What earpiece to use when you can't hide a neckloop?

dominiquegreffard

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honesty, these are the kind of questions that a professional shouldn't have to ask.  This technology has been around for over 30 years.  If you're getting jobs and don't know these basic principles then you must be the best car salesman in the world in your interviews with producers.

I know this sounds harsh, but c'mon people, how do you even get to be a mixer without knowing this stuff?  

Was I born with all the knowledge that I needed to be a mixer?  No, but I didn't become a mixer until I had the knowledge.

I hope this trend isn't leaking over into the medical field.

This is not meant to offend you personally, but is a comment about a most disturbing trend.  I'm sure you're a nice guy.

Honesty, these are the kind of questions that a professional shouldn't have to ask. This technology has been around for over 30 years. If you're getting jobs and don't know these basic principles then you must be the best car salesman in the world in your interviews with producers.

I know this sounds harsh, but c'mon people, how do you even get to be a mixer without knowing this stuff?

Was I born with all the knowledge that I needed to be a mixer? No, but I didn't become a mixer until I had the knowledge.

This is not meant to offend you personally, but is a comment about a most disturbing trend. I'm sure you're a nice guy.

Your right, that was harsh and unhelpful for the OP.

Honesty, these are the kind of questions that a professional shouldn't have to ask.  This technology has been around for over 30 years.  If you're getting jobs and don't know these basic principles then you must be the best car salesman in the world in your interviews with producers.

Was I born with all the knowledge that I needed to be a mixer?  No, but I didn't become a mixer until I had the knowledge.

This is not meant to offend you personally, but is a comment about a most disturbing trend.  I'm sure you're a nice guy.

+1

these are the kind of questions that scare me---you're not ready--boom for a while and find a mentor.

J.D.

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for bringing up this subject on JWSound. After 20 years in the game, doing primarily documentaries, and moving now into more narrative work, I'm interested in soaking in all I can on the subject of neckloops and Phonaks.  Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice on that subject, but I will chime in on the feedback generated so far.

This community here has some incredibly talented people giving advice. Some choose to identify themselves, some choose to remain anonymous.  Both choices are valid, and have pro's and con's associated with them.  Sometimes on the feedback, you just have to take what they're willing to give, and not take it personally. Also, when people are anonymous and write things to you, they'll generally say things they wouldn't say to your face.   

The anonymous person Mirror, in my opinion, isn't commenting on you as much as she or he is commenting on the overall "dumbing down of our industry" by production and the frustration of seeing more and more inexperienced mixers getting similar (or possibly even higher profile) jobs, and essentially competing for his share of the pie.  I know I have felt that before.  The level of experience of the production personnel who are hiring me has plummeted over the last ten years.  All they seem to know about is the rate they're supposed to pay.  Many technical or equipment questions I may enquire about, are usually treated with a long pause, and then a phone call back to me later that day. These people are having are hard time even screening us if we're appropriate for the job or not.   What I forget though, is all those jobs I had taken, which may have been over my head at the time, yet I took the job anyway despite the fact that I wasn't the most qualified mixer amongst my peers.  And I improved because of it. 

So please, "don't just stay quiet" and "call the usual suspects" as you alluded to.  Stick your neck out, spark discussions, but maybe just wear a turtleneck.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

No matter how much we might try to answer the OP topic, there is no answer to the question. It is an experience thing and every system has issues. My suggestion to all is, go to one of the fine rental houses and try out the gear. The ones in LA are very friendly. If you live away from such a city, go to one every year. Put some skin in the game. Meet the players at these companies and form relationships with them. They will help you. You will get some hands on with the stuff we all need to use at some point in time. Not everything is online. 

CrewC

No matter how much we might try to answer the OP topic, there is no answer to the question. It is an experience thing and every system has issues. My suggestion to all is, go to one of the fine rental houses and try out the gear. The ones in LA are very friendly. If you live away from such a city, go to one every year. Put some skin in the game. Meet the players at these companies and form relationships with them. They will help you. You will get some hands on with the stuff we all need to use at some point in time. Not everything is online. 

CrewC

I wanted to mention this also but felt I had already said too much.  If I was in the OP's situation, a rental house would be my first place to call and see what they had to remedy the problem.  Relationships at these institutions have pulled my fat out of the fire more than once.  

See? I'm not a dick everytime I post.

I just did a shoot where talents needed discreet earpieces and induction neckloops proved to be very difficult to hide on female talents wearing dresses.

What workaround would you guys suggest for something like that?

A colleague mentionned bluetooth earpieces?

Thanks in advance.

Dominique

Bluetooth earpieces?

Even without a lot of experience with induction loop systems or RF earwigs, I would think that even a most basic knowledge of modern technology would answer the question about whether a Bluetooth earpiece would be discreet.

It's not that we don't mind the occasional question from an inexperienced mixer seeking help with a piece of gear he/she has not encountered before, but try to think a little bit before posting.  It will help you in the long run.

