new bds for new bag!

jwill

Changed up my BDS system for the new 633. I went with Cable Techniques Battery Bud.

I just like the hi rose connections, they seem more secure IMHO and if I have to add battery eliminators or an IFB to the setup and can just snap in/route the cable and done...no extra clutter inside the bag.

Plus I like the bottom exit of the  Battery Bud, makes it much cleaner in the side pocket! Its tucked into side pocket (I cut a slit so the belt clip would be secure) and route the cables down and thru

post-4437-0-23966300-1398871205_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

i built my own battery bud but it was just a ripoff because im cheap.  way superior to threaded DC plugs as far as im concerned.  the only thing that i have seen on the other battery distros that i like is a USB power port.  i would use if for a cheap USB light for those dark mixing days.  i have a USB port on order and im going to implement it into my knockoff.  +1 vote here.

Although I use the threaded BDS connector version of the SSS MD-6, I am personally a huge fan of the product, specifically the fact that all the connector points are in line with each other instead of staggered like most other options, and the slim and long form factor takes advantage of vertical space in the bag.

Gene now has a version available with a USB charger built in. Ive been using a DIY volt meter/USB charger with my older MD-6, and like it a lot. You can see the thread about those here: 

i had no idea about thos AudioRoot boxes, Lucas.  nice.  i had a hard time finding prices and since i have a box of hirose connectors and im wired that way already i think ill just put one together. we shall see.  i remember when i first got my bag i scoffed at NP-1s and all the technology and bought lead acid batteries from the local motorcycle shop.  pfaaaaw i said.  i can make this cheaper....  only after a few months of that weight did i concede that buying an existing technology was a good idea. 

Question though...  i was working with a NYC DP the other day and he looked at my bag and said ,"oh?  still using NP1s?... old school" and i wondered what he meant.  we arent supposed to be buying Dionics to make the cameras guys job easier are we?  whats the NEW tech?

I suspect he meant Dionics...but not until my last NP-1 takes its last gasp of lithium ion air.  Then maybe

I have drooled over the Audio Root boxes for some time now...just cuz they look cool.  Me thinks my DIY distro will do nicely for quite awhile!!!

Maybe he meant the old school Ni Cad NP-1s which still work.

I use the IDX Li-Ion NP-7s (blue) as I suspect you might (for all my bag work). Longer run time. I still call them NP-1s though. Same shape/size different chemical/technology inside. 

First post, Hi everybody.

I'm in the process of building my own BDS. Looking at the price of all the parts included it's still pretty pricey  Probably like 1/3 the price. Especially considering if I have to source some of these connectors from multiple vendors. That's not including any fuses or filtering if I decided to add it. 

To each their own. 

First post, Hi everybody.

I'm in the process of building my own BDS. Looking at the price of all the parts included it's still pretty pricey  Probably like 1/3 the price. Especially considering if I have to source some of these connectors from multiple vendors. That's not including any fuses or filtering if I decided to add it. 

To each their own. 

1. you can get pretty much everything you need from Mouser or Digikey. 

2. not having any fuses is not good. 

1. you can get pretty much everything you need from Mouser or Digikey. 

2. not having any fuses is not good. 

I'm getting switchcraft locking plugs from mouser, and the rest from markertek.com. They have really good prices on Canare quad cable. Thanks for reminding me of digikey. I want to try doing as much in one batch order as possible. 

adding the USB functionality would be pretty easy, just a 5v voltage regulator.