NYC: need boom op for 24 day indie shoot in June

Hi everyone. I will be mixing a feature length indie film in NYC in June and I'm looking for a boom operator preferably with some gear. However, not having gear won't prevent you from being eligible.

Rate is $125/day

Gear I'm looking for:

1 x Lectrosonics lav

1 x smart slate

Obviously there is compensation for any equipment provided. Please inbox me for details or links to your work/imdb/etc.

Thanks!

Chris

TAS: " Last shoot I did with this crew we were fed well... "

...and paid poorly.  serial abuser, they still pay poorly.

Didn't they promise better pay "on the next one" ??

actually,  good that they at least understand they need a 2 person crew....and that an army travels on its stomach

Note that $125 a day is below minimum wage in some areas, assuming you shoot for 12 hours+. Seattle would be bumping it to $180:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2014/05/seattle_might_raise_its_minimum_wage_to_15_this_is_not_a_good_idea.html

Union low-budget rate for a boom op is over $25/hour ($300/day) plus OT. I can see where a non-union thing would be 10-20% lower.

I think $250 is a fairly well-accepted rate for very low-budget projects, and that's with zero equipment. Maybe you can hire somebody with the gear and then have them add another $200/day for the gear, and then they'll be up to a reasonable level for gear and labor. 

BTW, you'll need a receiver with that Lectro lav, and that's another $35-$40 a day.

Note that $125 a day is below minimum wage in some areas, assuming you shoot for 12 hours+. Seattle would be bumping it to $180:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2014/05/seattle_might_raise_its_minimum_wage_to_15_this_is_not_a_good_idea.html

Union low-budget rate for a boom op is over $25/hour ($300/day) plus OT. I can see where a non-union thing would be 10-20% lower.

I think $250 is a fairly well-accepted rate for very low-budget projects, and that's with zero equipment. Maybe you can hire somebody with the gear and then have them add another $200/day for the gear, and then they'll be up to a reasonable level for gear and labor.

BTW, you'll need a receiver with that Lectro lav, and that's another $35-$40 a day.

What Marc said.

Bottom line - they will find some one who will take that rate.

yeah, unfortunately that's not unusually low for a non-union boom op on something around $500k or less. It's sad when a production doesn't think a boom op deserves more than minimum wage. 

Can i do it? So long as i get an air ticket and a place to stay (nothing too luxurious)... Then i can go on holiday all over the US and meet old friends. yippee :)

PS: can bring my headphones and boom pole (s) along. Apart from the smart slate and wireless. Also available: Cantar X2, 664, etc etc. Just ask for it... [ will work it out to fit in the budget! ] 

PS: Have a valid US visa - valid until 2016... :)

Why would a boom op, the person with the responsibly of actually getting the mic in the proper spot, along with all the other skilled tasks a boom op accomplishes, among them actually getting good sound, be offered the same as a PA?

I'm sure the PA rate is $50/day (flat), or possibly "intern" (a copy of a meal and credit on some website).

Can i do it? So long as i get an air ticket and a place to stay (nothing too luxurious)... Then i can go on holiday all over the US and meet old friends. yippee :)

PS: can bring my headphones and boom pole (s) along. Apart from the smart slate and wireless. Also available: Cantar X2, 664, etc etc. Just ask for it... 

PS: Have a valid US visa - valid until 2016... :)

Perfect.

LEF

Independent contractors are not subject to minimum wage laws, only employees (and not all employees).  That may mean that if you are strictly invoice/W9 you can work for pretty much whatever you want.  I believe it's only if you are on payroll that minimum wage laws come into effect.

"Not all workers are entitled to the minimum wage. If you are an independent contractor as opposed to an employee, then you are not covered by minimum wage laws. " - http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/right-minimum-wage-32961.html

Independent contractors are not subject to minimum wage laws, only employees (and not all employees). That may mean that if you are strictly invoice/W9 you can work for pretty much whatever you want. I believe it's only if you are on payroll that minimum wage laws come into effect.

"Not all workers are entitled to the minimum wage. If you are an independent contractor as opposed to an employee, then you are not covered by minimum wage laws. " - http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/right-minimum-wage-32961.html

The issue is not that simple. You don't become an independent contractor simply because you declare yourself one and submit an invoice. According to the IRS, this is most likely an employer/employee relationship even if the production is ignorant to that fact.

I think $250 is a fairly well-accepted rate for very low-budget projects, and that's with zero equipment. Maybe you can hire somebody with the gear and then have them add another $200/day for the gear, and then they'll be up to a reasonable level for gear and labor. 

BTW, you'll need a receiver with that Lectro lav, and that's another $35-$40 a day.

Not to split hairs, but Tier 1 rates in NYC (Local 52) is right around $20/hour for straight time (hours 1-8 )

There is also Tier 0.  I have no idea what's up with that though...

Interesting points on contractor vs employee (sorry if I'm taking this thread too far off course). Seems like we get pieces of both sides, but mostly in the independent contractor part.

"However, the U.S. Supreme Court has said that the following factors are significant when determining whether a worker is an independent contractor under the FLSA:

• whether the worker’s services are an integral part of your company’s business (this points to employee status)
  • the permanency of the relationship (the more permanent the relationship, the more likely it is that the worker is an employee)
  • whether the worker has invested in facilities and equipment (if so, this points to independent contractor status)
  • how much control your company has over the worker (the more control, the more likely it is that the worker is an employee)
  • whether the worker has opportunities to make a profit or suffer a loss (as opposed to always earning a set amount of money no matter what happens, like an employee)
  • whether the worker competes in the open market (if so, this points to independent contractor status), and
  • the extent to which the worker operates a truly independent business (the more independence, the more likely the worker is an independent contractor).

The U.S. Supreme Court has also said that the following things have no bearing on whether a worker is an independent contractor or an employee:

• where the worker performs the work 
  • the absence of a formal employment contract, and
  • whether the worker is licensed by a state or local government."

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/independent-contractor-or-employee-government-decision-29681.html

Jes: " Interesting points on contractor vs employee (sorry if I'm taking this thread too far off course) "

there have been other discussions of this.

The IRS continues successfully enforcing its interpretations on more, and more businesses, and has been particularly watching production companies and crews...