like one sometimes sees on tables in bars.

Another thought would be to dip the antenna in the plastic coating that is available for tool handles. Some tools come with a rubbery coating over the handles for good grip and insulation. That rubbery coating can be purchased in jars at most hardware stores. You might have to pour it on rather than dip.

I think either of these coatings should be "invisible" to RF signals but I would recommend a test to confirm. Purchase an antenna, measure signal strength in a controlled circumstance, coat the antenna and repeat the test. If the signal is as before, then the coating did not appreciably attenuate the signal.

David

I think I might try to cover the sharkfins in a protective coat of some kind.

Polyurethane varnish would be an obvious choice. Apply multiple coats (I'm thinking at least six, maybe ten) until there is a thick layer of varnish over the entire antenna like one sometimes sees on tables in bars.

Another thought would be to dip the antenna in the plastic coating that is available for tool handles. Some tools come with a rubbery coating over the handles for good grip and insulation. That rubbery coating can be purchased in jars at most hardware stores. You might have to pour it on rather than dip.

I think either of these coatings should be "invisible" to RF signals but I would recommend a test to confirm. Purchase an antenna, measure signal strength in a controlled circumstance, coat the antenna and repeat the test. If the signal is as before, then the coating did not appreciably attenuate the signal.

David

You can also buy a spray on version of the coating you're describing.

The antenna is already coated. We use a 4 layer board so there is no exposed coax line or solder points. It's not the metal of the antenna that is the problem. It is the BNC connectors and the electronics in the can. Neither of which are going to take kindly to being immersed in varnish or rubbery coating. Or salt spray.

Best,

LEF

I frequently use heavy ZipLoc freezer bags for mine... not out on a boat on the ocean, but definitely in some extremely inclement weather...

With some adhesive or strong tape along the small opening left after zipping up the bag, they should be fine... and the freezer bags are extremely replaceable if they start to show signs of wear.

One thing's for sure -- at $700 each, I wouldn't be coating or dipping them in goo (see Larry's post above.)

~tt

Oh to have the time to test and experiment. Coating seems risky I gotta say.

I'd be happier debating with production for replacing a salt damaged 650 3 months from now as opposed to a glue covered one in wk 1.

Thinking of heat shrinking the connectors. Then bag and seal it.