Sound Devices 633 + Sony F3 cam + Lectrosonics SRb-SMVs cam link.... Gain structure

Boomboom

Hi , working with a Sony F3 tomorrow and while setting up I noticed something about the gains...

I'm outputting at -10 from the 633 outputs to the SMVs. Doing the usual routine with the rxs: levelling up the gain til the -10 green LED lights up then go down one step.

On the SRb side, mounted on the cam , I use Line levels on the cam inputs (manual), outputting to +5 from the SRb. Adjusting the levels to -20 on the camera from the SRb's tone (1KHz).

Now the funny part: when I send a tone from the 633 after setting it all up this way, the cam levels are at -30.

I'd have to boost the gain from 26-28 to something around 38 on the SMVs now to modulate at -20 on the cam...

If I wanted to use a Line level output instead of the -10 level on the 633, I'd have to pull down the gain on my SMVs to around 3 ... Mmmm. :-/

The workaround as of now is going kind of "kif-kif" : I still output at -10 from the 633, then slightly boost level at 24 on the SMVs, adjust the levels at -25 on the cam instead of usual -20 (from my 633 tone) and will go that way but the question remains; what settings are you using if by any chance one of you is having the same equipment setup? Usually there's not such a difference between my mixer/recorder tone and the tone from my rx in the end of setup; but I'm now dealing with a not-so-much encountered cam (it's more like C300s everywhere here nowadays) and a new recorder so I might easily be wrong somewhere...

Possibly your cables and/or… ???

633 User Guide and Technical Information 

Adjusting Output Levels

The nominal level of analog outputs can be adjusted from Setup Menu options OUTPUTS > XLR-L Out, OUTPUTS > XLR-R Out, OUTPUTS > TA3-X1 Out, and OUTPUTS > TA3-X2 Out. The available options are Mic, Line, and -10.

The master level of L, R, X1, X2, X3, and X4 buses can be adjusted in 1 dB increments from 0 dB down to -30 dB / Off. To adjust the bus levels of L, R, X1, X2, X3, or X4 buses:

1. Press the Meters Button repeatedly until a Meter View is displayed that includes the output to be adjusted.
  2. Rotate the Select Encoder to highlight the meter label of the output to be adjusted.
  3. Press the Select Encoder. The background of the output’s meter label will become yellow to indicate that level adjustment mode is accessed.
  4. Rotate the Select Encoder to adjust the level. The dB value will be displayed in the lower right corner of the LCD during adjustment.
  5. Press the Select Encoder again, or wait 2 seconds. The background color of the meter label will become grey to indicate exit from level adjustment mode.

Output level adjustments do not affect tone signal from the 633’s tone generator.

Good luck boom boom.

Thanks T_will

But reading my post and going through it all again I realized I simply was not adjusting my SMVs gains the right level. Mislead/brainfart about the LEDs "code" . Like some would say:"doh!"(I was way too low!) ...

Thanks again, I skipped that part in the 633 manual about fine tuning for output levels (they were ok but it's good to know).

All set now for a second day of work with the 633.... :)

On the SRb side, mounted on the cam , I use Line levels on the cam inputs (manual), outputting to +5 from the SRb. Adjusting the levels to -20 on the camera from the SRb's tone (1KHz).

Lectrosonics receivers calibration tone outputs at maximum modulation (it shows the loudest possible signal you would get as if the transmitter was at full modulation). It's not intended to be calibrated to -20, it's supposed to be set to "max desired peak level".