sony m10

mateuf

i had a m10 and some old dpa4060 lying around and put together a small rig that i can take with me on travels. really surprised how nice that sounds. the m10 delivers about 3volts, enough to power the dpa´s. the preamps sound more than ok for such a little box. and it runs half a day on 2 AA´s. the mics are mounted on a hd25.

i replaced the 3.5mm jack mic input on the recorder with a less fragile connector . if you rip out the internal mics, there is enough space to put in small connector ( hirose in this case ). you will need something with 4 pins, as the original input is activated by shorting 2 contacts by the sleeve of the jack.

post-1402-0-54630800-1399157573_thumb.jp

post-1402-0-37451900-1399157628_thumb.jp

and two short sound snippets, made with this rig

streetkitchen chiang mai.mp3

atmo chiang mai.mp3

Bought an M10 recently as I have experienced several situations when a great atmos was lost

as was on a domestic trip with a 664 and a Sanken stereo with me.

Did some great crowd fx at a school fair recently but must carry it at all times as you never know.

Walked into a shopping mall last week and the fire alarms went off and a big crowd waited outside chatting.

Did not have the little package with me!!! **&&&$%%%@####

mike

I have a Sony PCM-M10 as well as some binaural mics by Core Sound in NJ.

The set I have are modified Matsushita (Panasonic) capsules. I used them to bootleg concerts on my Sony TCD-D7 DAT when I was in High School. They also sound great for band rehearsal, recitals or even in the studio (Drums).

Core Sound also makes aset of "high end" binaurals using DPA capsules as well. Might be worth it for those not willing/able to hack into their M10 as they use a standard 3.5mm TRS for stereo allowing you the option of stiil using the internal mics in a pinch or just carrying less around.

Great hack though Marco and thanks for sharing!

I have the Core Sound 4060 DPA rig which I like a lot. I also have two other rigs, based on old DPA 4061s, one of which is permanently mounted outside a window in our apartment and connected to my spare SD702. You can hear the results of Sunday's International Dawn Chorus Day recording here:

http://soundcloud.com/soundmanjohn/dawn-chorus-reduction/s-QlSiD

The other set uses a simple circuit to power the DPAs from a 9v battery and which I use for high-level, low-profile recordings. This one feeds whichever of the three Zoom recorders I've remembered to bring with me and is great for noisy transport recordings and the like. It'll be doing duty in ten days, when I'll be sitting behind a twelve cylinder un-silenced Rolls-Royce engine, weather permitting.

I'm on the move at the moment, but will post the powering circuit once. I get home.

Useful little mics, those DPAs.

Regards,

John

Sent from my comfortable seat in a 1st class carriage on a First Great Western High Speed Intercity 125, currently going at about 12.5 mph. (Age has its advantages - discounted rail tickets being one of them.)