Testing a 744T recorder

rstl99

Hi all,

I just purchased a 744 on consignment at Trew Audio and was informed that they don't check them before selling them.  However, they offer a 5 day testing-and-return policy which means that if I find something wrong with it I can return it for a refund, though I pay the shipping cost.

I have a couple of questions:

1. the recorder doesn't come with a power supply or battery, so which battery should I go out and buy in order to be able to test it?

2. I'll download and read the manual for it, but what would you recommend as quick tests to make sure that all works on it (are there on-board diagnostics)?

Thanks for your help.

--Robert

I bought one of these batteries. It's great....

Maximal Power NP-F950/F970 Replacement Battery for Sony Digital Camera Camcorder by Max... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FA0B3U/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_8Fwytb0GYH3DC

You can call SD, but there aren't really "self diagnostics" other than going through all menu selections and flipping all the switches and trying each thing for functionality.

But I bet it's just fine.

If you build a hirose cable for powering the unit, there are two wiring options. Jumping 1/2 and 3/4 together with charge the onboard battery while plugged in to external power. Wiring only 1 and 4 will not charge the onboard battery.

Robert

robert: " #1. ...which battery should I go out and buy in order to be able to test it? "

reverse your priorities: make RTFM #1, it will generally answer #2...(there are lots of specific battery options to select from amongst, price depending on a number of variables amongst compatible batteries, and of course the external options including an AC supply)...

" (are there on-board diagnostics) "

well, sort of, but probably not what you expect. (Geordi, run a level 4 diagnostic on the warp core)

now you have me wondering if you did enough homework before making this purchase..?

" quick tests to make sure that all works on it "

'quick' and 'all' do not go together well in this context.

thus, I'm also, frankly, wondering if you have enough common-sense ...?

power it up (it does a lot of its 'diagnostics' on every power-up....begin connecting things to it, and testing its functions , pretty much basics first, then more options/variations/menu-items/detailed functions...

You can always contact the Sound Devices support department, support@sounddevices.com or (608) 524-0625, and get information on the service history of the 744T (or any SD product). We can tell you how old the unit is, if it has been info for service before and its update history... Kind of like the recorder's equivalent of a medical record. All very valuable information when purchasing a previously loved SD recorder.

744T Product Page is a good place to start too. From here you can check to see in your firmware is up to date and the tech notes on the page offer some great info one many surrounding elements of the 744T (Like how to change the Time Code battery and so on...)

Hope this helps!

I bought one of these batteries. It's great....

Maximal Power NP-F950/F970 Replacement Battery for Sony Digital Camera Camcorder by Max... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FA0B3U/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_8Fwytb0GYH3DC

You can call SD, but there aren't really "self diagnostics" other than going through all menu selections and flipping all the switches and trying each thing for functionality.

But I bet it's just fine.

If you build a hirose cable for powering the unit, there are two wiring options. Jumping 1/2 and 3/4 together with charge the onboard battery while plugged in to external power. Wiring only 1 and 4 will not charge the onboard battery.

Robert

Thanks Robert, your help and advice are very much appreciated.  I'll look into the hirose cable situation in due time, and will heed your suggestion in that regard.

You can always contact the Sound Devices support department, support@sounddevices.com or (608) 524-0625, and get information on the service history of the 744T (or any SD product). We can tell you how old the unit is, if it has been info for service before and its update history... Kind of like the recorder's equivalent of a medical record. All very valuable information when purchasing a previously loved SD recorder.

744T Product Page is a good place to start too. From here you can check to see in your firmware is up to date and the tech notes on the page offer some great info one many surrounding elements of the 744T (Like how to change the Time Code battery and so on...)

Hope this helps!

Thanks Jesse, I've just sent an email to Customer Support with the serial number and asking for any information they may have on its history.  Thanks for the suggestion, and for the pointers to excellent information on the Sound Devices site.

