battery options for zaxcom camera receivers

osa

like the senator would tell me to, i called zaxcom with this question first before posting - among a few other questions i had, and they were happy to assist. it was told to me that zax is working with a 3rd party for some sort of rech battery solution for camera receivers but no details on what exactly or when something like this might be available. i am looking for a small footprint solution for cameras that dont have d taps or hirose power taps etc. was curious to know what others might be doing for this similar setup? from what i have been seeing, an rx900s seems to be the smallest solution for that sort of setup as of now. please feel free to correct me if i have this wrong.

Best,

Ken

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... yes, the rx900 will use internal batteries as opposed to qrx models that will light up with at least 12V ext. power.

And please note that: use NiMH rechargeable batts if you go the rx900 route; it's the type of batts that will give you the best cost/running time ratio. Alcalines are to avoid (something like 1 hour vs the NiMH's 4 hours or so runtime).

The qrx will work fine with type L Sony batts mounted on a **Nebtek Liba plate** that regulates your 7.4V up to the needed 12V for the rx. Less compact, but more recent model of rx with more options...

Wow thanks guys! Checked out the nebtek stuff and that certainly seems viable. Jack, that pack you posted - is it as simple as wiring a plug to it and affixing to the receiver somehow? What is your method for charging these? That really is a good find like a cordless phone or rc car batt. Glad to see there are some options that seem to work good for this purpose

Ken

For the Nebtek Liba, if you order the 12v output option, does it stay stable at 12V or is there a range?  I assume the QRX hates getting power much below 12.0?

... yes, the rx900 will use internal batteries as opposed to qrx models that will light up with at least 12V ext. power.
And please note that: use NiMH rechargeable batts if you go the rx900 route; it's the type of batts that will give you the best cost/running time ratio. Alcalines are to avoid (something like 1 hour vs the NiMH's 4 hours or so runtime).
The qrx will work fine with type L Sony batts mounted on a **Nebtek Liba plate** that regulates your 7.4V up to the needed 12V for the rx. Less compact, but more recent model of rx with more options...

I have the batteries like Jack linked. Great results. You can also get super cheap 12volt "security system" batteries on eBay. They have a plastic case and power switch. There are a few threads on this site about this. Try searching for "external batteries for QRX100", but you will pretty much find the info that's already been posted

I take it that the Liba plate regulates the voltage; never had issue with it feeding my QRX (took the info here on the forum from another member at the time, maybe soundslikejustin...).

Plus, you can order the Liba plate with different voltage outputs (5V, 12V, 14.4V); another cue there's probably a regulator Inside the plate. I'd have to measure...

I take it that the Liba plate regulates the voltage; never had issue with it feeding my QRX (took the info here on the forum from another member at the time, maybe soundslikejustin...).

Plus, you can order the Liba plate with different voltage outputs (5V, 12V, 14.4V); another cue there's probably a regulator Inside the plate. I'd have to measure...

Yep, probably was me.

I used the non-regulated (14.4v) version of the LIBA plate, which feeds the battery voltage straight through. The other plates do indeed have an internal regulator, but considering the voltage range of the QRX it's not needed. Also, some people have reported difficulty starting the QRX (it's boot current requirements are quite high) with a regulator in line.

• 1 month later...

I placed an order for the Nebtek Liba SL (the one that brings 7.2v up to 12v) two weeks ago, and they are telling me these will not be avail to ship til August. Can anyone recommend a similar alternative? Does this type of thing exist by another manufacture that works with sony batts? My searches are finding nothing but the one i tried to order from the place i tried to order from. I can get by with power options i have avail to me for now but would much rather have this as a low profile option since i have ao many sony batts on hand.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

wanted to confirm the ikan ac107s was indeed a success for my qrx235. it comes with a coiled power cable attached but i was able to cut it just after coiling starts and wire in a switchcraft zaxcom style dc connector, and it worked well wrapping around the back of connectors with the tiny bit of natural coil still in the cable. ran 2x sony 7.9v 2500mAh batteries successfully for 3hrs10min. ran at 11.98v w multimeter tests almost to the bitter end of the battery. velcro'ed to the top of my qrx holds it pretty tight and i was also able to leave a little ventilation gap for the qrx under the plate. it appears to be a little cheaper than the nebtek liba plate and also the ikan seems to be in stock at a few usual suspect locations. i am pretty happy with it so far. thanks everyone for all your input! this, an np1 cup and also multiple power taps for cameras seems to have me covered for just about every power solution needed. WOW is this CL setup amazing.

Best,

Ken

post-2171-0-85531000-1404254421_thumb.jp

i looked into the getting a LIBA as well but availability problems (backordered until August) led me to digging around on ebay.   So I got a couple of these for $50 each to test out and turns out they last all day only powering off for lunch.  They come w a charger and I made my own cable to power the Rx.  Lightweight and not too bulky, it's easily held on with some velcro.   There's no gas gauge or charge indicator but the included charger has an auto shutoff so i just leave them on charge the night before I need them and all good.  

12vlipobatt.jpg

ebay seller is "dennis6z7a"