633 TC Transcription.....not so much

jwill

Worked with my new 633 today and assumed that the mp3 file I recorded would have linear tc.

No sir, it just stamps a tc value at the start of the file...NG for this client....luckily I started and stopped the recorder each question and had tc values at the head of each file!

QUESTION IS....there is tc cooking inside the 633, how can you get it put down in a linear fashion?

My 552 was able to replace left or right with linear tc....don't think that it could stamp linear tc w/out replace l/r .

Any how, I hope there is a firmware update to fix this issue, what are other JW Sound folks doing ?

JHW

Check out this thread at Sound Devices forums. Apparently timecode on an audio channel is "on the list" to be included in a future firmware update.

http://forums.sounddevices.com/forum/field-mixers/-633-mixer/30689-feature-request-tc-to-record-track-for-mp3-transcription

Meanwhile, it is possible (howbeit a real pain) to take the timecode output of the 633, send it to an unused input, and route that input ONLY to say the left channel of the SD card and mono mix of the dialog to the right channel of the SD card, or something similar.

Tom

OLD SCHOOl.

called SD was told there may be a firmware update...In the mean time...Tom how do you access the tc  output

I was thinking  (till firmware update) denecke GR2 in to an unused input and jam Camera and send l/r mix to sd card....will tc folo it to ch 3! or do i iso everything and send to cf card?

JHW

jwil: " assumed that the mp3 file I recorded would have linear tc. "

why ??  really, why would you assume anything like that..?

Industry standards of TC for digital storage files on disc's, drives, etc. have long been based on a TC stamp in the file header. linear TC for MP-3 transcription is a bit of an anomaly, frequently involving some patching...

" how can you get it put down in a linear fashion? "

I doubt you can, but as Crew said: " a call to SD will answer your questions "

A simple Lemo5 - XLR (or TA3) cable will do the trick.

Connect the timecode to an input, remove it from the L/R Mix and Assign it to X1.  Assign your audio inputs to X2.  Select Record MP3 (X1/X2) to the SD Card in the recorder menu.

Oh, and FYI, the 552 stamped the Timecode in the MP3 ID3 tags even with Replace Left selected.   The 7 Series recorders pioneered the stamped MP3 file using this method as well.

RP

good adviceI have a Denecke GR-2...how would you route it....to not in use channel...does it need to be padded down?

Why not take a feed from the TC out on the 633, throw a 15db pad on it and shove it in channel 2? How would that not work?

Use this cable with a xlr splitter so you could still have a way to jam your slate AND feed channel 2:

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sound-Devices-XL-LX-Lemo-5-Time-Code-Cable.html

Matt

You say TC input,( TC is in the 633)....so take tc out put and insert it via the menu or physicaly into x1 and assign mix to x2! sinple as that?

JHW

As Mirror said, time code output to a 633 input.  No need for the pad, just use a line level input.

As Mirror said, time code output to a 633 input.  No need for the pad, just use a line level input.

I mentioned using a pad 'cuz inputting TC on a channel scares me. It comes in so dang hot and is such a nasty sounding signal that I fear bleed over. I'm sure this paranoia stems from my old tape days. None the less, I pad down that TC channel to well below -20.  Let them dig it out later.

I mentioned using a -15 pad because that's what I have in my kit. -10 is probably better.  Also, when I've done the transcription thingy I've used a 744 for the MP3 and a Deva as my main recorder which was the TC master. Even at line level on the 744 input I have to turn the gain ALL the way down to stay at -20 on the meter. Inserting the pad gave me a little breathing room.

Just my 2 cents.

If you are recording for the News networks and they are using transcript Associates I strongly recommend and mono program recording on one of the aux busses as a poly .WAV file, download their application PRESS and squash to .ogg files.  This maintains the metadata, timecode stamp, and is compressed smaller than most MP3 files.  It also speeds the upload and get to happy hour process!

Hummm...this is good to know. Thanks.

Edit: Wanted to check it out and didn't see any mention of this app on their website.  Any insight?

I've used PRESS -- it works fine.  I've also used Nomad-created MP3s and they, likewise, worked great with Transcript Associates. 

As others have mentioned, a time code stamp in the header is standard for file-based audio and video.  It also cuts the upload time in about half, as having a linear TC track doubles the file size. 

Any transcript house not stuck back in the last century should be able to handle standard digital files without issue.  If the company your client is using doesn't understand file-based delivery, perhaps they'd prefer it couriered to them on an audio cassette via horse and buggy.