This is the first Sound Devices product I acquire, and though I've been reading about them a lot over the last couple of years, I've yet to hold one in my hands.  Sorry if my question may have sounded a bit simplistic.  I'll learn, and look forward to using this fine recorder.

robert: " #1. ...which battery should I go out and buy in order to be able to test it? "

reverse your priorities: make RTFM #1, it will generally answer #2...(there are lots of specific battery options to select from amongst, price depending on a number of variables amongst compatible batteries, and of course the external options including an AC supply)...

power it up (it does a lot of its 'diagnostics' on every power-up....begin connecting things to it, and testing its functions , pretty much basics first, then more options/variations/menu-items/detailed functions...

Thanks Senator, for the good "sensible" advice.

Hey rstl99, I'm in ottawa too. If  you want to borrow my power supply or battery just let me know.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for offering!  I had thought of you actually, and sent you an email a while ago, suggesting something similar.  Cheers.

--Robert

Robert

p.s. I also recently bought a SQN 4S II mixer, so will research in past posts about power solutions that would address both the 744 and the SQN.  Cheers.

I'm wondering why you went the 744 route. A lot of people selling used ones are asking 2.0k to 2.5k for them. If you also just bought a SQN mixer I'm guessing you are close to the 3k mark.  A 633 is 3k and is new, can be used as a mixer, has more tracks plus a lot more bells and whistles.  To me, it does not make sense to buy a 744 as your first recorder unless you get it dirt cheap - say under 1.5k.  Hopefully you did.

While your new used 744 is prob just fine, you really might want to consider letting the folks at the mothership have a look at it at some point soon.  They've caught a few things on my 2 very hardworking 744s BEFORE they were problems, for which I was very grateful.

There will probably be some discussion about updating the INHDD of the 744 to SATA.  I've kind of been through the ringer around this update--if you want details PM me.  

Do read the manual well, the 744 is a lot "deeper" a machine than many people (even owners) understand.

philp

^^^^ what Jesse said, since this thread will live on. When I bought a used 442 years ago, I called Sound Devices. They could tell me the firmware, if it had ever been serviced and what revisions had happened since mine was sold, and what it would cost to bring it up to date (had the old power connector etc). That was when the 442 was still a current product, but regardless they gave me a lot of helpful info on the unit.

I'm wondering why you went the 744 route. A lot of people selling used ones are asking 2.0k to 2.5k for them. If you also just bought a SQN mixer I'm guessing you are close to the 3k mark.  A 633 is 3k and is new, can be used as a mixer, has more tracks plus a lot more bells and whistles.  To me, it does not make sense to buy a 744 as your first recorder unless you get it dirt cheap - say under 1.5k.  Hopefully you did.

On a thread a few months ago soliciting advice on a good digital recorder for my needs, the 744 was recommended by many of the learned folks on this forum.  I'm up in Canada so prices and availability are different here, and make it difficult to cross-border shop (duty, taxes, shipping, poor dollar exchange rate).  If you can find used 744's under 1.5K, you must be looking in different places than I have.  The SQN will mainly be used with my analog Nagras, but will see some use with the 744 probably.  The 633 is beyond my budget, and offers capabilities and features beyond my needs (I'm not a sound guy - more into music recording, ambient and nature sounds).  I could have settled for a 702 but liked the hard drive and added features of the 744.  Regards.

I can't remember if I advised you or not in that topic but the 744t is a great recorder and I hope you find it to you're liking. 

CrewC

Thanks Crew, you were indeed one of the learned ones who pointed me toward the 744.  I'll be putting it through its paces and hope it's a keeper.

IMO, the 744 is a different beast from the 664, 633 or Nomad. It is a solid purchase.

Thanks Jason, I appreciate that.

With the generous help of a local sound recordist (thanks Chris!) we were able to go through the menu items and functions of the recorder last night and it seems to pass the test.  I'll be putting it through some recordings this weekend to make sure nothing bad comes up, but it looks like it's a keeper.  This being my first Sound Devices gear, I'm very impressed with how much SD has packed into this tight little package, and the ingenious thinking that's gone into its design and layout.

Thanks guys.

Here's a neat trick I was told by Sound Devices to check the functionality of the LED's on your 744t, it turns on all LEDs except LIM and Headphone:

To display all the LED's,  power the unit off.

Hold the RWD + PLAY + STOP buttons all at the same time.

Power the unit up. To turn this off, just push the power button.