buying used microphone.

Sergey

I'd reach out to Pro-Sound, Gotham, Trew, etc. (the reputable dealers that maintain a used/consignment department) and buy from them. While it could be argued that a 416 could be used to hammer in nails, it would be nice to know that a trusted vendor has looked it over and given it's stamp of approval.

E.

These mics occasionally go wonky around the XLR conntection. Plug it in and listen to it while you wiggle the XLR connector. There is a set screw that you can sometimes tighten to help this, but sometimes it just needs to go back to Sennheiser for repair. Shake the mic a bit when you're listening and see if any popping or static crops up. If it sounds clean while jostling the mic, you should be good to go.

P48 416s rarely last long on consignment, but deals are out there. I just picked up an excellent, incredibly clean 416 from Trew's consignment for $800, but it had only been listed a few hours. If you see the one you want, be ready to grab it ASAP.

A camera op(!) friend offered me a very beat up looking 416 for small change (but more than i'd want to spend on a paper weight:-), so i brought along another 416 and my 302 and AB tested it against the good 1. I shook about a bit it to hear for anything loose and wiggled the XLR connector around, it sounded fine to me and still does now, 8 years later. So good in fact i sold the 'good' 416 to finance a sanken cs3e.

dan.

These mics occasionally go wonky around the XLR conntection. Plug it in and listen to it while you wiggle the XLR connector. There is a set screw that you can sometimes tighten to help this, but sometimes it just needs to go back to Sennheiser for repair. Shake the mic a bit when you're listening and see if any popping or static crops up. If it sounds clean while jostling the mic, you should be good to go.

P48 416s rarely last long on consignment, but deals are out there. I just picked up an excellent, incredibly clean 416 from Trew's consignment for $800, but it had only been listed a few hours. If you see the one you want, be ready to grab it ASAP.

This is extremely good advice regarding XLR connection on these mics.

Make sure the outside interference tube (housing with slots in it)  is not damaged (none of the vents dented in)  If the tube is OK, remove the screw from the side of the tube, and gently pull out the electronics.  If the tube is damaged, DO NOT remove the electronics as you will not be able to slide it back in afterward.  Now take a good look at the capsule.   The gold flashing on the capsule should be bright and shinny throughout.   If the microphone has gotten wet, the gold flashing will show signs of damage.  The capsule and the outside tube and the two most expensive parts of the microphone.  If they both are in good condition the microphone will likely operate for another 10 or 20 years.