Phonak earpieces would be the go-to solution. I have rented them in the past and my experiences with them vary. I was once given a Comtek 216 transmitter and it worked only at very close range. I needed a Comtek base station transmitter to do the job. The show was a hidden camera show, and I didn't really have an option on where to place the transmitter, and there were some dead spots where the talent would temporarily lose reception. If you are working a job out of a bag and need to be mobile, the base station transmitter issue might be a problem if your talent isn't very close to you.

Sean states well part of the chemistry of the heat that arose here and in other threads.

Others have stated different parts of the equation for fire.

Take these perspectives to heart.

You and other young mixers would do well to recall you are on a pro forum that includes actual pros at the top of their game. You will be remembered and build your reputation based in part or wholly on what you type here.

One of the things I beg new colleagues to do when they first work with me is to ask themselves this before asking any week one question: do you not already know the answer? As with the bluetooth question...as with, "Do you want me to jam the slates / put out Comteks / plug the carts into AC?"

We are required to think on set, in the heat of production battle.

Demonstrate an ability to think things through when not in the heat of battle, and colleagues are likely to grant you the benefit of the doubt and hire.

Layer by thin layer a rep and career are built.

Just thought it might be timely to say that, to remind myself as much as to remind anyone else.

We are not on a set here, even if some of us may be typing while on set, but this is a place where the pressures of set life need not apply.

The issue of a stupid question has come up many times on JWSound, but I think it should be allowed to ask a stupid question sometimes without putting someone's reputation on the line. Of course, most of this question could easily have been answered by searching this forum, but I often think, if you don't have anything nice/helpful to say, then don't say anything at all. Of course, I don't always adhere to that myself... So how about if you come across a stupid question, simply do not respond. Keep the thread hanging, empty.

+1 for Sean ONeil and Constantin.

As a relatively new mixer in the industry, I use this site for answering most of my question and a place to discover new stuff when I drinking my coffee, If a never had do deal whit this problem of using a phonaks earpiece, this new thread come on top of the equipment board this morning a let me grab some new knowledge on the subject. I knew phonaks exist but if a can get experience on people who have been works whit it, that's better.

for me, there's no dumb question, as long as it can serve someone else knowledge 

my two cent 

Antoine

And please remember that the new upcoming mixer are often the one who buy you're old stuff :)

Crew: " go to one of the fine rental houses and try out the gear. "

We understand this is not as easy for many folks as it is for the folks who live where one of our usual suspects does business...

(probably part of the equation for them expanding into additional markets!)... but we all need to establish ongoing relationships with proper rental houses, as they have the specialty items available that many of us do not own ourselves; you call them up with an inquiry "what have you got for <situation>"  (Mirror said it well: "  If I was in the OP's situation, a rental house would be my first place to call and see what they had to remedy the problem. "), and they will bring you up to date on options, and can assist you with your project.  Later, you might patronize their sales department for a purchase.

RPS: " but try to think a little bit before posting. " I see that even back in 2011 RPS was advising the OP to do some searching before asking...particularly for the beginner questions frequently posted prior to the gig that needs the answers, 

... on the other hand, the OP not shy about expousing like an experienced expert when it comes to redesigning new products...

Approach this forum as you wish: pub, boxing ring or permanent record of who and how you are.

Take any advice given here for what it's worth, often toilet paper.

I've re-read what I wrote above and stand by my single-ply toilet paper, but amend "You and other young mixers," to read, "All of us would do well to recall we are on a pro forum that includes actual pros at the top of their game. You will be remembered and build your reputation based in part or wholly on what you type here." Unless of course you post anonymously, which allows you to be as nice or mean as you wish without reward or consequence.

Crew: " go to one of the fine rental houses and try out the gear. "

... on the other hand, the OP not shy about expousing like an experienced expert when it comes to redesigning new products...

SM are you serious? If this is becoming a sludge fest everytime i post a question about a situation that seems soooo obvious to you just let it be man. Why feeling the need to go all "call your local dealer and give us a break" or "you should know this stuff otherwise you re not a real mixer". I myself and bunch of other guys still like the questions threads because they bring perspective and opinions to the table. Even the "wich one is the best microphone" ones.

I'm fine knowing that i don t know certain things and i don t mine posting my opinions about certain products that i know well.

I'll just call my dealer next time around and not post anything if that makes you feel better. That way nobody won't learn anything.

Dom: " That way nobody won't learn anything. "

Oh, sorry,  Now I get it,  you really just are looking out for everyone else here by presenting learning opportunities...

(usually just before a job you need the info for)...

researching = ask jwsoundgroup.net, and no need to do some "re searching" as part of your "research'... (isn't that what re-searching is??)...

I have noted that you frequently offer sage advice to others like an old pro, then want really basic advice for your own projects, as they turn up...often, even after the answers have been discussed here...

last December you advised a newbie: " Talk to your local professional vendor. "

and last July you told a beginner, a novice with almost no experience: "  Most importantly charge accordingly for your services and rentals ( allign your prices with other mixers of your area ) "

Edited by studiomprd